Diy hand made vs Professional purchases. Opinions

brandenjg

Hi everyone, I've almost finished fixing up my boat and have done all the work myself. Today alone i've converted front and rear cabin doors into conertina doors and made a captains lean seat using some newel posts, foam and leatherette. Each job I've come across I've looked online and asked around and been gobsmacked by the prices. Personally i prefer to do all the work myself ( with advice from forumites when im unsure e.g electrics) and i was wondering what your opinions and preferences are when it comes to repairs, parts and accessories as to diy or pre made by professionals?

Apologies if posted in wrong category :River Police

Branden, Hi

I spent a couple of hours on a member's boat at OBYS last summer. He has very nearly rebuilt the interior and the workmanship was exceptional!

(I think there was a thread on it but I can't find it at the moment).

If you are happy with what you've achieved then that's what really matters!

I built our first boat out of marine ply and RR Spey packing cases!

post-508-136713955703_thumb.jpg

And, no, I didn't have either plans or experience... but it floated!

i was wondering what your opinions and preferences are when it comes to repairs, parts and accessories as to diy or pre made by professionals?

I wouldn't be able to afford to go boating at all Branden, if I couldn't DIY things myself.

My tonneu cover for instance, £900 from the boat manufacturer, £500 from after market suppliers, it cost me £30 for the correct very heavy gauge canvas off ebay, plus £25 for the snap fittings.

I simply could not have afforded it any other way.

Hello John,

Your old boat looks around the 17 to 20 foot mark, many years ago I was involved with the building of a 17ft 6inch Woodwich marine ply boat. the frames were made from traced izal toilet paper patterns.

Sadly the other two people involved pulled out before it was finished, the boat was turned over and the superstrucure and floors were fitted. It only required the windows and a complete paint job doing, It was primed before we sold the shell, pity really we never saw if it floated.

I understand there have been a few breakins on Bells Marina, I hope you have not been affected.

With the high cost of boating these days you need to be prepared to to undertake some of the day to day repairs.

We are fairly lucky a number of our owners come from an electrical and mechanical backgroud, I have provided addional electrical installation and ongoing repairs together with one of our other owners. We undertake our own pat testing on any electrical appliances. Last year two of our owners rebuilt and improved the design of the old bow truster which we then had fitted during the 2012 Winter Service, the same owners had the worn prop shaft stainless welded and machined because we could not get it done locally because of time restraints.

So DIY is ok if the results are good and of course safe.

Regards

Alan

Hi Branden

Of course it depends how good the individual is at DIY. Personally I do everything myself that I am comfortable with, but when we had a major engine failure last year on the way back from the Thames, I got a proper mechanic to do the work, as that was outside my field of experience. The boat we have has had some slightly iffy DIY done on it in the past, that we have since discovered and put right.

Simple rule of thumb is "if in doubt, ask" and if still in doubt, get someone who knows what they are doing to help!

There is no right or wrong answer here, you can spend a fortune paying someone who rips you off and does a rubbish job, you can pay a lot of money and have a Rolls Royce standard job, and there are people who do a good job at a sensible prices.

Your always going to save money if your able to do the job yourself, your saving all the labor costs and the extra that some add to the materials. However you need to look at the work and ask the questions; 1, Am I happy with the work I have done. 2, Would I have happily paid for the same standard of work if I was unable to do it myself. The last test you don't know yet, how long did it last before you had to replace or repair?

One more thing always remember that by asking for help on a forum you may be taking help and guidance from professional people, they are giving their knowledge freely and potentially loosing business by giving people solutions to there problems. I wonder how many solicitors are happy to advise for free?

I always do my own work on my boat, however, I am an electrical and mechanical engineer so guess I have a slight advantage. Still, sometimes on boats there are areas I proceed with caution and like you, trawl the internet for reference and advice. The only thing I will not touch is gas. I would always consult an Gas Safe engineer to do the necessary tests. If something did go wrong any insurance company would have a field day getting out of a claim, as well as putting lives at danger. The same goes to shore power and mains circuits on boats. If you are not qualified, don't touch it. I have witnessed some very poor electrical installations done by a DIY'ers, they are an accident waiting to happen, again it is peoples lives being played with.

cheersbar

Hello John,

Your old boat looks around the 17 to 20 foot mark, many years ago I was involved with the building of a 17ft 6inch Woodwich marine ply boat.

I understand there have been a few breakins on Bells Marina, I hope you have not been affected.

We are fairly lucky a number of our owners come from an electrical and mechanical backgroud, I have provided addional electrical installation and ongoing repairs together with one of our other owners. We undertake our own pat testing on any electrical appliances. Last year two of our owners rebuilt and improved the design of the old bow truster which we then had fitted during the 2012 Winter Service, the same owners had the worn prop shaft stainless welded and machined because we could not get it done locally because of time restraints.

So DIY is ok if the results are good and of course safe.

Regards Alan

Alan, Hi

Yes, I designed her from a drawing of the old Woodwitch I found in PBO or somesuch. But the superstructure was entirely out of my head, I've written a seperate article on her which I'll post soon.

The break-ins were in Bells Dyke, NOT the Marina,thank goodness! And I believe Langley Dyke has now been "visited" two guns

Your owners are very lucky to have such a sympathetic yard owner! And I completely agree with your "So DIY is ok if the results are good and of course safe." statement! :clap:clap

The same goes to shore power and mains circuits on boats. If you are not qualified, don't touch it. I have witnessed some very poor electrical installations done by a DIY'ers, they are an accident waiting to happen, again it is peoples lives being played with.

cheersbar

Yes, it's very much dependent on the "engineering" and mechanical knowledge of the DIY'er.

many secondhand boats have frighteningly dangerous bodges to the electrics and gas, which were quite likely from some DIY owners that didn't understand the standards and techniques required.

However, the opposite is also often true. "Professionals" can also frequently make equally dangerous mistakes and displays of bad workmanship. I've bought many used boats over the years, and I've been very surprised at how badly many electrical, mechanical, and gas jobs have been done, and yet were carried out by recognised boating businesses, because the invoices and receipts were included in the provenance.

My background is also in electrical and mechanical engineering, and my working standards are at least as good as any Pro, because my time is free, so I can take longer than someone in business.

Like many have said, it depends on what you are capable of. Nobody ever gained skills by sitting back and watching a skilled person doing a job, though.

I think the nub of the matter is a combination of the finish you want against you can afford against what you are prepared to pay against the risks of getting it wrong. Getting it wrong is a waste of money, remember.

Here's another condsideration; longevity and resale value.

I look at a lot of boats that have been attacked by a DIYer who often dosen't appreciate the difference between a Phillips head screw and a Pozidrive head. I guess these owners are comfortable with what they have done and that's probably all that matters at the time. But resale values and desireability when it comes to finding a new owner are all affected and can knock thousands off the value.

It's a whole lot easier to redecorate and refit a house than refit a boat and just because you might be handy putting up some shelves at home into a wall that you can fill and paint to cover mistakes, dosen't mean you can translate that experience to a boat.