New automated Broads Mileage & Time Calculator

DAVIDH

Just wanted to highlight a new website I recently launched aimed at newcomers to the Norfolk Broads which includes an automated distance and time calculator at http://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/distancecalculator.asp

If you give it a try you are presented with the mileage, estimated travel time, the amount of rise and fall at the destination and a couple of lines of cruising advice relevent to that journey which I thought would be of particular use to less experienced cruisers.

Any thoughts on how it could be improved would be useful. I have kept the comments section to two lines as I am hoping, if I can work out how to do it, to add additional from/to sectors which I think would make the basis for an itinerary planner.

Regards

David

David, Hi. Welcome aboard our Forum.

It does indeed look a useful site. Especially the "Find a boat" section where hirers can fill in their preferences and you come up with a list of suitable boats... impressive! :clap:clap:clap

(I'm not too sure where you got the 7ft 3ins clearance for Wroxham Bridge at High Water, though!)

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and also for taking the time to look at my new site: http://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz.

I think the suggestions to detail water points. electric hook-ups, pump-outs and refuse points are good and I will add them to the moorings pages over the next few weeks.

To save time collating can I use the information on Rob Dorlings thread?: http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9034&p=109370&hilit=mooring+details#p109362

Regards

David

Nice site - wish it had been around when I started on the Broads (but then again the internet would of been handy then!)

I like the comment on Wayford Bridge:

"This bridge has little headroom at high water so car should be taken when passing through" - I suppose that could be driven along the river bed giving more headroom :-)

Hi DonnyGeoff and Alan,

Thanks for the suggestions. Don't know how I missed Reedham railway bridge - it will be added shortly.

Alan, regarding Wayford Bridge - could not help but laugh at my own mistake. Actually, it should have said :

"This bridge has little headroom at high water so submarine should be taken when passing through."

Too late now, I have changed it to "care"

David

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on the site to say that I have added Reedham Bridge (which I somehow missed) and have noted facilities in the moorings sections such as electric hook ups, refuse bins, toilets and shower availability as requested.

Below is a link to a downloads page which has a packing list together with some blank cruising plan/itinerary sheets which I use for each visit. I know not everyone likes to plan their trip but I find them useful so as to ensure I get to all the points I wish to visit in my limited time afloat. The plans are available in word or pdf formats. Also included is a specimen plan.

http://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/pl ... cruise.asp

Regards

David

The site is coming on nicely David. Just one thing might be worth adding to the bridges section is right of way. For example, you have mentioned that the tide runs fast through Reedham bridge, but it could be worth highlighting that a craft travelling with the tide has right-of0way over a craft going against it?

The site is coming on nicely David. Just one thing might be worth adding to the bridges section is right of way. For example, you have mentioned that the tide runs fast through Reedham bridge, but it could be worth highlighting that a craft travelling with the tide has right-of0way over a craft going against it?

We know this, Mark... but perhaps an explanation of why?

We know this, Mark... but perhaps an explanation of why?

Because a vessel going against the tide can maintain steerage at a much slower speed over the ground, whilst one going with the tide HAS to go faster than the tide to maintain steerage.

If the boat coming though with the tide tries to stop it will lose control and then probably still be carried into the one coming against the tide.

Oh, come on, Matt and Alan!

We (and most other sensible peeps with limited pockets) know exactly which way the tide is running!

To make a point.... for the Easter Meet at OBYS Mary-Jane & I will leave Brundall at 05.30 to take the Ebb to Reedham and then the Flood to OBYS.

Thu 28 Mar 2013 07:56 07:26 06:56 05:56 04:26 05:26 )(LW Reedham)

It just makes sense to use literally half the diesel!