Helm

Guest Jonny

Hi

when were next down we are looking at replacing ower helm dials ect and looks for enough room to fit a VHF and incar cd player

now iam looking for some help would it be best looking for one thats been already made for another calypso in fiberglass or just make one myself out of ply?

Thanks Jonny

A nicely made ply one covered with foam backed PVC looks quite good Jonny. You do not need an operators licence to install a VHF if it only used for monitoring and genuine emergency but it is wise to do the course get one othewise you will not know the procedures and will sound a tit when using it. You do however need a ships licence to have one installed, these are available online and there is no longer any need to renew on an anual basis.

a VHF if it only used for monitoring and genuine emergency but it is wise to do the course get one otherwise you will not know the procedures and will sound a tit when using it.

what what are you trying to say David :-D

but it is wise to do the course

mmm where and how much????

You do however need a ships licence to have one installed, these are available online and there is no longer any need to renew on an annual basis.

and again how much ????

Ian Perry Davin you are the men for this help :!::!::!::!:

the only reason why this has popped up is ower dash ect is so old its past sell by and needs updating and next time were at the yard are next door neighbor is giving us a VHF free of charge cause he has two and doesn't need the other so i though to ask for help

DSC VHF course (I don't think they still conduct non DSC ones) at many places around the country, details from the RYA website

do i realy need to do one David as there few and far between like you say could i get away with not doing one?

Did mine at a local school in Birmingham course was about £70 and the licence is £26 on completion of the course, the ships licence is free on line but I am not sure if you need an operators licence to apply.

Course was over 5 evenings if I remember rightly but you can do it in a day on the coast.

There are some serious fines for operating a VHF marine radio without a licence would think it worth the risk if you were going to sea as it could save your life, on the broads though what is the point and remember everyone can here you.

out of the 80 odd chanels you are only allowed to use 5 for ship to ship, another for calling marinas and a couple for listening to the coast gaurd so worth knowing what you are doing.

yer true Ian

as i say we got given if for free so why not use it even if its just to listen in or talk to the odd forum member and they also look like you have some cash aswell :naughty: :-D

yer true Ian

as i say we got given if for free so why not use it even if its just to listen in or talk to the odd forum member and they also look like you have some cash aswell :naughty: :-D

Jonny the very fact that you are a boat owner means everyone knows you have and never will have any cash :naughty:

Back to the original question Jonny....

I believe if you or father are 'handy' you could make a smart dash from plywood and cover with headlining (Jecklls sometimes have off cuts).

If you look at the second picture of Kiki's helm the 'box' housing VHF & Anemometer is just that ply covered with headlining

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1948&start=0

Some bargain dials or re use existing and bingo new smart dash for not too much money.

I believe if you or father are 'handy' you could make a smart dash from plywood and cover with headlining (Jecklls sometimes have off cuts).

you ready my mind was just going to leave it plain

Some bargain dials or re use existing and bingo new smart dash for not too much money.

from the looks of the box for the VHF looks very nice Perry when do you think i could get some cheap offcuts from ?

I wasn't suggesting you should Jonny. It sounds as if your Father is 'handy' so perhaps sweet talk him into giving you a hand.

Perry farther bought the boat and is the general engineer for Curlew as hes knows what hes doing

if you remember Kieth (Keferbank) did a thread NBF about (i think four years and finally broke down) were having the same problem he had with his engine when starting just getting a clicking noise. we still have to fit the new starter given to us kindly from Robin

Jonny! Jecklls at Oulton Broad have a big box of such offcuts outside the shop, or you could try your local Curtain/fabric shop, I bought some vinyl not long ago £6 a meter and it's 54inches wide, I made a couple of panels to fit on the cabin roof inside the windscreen, I got fed up being blinded by the sun hitting all that white bit, :wave

no thanks Jill i don't like the affect the pic of Perry's VHF box the off cuts are nice. A clean color is always the best i find as if you spill or make a mark you spot it straight away and can clean if off straight away different with a darker fabric