floods

jillR

A lot of people around the Aston on trent, Barrow, Willington, and Stenson areas have been evacuated from their homes due to flooding, and those who had no alterative accomodation available with friends and family, had to bed down in a local community hall over Christmas and make do with hot drinks and sandwiches.

Some people have been plain silly in trying to drive down flooded roads where 'road closed' signs were displayed, and ended up getting stuck in deep water and needing the emergency services to rescue them, putting further lives in danger :norty:

Its not just those near the rivers that get flooded either, we live half way down a fairly steep road, with a small babbling brook at the bottom, which with the heavy rains of late has swelled to a gushing torrent with all the surface water pouring down, causing the busy road junction down that end to flood to about a foot deep at times. luckily the schools are closed otherwise it would have been a bigger problem as its their main access road :cry:

Julz :wave

Beccles looked very soggy on Boxing Day as we passed the Marina and all the surrounding fields. The sun is actually out this morning but more of the dreaded stuff is forecast for later. Everything is so saturated it has nowhere to go now. Even the Beccles By Pass had water half way across one lane at one point.

Fortunately it does drain away quickly.

:wave hi jill are you still up this end or are you back home ? do you go via dunham bridge? if so, you'll ave to pick a different route back, dunham bridge is flooded & as know that bridge is quite high, they've had to block it off as it's gone over the bridge, i can't believe how high it's risen, ive never ever know dunham flood before, if you are still up here in derbyshire,i hope you get back ok. lori :Stinky

:wave hi jill, we had a lovely Christmas thanks, do i take it that your friends live in derby then ? dunham bridge is near lincoln, it's about 20ft high but the water came nearly to the top of it, & they had to block the toll bridge off as the water was quite deep on the road, even artics could'nt get through, we visited it today but it had hardly gone down, here's a pic of it, lori :Stinky

I feel sorry for all the wildlife and lifestock caught up in the floods, some farms have been unexpectedly caught out, and have lost cattle when fields that are not normally prone to flooding, have unexpectedly had their water tables rise dramatically.

Sheep are especially prone to drowning at this time of year, once their heavy winter fleeces become sodden, swimming to safety becomes just about impossible for many, hence thats why sadly their corpses can eventually sometimes be seen floating in the swollen rivers :cry

Julz :wave

:wave hi john, i'm shocked to still see a house with a well in it, :lol: it must be a very old house ,the last time i saw a well inside a place was in a pub, & it had a glass floor over it, & everybody always walked round it to avoid stepping on it, including me :lol: i was never quite sure just how strong the glass was, whats the highest it been up john ? does it ever worry you that it might come over the top ? lori :Stinky