General Hire Question

BikerBuster

Right then you well informed bunch.. I am going again this year and taking my parents who have been lifelong 'Broaders', over the last couple of years I have been with Richardsons, not impressed. Then Silverline which was superb.

This year I am looking at one of LeBoat's offerings any thoughts?

The thing is because of my folks ages and health, it will probably be their last visit, to whit I am looking at a 10 day hire - eastertime - and I want a half decent boat.

Suggestions, opinions please.

Thank'y'all in advance.

Buster

Surprised you did not have a good experience of Richardsons, was this a few years ago? as the current reputation for customer service is superb, some of the older boats there are non to fancy and basic (sorry Clive) but they are priced accordingly, Richardsons new builds are beautiful INMHO not only the best looking hirecraft on the broads, but built to fit under bridges.

Thats fine Mark, we cater for all budgets, the older boats dont owe us much so can turn them round for smaller margins and get more people on the water or less. but our new boats from last year which are just about the most expensive on the broads are virtually fully booked and the next 4 are going really fast.

Buster,

I am sorry to hear you were not 'impressed' by us, we cant please everyone all the time but we really do try. obviously some hirers prefer the smaller yards and we can only compete with that at Moonfleet but although there is the odd anomally we normally have the best value boats available, and pride ourselves on our service.

obviously I wont comment on boats from other boatyards but whatever boat you go on have a great time and Welcome to the forum cheers

Oh it was nothing to do with customer service, I had the boat two years ago (during June) and it was at best, shabby. I got talking to a couple of folk on the boat beside us and they paid £60 more for a boat 10 times better, from a different yard.

That being said I am presently looking at the Viscount. But you know .. once bitten...

I see your point,

if you get a discounted boat last minute then generally you tell everyone and perhaps may gloat :naughty:

the problem is I doubt it was a published price they paid.

We promise that if a boat is booked and it is decided to ofer a discount on that boat during the period it has been booked then all we can do is offer 110% of the difference back to you. we do not plan on discounting last minute holidays as it is not our policy to do so.

Viscount is a totally refitted boat, there is not another in her condition on the rivers.

Like I said, have a great time.. cheersbar

Older vessels are rarely poor value for money, they're just older and perhaps less well equipped than new ones (but not always). Oh, and cheaper.

New boats look great. Nice and shiny, sleek and modern. But they've still got cookers, heating, engines and everything an older vessel has plus some bells and whistles that the older one might not have. Rarely, though, are the bells and whistles the difference between a good holiday and a great one. To my mind, the difference is more about how it makes you feel.

Perhaps it's akin to driving around in a Seat Alhambra but really wanting VW Sharan. They're both basically the same, but one has a certain amount of class over the other.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your holiday.

We promise that if a boat is booked and it is decided to ofer a discount on that boat during the period it has been booked then all we can do is offer 110% of the difference back to you. we do not plan on discounting last minute holidays as it is not our policy to do so.

This the hire boat equivalent of John Lewis "never knowingly undersold" pledge.

It is a very comforting offer to those that want to book early in the safe knowledge that they won't have that bank-side conversation :clap

Hello Buster,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find a suitable boat for your holiday but I doubt that you will get any discounts because of the premium period you are planning your stay (over the Easter holidays).

On the canals some boathire companies have discounts for a second week but few offer discounts for 10 days, I would assume this is the same with the hire companies on the Broads.

Maybe Clive and Andy might give you their thoughts on an 10 day holiday during this period.

Regards

Alan

Alan has hit the nail squarely. Easter, first big push of the year produces massive demand and there should be no need to discount as we're normally turning people away.

It's rare that we'll discount for short notice bookings unless it's to deal with a late cancellation. Discounting is simply a good way to devalue a product, especially blanket discounts or during peek periods. Clive surely shares this view and I know that Ferry does.

That said, as is usual at this time of year, we have an early booking incentive of 10% discount across the board for 2013 bookings.

Don't forget, Freedom is (probably) still the only operator to allow any day starts / ends and for many people this is a key decider for booking with us.

I am not too sure on Le Boat really... the standards of care & presentation dont seem to be quite what they were say seven or eight years ago & more when the fleet was always pretty smartly turned out under their then Connoisseur branding.

Depending on which boats you are thinking of they do run some fundamentally good boats in their Admiral & Emperor classes.

It has to be remembered though they are now twenty years old, so combined with what I have said above I wonder if first class luxury is the brief then perhaps you need to look to one of the most expensive boats in the brochures that has been built in the last few years. If the budget is just a bit more restricted than that and you are realistic in expectation to pounds spent you may be quite OK with a Le Boat, especially if you can get an OK deal.

They seem to work to the polar opposite to what Clive has described... price quite high, always be doing a 'deal' to make you feel you have got a bargain but a constant special offer just becomes the price to my mind and de-values integrity of the brand, especially if it is distress special offers. I would rather Richardsons fairer pricing outlook to be honest, and to reward early bookers and build/reward repeat custom but given you have already once discovered their offering does not match what you are looking for your perfect boat and fleet does perhaps lie elsewhere.

Personally I find their entire fleet is strong value pound for pound.

I would also be a little wary of going off tales at the riverside. People do not always remember quite the right figures, or may forget/include waivers/deposits etc that you may have done the reverse to what they have (these can give you in the region of £200 straightaway!) not to mention you may just have encountered someone who either is bolstered with certain motivational bravados and the like.... though to be honest I only truly believe something I have seen, experienced or looked into myself so perhaps that is just to do with how I am!

Dan

Le Boat are OK but only OK in my view. Hired from them on the Thames in 2011 and they stung me for a silly diesel charge (£1.60 per litre) and the boat interior was pretty ordinary. Very surprised at the Richardsons 'not impressed' comment. You won't find a better range of choice or better value anywhere whether you're looking for a brand new boat or a budget one, hence I have two bookings from the Acle yard for this year.

We used Herbert Woods last year and were so impressed we have hired with them again this year.

No offense Clive (the service we received from yourselves was first class) but your newer boats are priced considerably higher than HW. Also we have our four legged friend with us and all your newer craft don't allow dogs whereas HW and some of the other yards do have a selection of newer boats that do.

We have hired Superior Light in May for only £870

Thanks for all of the opinions, this was exactly the kind of thing I was after, although where the 'looking for discount' thing came from...

Anyway, it's back to the drawing board as 'er nibs has just told me she can't get the whole period off, so were reduced to 7 days.. again.. Bugger!

• 2 weeks later...

In all honestly boats are boats – so if it floats and goes that is the first hurdle over with.

Next up is style – new and shiny does not always mean practical and easy to handle – Far Horizon, amazing boat, lovely but try getting on and off at a ‘wild mooring’ with the high freeboard – swings and roundabouts.

Internal fit out – sure a new boat will be in pristine condition having not had 20+ years of hire but even then one must be cautious. Barnes Brinkcraft favour having ‘electric everything’ on their new boats, so if a combi-microwave, electric kettle and hob is not your thing because you prefer to cook onboard and running engine to make a cuppa or fry an egg is not your idea of peace and quiet then you might not like those.

You need to take into account a lot – not just the cost.

Smaller yards will win over on personally attention – larger yards will often compete on price. I could not possible recommend a particular boat or yard because they are so individual and I myself have often found myself frowning at someone’s choice in boat, but then the people in question having a ball and that goes to show just how unique we can all be.

I have to say Richardson’s service has come on in leaps and bounds over years, together with the boats – even their ‘classic boats’ having things like new fridges, cookers and upholstery yet the bottom end price not increasing by much.

But what keeps me coming back frankly are rewards they offer which are unique. Be it the loyalty scheme, or just the second holiday discount which is worth it (at 20%). I am bias because of this and it means I get to enjoy the Norfolk Broads more often which is what it is all about.

I have hired from Le Boat (A Swallowtail) and Ferry Marina (Ivory Emblem) over the last few years. Both yards gave superb service with very friendly, knowlegable and helpful staff. I am hiring from Ferry again this year as the boats they have on offer are more to my taste. (and the engines are a bit quieter)

I too am benefitting from Richardsons excellent '20% off your second holiday' discount this year. And I'll get 2 more stamps on my loyalty card, so I accrue a further 10%, plus in April they're giving me a further £50 off because there's 2 of us on a 4 berth boat (that only applies to certain boats I think). My April trip is therefore loopy cheap!

Well, thank you all for the informed and well balanced responses.

After several days glued to t'internet I have decided to 'push the boat out' a wee bit and paid an extra few quid for what (hopefully) will be a well finished boat for Ma & Pa's last visit.

I booked Moon Emblem from Horning.

Also it has one of those external bridges, so I can pretend I am back at sea on a surfaced submarine, then come below for Diving Stations - Oh happy days....... :pirate