Winterising the Raw water cooling system.

I have a tube-heater fitted in the engine bay, but with that you are reliant on the mains supply.

A power-cut or 'Trip' going out on the 'Shore Power' supply line, and you could be in trouble.

Hence why I have gone for 'winterising' as opposed to using the tube-heater.

Dave

Yes, sensible thinking for most shore power installations Dave.

I have twin tube heaters and an expensive solid state remote thermostat, but my Marina has suffered occasional outages, even during the coldest spells.

My engine is raw cooled, so the consequences of a freeze would be dire, resulting in thousands of pounds worth of repairs to replace the cracked engine blocks and manifolds. I therefore drain the system between November and March.

Strow, can you please e-mail or PM me with details of those small hatches, they look just the job but I'm trying not to de-rail this thread.

No problem JTF, maybe other people reading the thread would be interested. I bought it from Norfolk Marine at Hoveton, and the full details are on their website here: http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-onl ... -3822.html

It was the smallest of those, the 7" by 11" at £79.18 now :o

They have quite a range, detailed here: http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-onl ... c_subcat=1

and that one, unfortunately, was one of the most expensive for the size, but it was of far superior construction. For instance the hinge pins were stainless steel, while on the cheaper ones they were plastic !

The past couple of winters I have had a small GSM security camera on the boat. It has the added advantage that it sends me a text if the shore power fails. It was more important when we were in a marina where you had to feed cards into the meter, but certainly gave peace of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Digressing from this thread a little but i will post a separate thread in for sale items but they dont pop up as an active topic.

but as heavy duty inspection panels came up....... Im having a clear out and have some lewmar deck plates. Im going to cheat and just paste my flea bay add.

Brand New

Lewmar deck plate

polished stainless steel

winch handle shaped socket for opening .

5" od diameter 3.5" Id (across the opening) requires a 4" hole for fitting.

I have 3 with the cast 'Lewmar' in plate and one with the lewmar sticker. The one with a sticker could be a ebay bargain with a 99p start but im selling at £25 each, I could do a little forum deal for some one though!

post-1162-1367139513_thumb.jpg

post-1162-136713951578_thumb.jpg

1) It is a daily winter job for Marina staff to wander up the pontoons check twice a day that no trips have occurred.

2) I want to be able to use our ship at the drop of a hat but understand fully your reasons Dave; best of luck.

Perry, Hi

In response to 1) I'd just ask if they're around over Christmas/New Year?

And 2) De-winterising the engine is only a matter of opening the sea-cock and off you go! (yes it costs another half gallon of anti-freeze but that's not too exhorbitant!

It is controlled by a Humidstat John so basically senses moisture and 'kicks' in when required.

I have a couple of tube heaters in the engine bay connected to a plug in thermostat set at 7c and leave the engine bay open when I leave the boat.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SM ... tAodmGAAig

I also have a hi lo thermometer in the saloon in addition to the engine bay and despite the cold over the last few winters have never had a reading lower than 7c, so I guess this proves the set up works, being in salt water helps too.

The only casualty I have had in the last few years is a cracked shower head on the transom shower but that is outside and I had forgotten to drain the head :oops: