DRL BOATS FROM THORPE.

SPEEDTRIPLE

You don't know how many boats you are running Andy?

Things can easily change. I can run more boats as I have them available to me if I want them. It's whether I want to and can make it pay. Certain people want me to run some yachts, but I can see it being more trouble than it's worth, but I have one on standby should I change my mind.

I wish you all the best with your relocation Andy :clap

It is good for the local business to see more hire boats on the southern side. I think the appeal of the southern rivers for some is also their downfall for others. To some the wide open spaces, longer distances between destinations and comparative calm are their charm, to others the miles of reed-lined rivers that obscure any view from a low level boat just mean they are boring. I know when we used to hire it was always from the northern side for exaclty that reason. I do wonder if that was one of the reasons for the decline in southern hire yards. I have completely changed my opinion in the last few years though!

Neil, just picking up on your point about resinstating a fixed jetty at Oulton. Why? The floating pontoons mean you don't have to contend with trying to get off your boat when the tide has dropped 4 feet! If clambering is your thing, you can still get your kick by mooring on the concrete wall :lol:

Hi Mark, one of the reasons we don`t moor at Oulton is because they took away the fixed pier, so now there`s no "breakwater" effect, and if the broad has a slight chop in high winds, and boat traffic, the floating pontoons just float up and down with it, whereas with the old pier, with boards down to the lake bed, it would be flat calm in any weather. Unfortunately Karen is fine on a moving boat, but if it starts bobbing up and down while moored, it makes her feel "slightly queezy", or it did thew last time we moored there. It was so bad, we had to up sticks and move on to Beccles, which is much more sheltered. If the pier was still there, it would`nt have been a problem.

Having said that, we`re attending the Spring meet as Johns guests, so we`ll be staying on Friday Girl. Should be interesting?.

I know exactly what you mean regarding getting on and off the boats though, and i completely agree with you on that, so the best of both worlds would be a sort of "twin floating pontoon affair, with some form of breakwater type boarding in between the two, so you can still get on and off the boat easily, but still have flat calm water inside. Easy in an ideal world is`nt it? :lol: .

Regards to all ...............S3

I get what you mean Neil, but to be honest the weather has to be pretty poor for the pontoons to bob about. If you moor on the inside if then its surprising how much difference they make. Having said that, we had 57 knot winds a few months back and I was moored on the outside of the pontoon. It's the only time I've had to get up because I felt sea sick in bed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We DO get off-topic, dion't we? ;);)

I agree, Mark. We used to like to moor stern-on at the end of the short pontoon facing the Broad (great position to watch the racing) but two consecutive nights of W4-5 convinced us it wasn't a good idea! Not the motion but the constant wave-slapping.... :o:o:o

We now moor stern-on on the inside of the long pontoon, preferably on the leeward side if a large salty... never had any probs since! :clap:clap:clap

The only down side i can see is that with a few more hire boats on the southern rivers, the private boat owners might have concerns over more possibility of accidental damage done to their pride and joy, which IS in my opinion, quite justified.

And, of course, the concerns of the yards over damage done by private boats, which is also (in my opinion) quite justified.

• 2 weeks later...

And, of course, the concerns of the yards over damage done by private boats, which is also (in my opinion) quite justified.

That`s perfectly true Kadensa, but in over 40 years of hiring on the Broads, i`ve NEVER heard of any private boats causing damage to hire boats. Of course, there must have been the odd occaision, but i think that`s exactly what it is, "the ODD occaision">

Regards to all ............... Neil.

Neil,

Its not the 'odd' occaision, it is just that between yards (not all though) we generally operate a knock or knock attitude, when it comes to private boats it in not normally worth following up a claim and yards dont normally go on forums shouting about damage done by private boats.

I supose trends change, just like the City of Norwich, 20 years ago Prince of Wales Road only had a few pubs.

Now there a Club/Bar/ Fastfood outlet every other building !

I would now expect to see people moving away from Prince of Wales road on a night out and look for the next `new` place to go in the City.

A bit like the Broads, The Southern Broads just needs that Hook, Something that when Northern Hirers Hire a boart, they have somewhere special that they Just have to visit on the Southern Broads.

A place where theres moorings a plenty, with Reserved moorings for Private boats, and a Hirers mooring area ;) A place that can cater for families, for couples, for Teenagers

A place that can offer takeaway food, along with sitdown food, outside seating a plenty for the summer months and plenty of inside seating.

The place would also be a boatyard and have a hire fleet.

THis place would be called ............ Neptunes Marina !

Wrc has the place but not the moorings, the hire companies need to team up themselves and make a leaflet where to visit, don't leave it to the armatures , make a proper best places to visit,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OK as my idea above and add..

Touring caravans and camping !

A lake next to the complex with well stocked fish

A few of those log cabins that fishermen families love with a hot tub ;)

another lake for water sports. have a go at water skiing and the blow up banana boat etc

It has to be close to a main road with good access.

ITs a win win

So you have

Private boat owners

Hire Boater

Touring caravans nad luxury motorhomes

Camping

Log cabins

Open all the year round

:grin: