LIBS 2013

pks1702

Went today and have to say overall pretty disappointing.

The organisers have tried hard to lift a show that has an ever decreasing number of boats. Sun/Prin/Fairline were as ever the mainstay with a couple of Sealines and Broom with 3 boats.

There are a few other e.g. Jetten, Trusty, etc.

It is now just one hall encompassing the whole show. Pretty quiet for a first day but manufacturers say less tyre kickers and more quality prospects.

Chandeliers doing reasonable business and we even found some Salt Away after years of trying to find some in the UK.

A plethora on non boat related stands including cars, wine, outdoor furniture etc.

I think the last time we will do London instead opting for Paris and making a weekend of it.

A couple of poor phone camera snapspost-79-136713956076_thumb.jpg

post-79-136713956087_thumb.jpg

post-79-13671395634_thumb.jpg

Haven't been for the past couple of years now, as the novelty of looking at what I can't afford, has worn off.

Unlikely that I will ever bother again.

Much preferred the now defunct Ipswich Boat Show, and I may go to the Horning Boat show, just to see what its like, albeit I will travel by car, and the parking arrangements, which are generally very limited in Horning, are likely to be a problem.

Going by boat and be able to moor, would likely be an impossibility.

Dave

Hi,

I had a look at the link Perry posted, and noted on the 'The best bits from the London Boat Show' link only a few pictures were of boats.

Interesting the chandlers were doing well, perhaps people are repairing or upgrading their existing boats rather than going for new.

Ian

Yes Ian an ever decreasing number of boat builders outside the 'big three'.

For the type of next boat we might be interested in there were none :?

If you are happy at displacement speed the Jetten 44 was a heck of a lot of boat for your money.

On the yacht front it was even more disappointing with very limited numbers although Oyster and Southerly had flagship models there but it would mean a lottery win!

Fancy a trip to Paris next December French-french-paris-france-smiley-emoticon-000584-medium.gif

I have heard it is a bit 'small' I think Dusseldorf is on at the same time and so the exibitors and international customers have to split themselves between the two in much the same way as they did between Earls court and Excel.

I will be going later on in the week, it is good to hear it is a bit of a let down as that means I can spend the rest of my time in London instead of going back for a second day! :dance

The MBM photos are a bit of a shocking selection. :roll:

We weren't going to bother this year either, but blagged some free tickets, so will pop down next Sunday. I'm not expecting much, but for the cost of some petrol, it'll be a day out looking and shiny bits at the very least.

After visiting Southampton for the first time last Sepatember, I think anything LIBS could do would be a dissappointment.

After visiting Southampton for the first time last Sepatember, I think anything LIBS could do would be a dissappointment.

Even Southampton has been reducing in quantity of exibits, but then we are in hard times. However, i`ve thought for some time that the Southampton boatshow is far better, and more of an event than the London one. I don`t think the London boatshow evr had the same appeal once it left Earls court. We went to the first one in the Excel centre, and was disappointed then, as the venue lacked things like a decent selection of food outlets, the best we could find was a downstairs sandwich bar, whereas Earls court had several restaurants where you could get a proper meal, as well as hot dog/burger stalls around the outside edge of the hall. Shame really, because i used to go every year, and have many happy memories.

Regards to all ............... S3

I think Excel does get a bit of a rough ride, I personally think it is a good exhibition centre. It may not have the charisma of Earls Court but it does not have the punch ups over who gets to use the lifts to unload their products at the start and end of the show!!

At first there were not enough hotels and restaurants but over the years this has improved.

However, I do not believe the UK will be able to sustain two large boatshows per year for much longer. Every year a few more companies drop London as a show, apart from a couple of people wandering around my company does not have a stand this year.

Even Southampton was smaller than usual in 2012, too early to say how 2013 will fare.

Fully agree Neil two UK shows for many companies is just too much.

Excel is an excellent exhibition centre will good transport links but to me boats largely need to bro the water which is where Southampton scores although it could be done at Excel.

I understand that there is a contract for the next two years so not sure how they will fare going forward.

Noted absence of the Green propulsion units too.

Haven't been for the past couple of years now, as the novelty of looking at what I can't afford, has worn off.

Unlikely that I will ever bother again.

Much preferred the now defunct Ipswich Boat Show, and I may go to the Horning Boat show, just to see what its like, albeit I will travel by car, and the parking arrangements, which are generally very limited in Horning, are likely to be a problem.

Going by boat and be able to moor, would likely be an impossibility.

Dave

Don't quote me on this, but for the Horning Boat Show I believe the plan is for parking at Bewilderwood and a shuttle bus service. Maybe not perfect, but about as good a solution to the problem as i can think of.

Maybe not perfect, but about as good a solution to the problem as i can think of.

Errr....you didn't think of it, the organisers did!

I shall be going as I want to have a look around the new Sheerlines who will be there.

I'll maybe try and blag a lift with Norfolk boat sales or Barnes but failing that, car!

I had thought about making a first visit to the LIBS but sounds like a stay at home to me. :yawn:

I went today,

because I am only interested in looking at the smaller boats and suppliers I found the show to be good, there were not too many people and all the 'outdoor' stuff was in another hall which I did not have to visit.

I got some ideas but nothing over exciting, I have seen a few things I would like to get but will have to see..

Was in London for three days and had intentions of going,but after speaking to friends who had gone and in view of the weather warnings decided on our other plans first and head off down the A11 ,not early enough as we caught a blizzard on our way back to stay in Harlow and then spent seven hours getting back to North Norfolk on Tuesday.The other halls were not open till Thursday and several people I know we're disappointed as they thought they were there all week.We went last year and found it less interesting so don't think we shall make the effort again.Days past when at Earls Court you would be lucky to see it all and the atmosphere with the pool feature gave you a lift to start the new year,shame you even found a group of people you knew at the Guinness stand .Much prefer Southampton as a show. :yawn: