Boat Names

Brian

The 12'3" Maxcraft we use to get up and down to the bungalow was going to be Daphnia (Water Flea) but became Delphina at the request of my daughter who got it from the 'Roman Mysteries' book series.

My daughter's sailing dinghy is 'Scarab' (for the spotters a Selway Fisher Stornoway 9 - build story on the Lite Side in 'Projects')- Her best friend's is 'Amazon' and she thought 'Swallow' was too obvious. For those up with the books you will understand why my orders were for a white paint job and a tan sail :lol:

My son's sailing dinghy (in build) will be the 'Hopeful Puffin' which he has taken from the Cressida Cowell viking books.

If/when I get round to building my half decker then she will be 'Ida' - strange name I know, but it was the name of my great great grandfather's 10 ton racing cutter (whose tiller, racing flag and winning silverware (some of) I still have). Family tradition and sentimentality are a marvellous thing!

post-158-136713374306_thumb.jpg

Well Sue,

You could call her Lady Godiva (Covvy link) ;) or Rosie with a Tudor Rose as the emblem, Sky Blue or Blue Sky because of the CCFC link.

Someone asked me if I was going to call ours Eagles but I said no as they have a habit of going down :cry

Dave,

Delphina is also the feminine of Delphinus - Dolphin - in Latin. It is the name of the heroine's father's ship in the Roman Mystery books.

A stinkie named after a sailie! Hmmmmmmm

Ours have been named after our dogs, no not shep or rover!!

Our spaniel Ben has a posh kennel club name of Black Oaks Blue stratos. So after the usual long family debate we called the boat Blue Stratos. When we changed the boat once again we struggled for a name so I suggested following the canine theme and named her after a dog I had as a kid that had the fancy name of Jay's Green Woodland Dawn, hence the boat is called Woodland Dawn. I am quite convinced if we change the boat again, and unless it already has an acceptable name it will be Woodland Lass

Gordon :)

Hi All

When we purchased our previous boat we had 2 Jack Russells hence the name Happy Jax

Earlier this year we changed boats, at that time we had lost one of our Jacks and aquired a Golden Retriever. (Happy Golden Jax seemed a bit of a mouthfull) Ended up with Happy Jax II. (More Original, huh!) :)

Col & Lou

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought I'd taken my boat back to her original name, "Broadland Swift" but I have learned recently that she was launched as "Broadland Kittiwake." She became "Swift" after an internal refit to accommodate a shower - much requested by hirers in the sixities.

When I bought Swift, she had two names, I kid you not. On the starboard bow she proudly proclaimed that she was mamed "Norfolk Star." On the port side, rather contrarily, she announced to the world that her name was "Star Norfolk." Methinks her individual screw-on letters were installed by someone hanging over the bows whilst she was in the water!

Her previous name was "Dusty" - she was owned then by someone who was a dustman.

We have quite a history of inherited boat names that just have to be obliterated at the very first opportunity:-

The first was a small speedboat with "Bonky" written on the side - aargh

The second was a rather larger speedboat that thought it was a low flying aircraft (with a name that seemed more at home in  a flower bed). That was "Perla Rosa."

The third was called "Kipevu" which sounded to us like some sort of contrived reference to sleep, but turned out to be a place in Africa (now renamed after our young niece Ella).

• 1 month later...
Spotted a boat moored in the marina at Beccles called 'PMT Lady' I wonder who decided on that one and why? :oops::o

Perhaps she was a lady bus driver from the now defunct(I think) Potteries Motor Traction Co whom proudly had PMT in gold on the side of all their buses in the twenties to sixties in Stoke Hanley etc.

just a thought :wave

Barry.

• 1 month later...

We used to own Broom admiral number 5 which was La Corlieu, we renamed her lafonia, which is an area in the Falkland islands which is where my mum is from!

• 1 month later...

Of course, I named my current boat after my wife, and dropped the 9 :liar:liar:liar

The fact that the boats original name was apparently Perfect Lady 9 was totally unbeknown to me :oops::?

cheersbar

Mat

• 1 month later...

I have heard it can bring bad luck to change a boats name ,but did not take too much notice.We bought a boat from an artist in York Its name SWEET ART not the best for your cred when being called up on the VHF. What did we do, we changed it ,also the fact that every thing on the boat was green.which is a valid historical superstition in our family meant a complete revamp from furnishings through to the tape round the hull.I would not put it down to all this but two weeks after she turned up at Wayford I had a heart attack and did not see her for some months.She was a nice boat but we were always having problems , from all sides and we missed a lot of boating and decided to move on .Our current boat has its original name and she has been a joy ( most of the time and any problems being our own making ) we changed the names on four or five boats before this but I think we will stick with the original in future,unless it is named something like the above !!! cheersbar:Stinky

Guest AK sailor

Unfortunately we had to sell our sailboat a few years ago but was always proud that we came up with an original name for her. I read a book that told the true story of the Essex, the whaler that was attacked by a whale and was the inspiration for "Moby Dick". In the book they gave a lot of history of sailors from Nantucket Island that was the heart of the American whaling industry. It was said that when they would leave port they would say they were going on a "rantum scoot", meaning a voyage of no particular destination. So that became the name of our sailboat, the S/V Rantum Scoot.

• 3 weeks later...

We called our boat Crackerjack as we used to get to our Local marina for about 5 to 5 on a Friday. You will have to be a certain age to get that. When I told a friend on his mobile he miss heard it as kna..ersack which I am tempted to use when calling the bridges and then correct them in disgust. :Stinky

• 3 months later...

Bad luck changing a boats name? I bouight a Norman 22 about 18 months ago. Its name was "Kenzoe", which I suppose was fine for Ken & Zoe. I put up with this name until the BW licence expired. Then took my scraper to this ridiculous name and off it came. My first outing following this action resulted in its fuel pump packing in. All I could hope for is a overhanging tree to come past, for me to grab. Just then, I spotted an oncoming tree, and I armed myself with my brand new boat hook and reached out for said tree, started to lose my balance and let go of my boat hook. All I could do is watch it sink to the bottom. All that was on the Ripon canal.

IN october 08 I had the boat transported to Broadsedge marina sporting its new name "Duart Castle" . I hired a houseboat at Moonfleet for the week. My wife and I arriving two days before the boat. Killing time seemed forever, with the excitement building up. So the day before my pride and joy arrived, I decided to look around the museum of the broads. As I was exiting one of the sheds I slipped on what was a very slippery surface . Result, a complete 100% rupture of the quadriceps on the right leg. This had to be operated on at the Nordfolk & Norwich Univerity Hospital. So I spent the full weeks holiday in hospital. Eleven weeks later I am still on crutches and leg in a brace. I never did see the boat arrive or indeed see it in its new home. :cry:cry:cry

The origin of its name? I am a McLean, and Duart Castle on the Isle of Mull is the ancestral home of the McLean Clan. If it has a name that you can live with stick to it :? Things can only get better. Can they?

Best regard to all

Russ

Hi Jill

Thanks for the welcome. I had never heard about the boat having to be out of the water for renaming. However ,although the boat was in the water at the time I took the old name off. The new name was put onto the boat while it was out of the water following its paint job. So I am even more confused now. Fingers crossed eh. :)

Best regards

Russ

Hello and welcome to NBN.

Like all superstitions the "curse" of renaming a boat is a load of B******s. The unfortunate events you retell would most probably have happened regardless of renaming your boat. I have renamed every boat I have bought without any unearthly retribution. As you say living with somebody else's name, in many cases, would be simply awful.

To prove a point I make every effort to flout superstition whereever possible, like vadoo the curse is only potent if you believe in it!!!!!!! two guns