Spun hub.. need advise

I did dig down and its just smooth metal after the gunky stuff. I had considered grinding some splines into shaft etc but know that bodging it would only result in more issues down the line. The plan is to put all the parts on and re service the whole outboard, new grease and oil all round, clean the carb, new pull start rope. Basically try to get it back to new(ish) condition. Hopefully i wont get stung by customs :-?

Sent from my XOOM 2 ME using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little update: Received the lower unit today after a lot of issues with parelforce ( mainly the fact i paid the customs charges but they didn't update that fact in their system). So after sitting in their depot for 6 days i printed bank statement etc and went to the warehouse and picked up in person. So far it looks in perfect condition. Obviously due to the late hour i've gotten home i'll be fitting it tomorrow/today so wish me luck, and hopefully you'll be seeing me up and running on the broads by this weekend :party:

Little update: Received the lower unit today after a lot of issues with parelforce ( mainly the fact i paid the customs charges but they didn't update that fact in their system). So after sitting in their depot for 6 days i printed bank statement etc and went to the warehouse and picked up in person. So far it looks in perfect condition. Obviously due to the late hour i've gotten home i'll be fitting it tomorrow/today so wish me luck, and hopefully you'll be seeing me up and running on the broads by this weekend :party:

Go on tell us, how much did you get stung on import tax?

Had to pay £48 which was the 20% vat plus an £8 charge. :grin:

Yes, it's closed the door on buying many things from the US, even secondhand on Ebay.

It's quite a contrast to getting the same things from EU countries. Hardly ever any import duty or VAT.

I just bought some used parts for an old moped from Germany, and there's just the postage to pay.

Hi, yeah both are set to neutral, didn't work. So tried both in forward and that didn't work either. Assembling with both in neutral means i get both neutral and forward but no matter what i try i can't get the reverse to engage. On the short splined shaft i can either have it flat side facing inwards or turn it 45% to the right and thats all. In my head i think it should also turn left which would be the reverse gear.

I think i've finally got it right, won't know for sure till i stick it on the boat tomorrow. The locking mechanism was engaging properly etc it just seems to be that to get reverse i now have to push the gear select lever alot further back than before :?

Update: Couldn't test the outboard due to sods law. My hinge which holds the top of the outboard including pull start snapped while trying to pass the outboard into boat. The throttle then jammed meaning i have to take the top off to move the plastic part which locks the throttle (design flaw) and the kill switch cable also snapped, may i add all in one move. The outboard got caught on the decking as the whole weight was being dropped in the boat hence all the now broken parts. Next weekend ill fix it all then hopefully get her up and runnng again.

On the subject of sods law, my self inflate lifejacket got so much water drip on it from the melting snow that it inflated. As it was wedged up next to the first aid box, it exploded the first aid box all over the boat, landing about 3 ft from where its stored. Another case of sods law as the tarps which normally keeps the area dry is held down with the fuel tank which went back on the boat today. Roll on spring so i can get the sunbrella on.

Are you regretting not taking the advice of selling the engine for spares and getting another one yet?

If im right you have so far invested somewhere near £400 on this one, and who knows how much work the top end has done, you said you wanted to restore it near to new, does that include piston/rings, bearings, coils fuel pump the list goes on?

My only regret is the 25hp outboard with fuel tank and cables on norfolk marines website for sale for £435 advertised last week. I'm at the point where i want to get it working before i decide whether to sell on or keep with restoring. At the end of the day i got the engine for free so the 400ish i've put in so far compared to the use i've got out of it isn't too bad :? . If i'd of paid for the engine then had to pay for the parts i would of cut my losses and got what money i could.

My only regret is the 25hp outboard with fuel tank and cables on norfolk marines website for sale for £435 advertised last week. I'm at the point where i want to get it working before i decide whether to sell on or keep with restoring. At the end of the day i got the engine for free so the 400ish i've put in so far compared to the use i've got out of it isn't too bad :? . If i'd of paid for the engine then had to pay for the parts i would of cut my losses and got what money i could.

£435 from Norfolk marine then just think what £350 could have got you from anywhere else! :naughty:

In theory i agree but i had been looking and bidding on outboards for a few months and they've all gone for £600 plus. This is ebay within 50miles of norwich. Plently of cheap ones miles away but wouldn't want to have to rely on using a courier.

Some fair looking ones do come up locally on Ebay quite often.

There was a really clean looking Evinrude 9.9/15 at Kings Lynn two weeks ago that went for £300.

Quite a good model, the 9.9hp was almost the same engine as the 15hp, and could be increased to that power with a few simple free mods. They were of quite a compact and lightweight design too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outboard-Engi ... 7675.l2557

It's fairly quiet now, but the secondhand outboard availability really picks up in the Spring.

post-669-13671395829_thumb.jpg