Boat Names

Brian

• 4 months later...

Hi all - new member here (well, returning to the Broads after a mere 40-odd years).

Just a long shot but ....

Does anyone have any memories/knowledge of HA Simpson's old boatyard at Wayford Bridge?

In particular, any knowledge of what happened to the boats when they were auctioned-off after Alec Simpson's death, early in 1982?

I'm specially interested in the racing dinghy SNOWLARK (wooden, clinker-built), and the wooden Broads cruiser MOONLARK.

Alec Simpson was my dad's cousin, and I spent much of my boyhood there at Staithe Cottage.

I know the site is holiday flats now, but I can't glean any info from the people there.

Any tips at all gladly received.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike

Age being what it is names don't seem to come to easily to me but do you by any chance mean Stalham Yacht services now Moonfleet. Bought by the Simpson family in the late forties, and still owned by them. They used to live in Staithe House at Stalham. I know Pat Simpson the son of the original owner. Ring any bells ? His father was a friend of my Uncle who had Wayford Marina in the fifties into the sixties.with Starksfield.

• 2 months later...

Mines "Little Mink II" due to the first boat that I had on the broads, a Stuart Stevens 19, reg number 989B, which I bought in a right state and unregistered, it was a police sezure, don't know what for, but funnily enough also came from Portsmouth way like my current boat. It was before the days of BSS, and I stripped it down and renovated it. Whilst laying underneath antifouling the hull a Mink popped out of a hole beside my head, looked at me and then ran off, I don't know who was more scared.

That boat was registered as "Little Mink", as this is the second boat "Little Mink II".

It's on craigs website, all be it renamed but the paintwork is as I did it. It was white when I bought it, when I sold it the lad who bought it put it on a bouy in Oulton Broad but failed to put the mooring rope in a cleat, which rubbed on the deck, snapped, and the boat sank in the corner of dead end. He had owned it a week.

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I already replied in this thread, but apparently not.

My little boat was named 'River gypsy', but since my Mother passed away it has been renamed to Eileen.

The name I always remember seeing was at the Reedcutter a year or two ago.. 'Sailbad the Sinner'. Love it. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

An old thread never dies! Two of the boats mentioned moored opposite each other at Sutton yesterday.

Sir Losis of the River had been renamed but the name plaque is off temporarily revealing the original name, for another name change by it's new owners who I'm proud to say are me and my better half :12_slight_smile:

You can just make out part of Tot Time's name, I couldn't get a better angle without swimming!

IMG_20181123_110408.jpg

IMG_20181103_150720087_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181123_110501.jpg

Our boat was ex Brinks,built in Somerleyton and was named Comet.She spent ten years in France.We renamed her,Sweetkingfisher. We have some things of her past.A name plate with some of her details in English and French.Also some info in Three languages,dotted around the boat.We think it's a nod to her past.

• Like 1