Boat Names

Brian

Thanks for the welcome. I had never heard about the boat having to be out of the water for renaming. However ,although the boat was in the water at the time I took the old name off. The new name was put onto the boat while it was out of the water following its paint job. So I am even more confused now. Fingers crossed eh.

sorry russ in that case you cant blame any of it on the boat :pirate

jill cheers

Come on Ponky don't be shy share your boat name with us....

Is is it Jabsco or Thetford?

They sound a bit too modern....... how about B Blake :naughty:

Strangely three of the boats I bought had previosly been called "Lou", "Lulu" and another "Lou". Another thing they all had in common is that they leaked, some from the bottom and one through the hatch. Hense the names had to change .. they couldn't be leaky loos. A partner of mine on the third boat wanted to call her "WINDQUEST" the lavatorial conotations of this meant I couldn't bring myself to use this name when discussing the boat.

My final boat I called "Ella" after my daughter. As my son grew older he asked why I had named the boat after her and not him. I replied I had indeed named her after both of them ... the 1st two letters of ELLA AND the first two letters of "alexander" reversed. This got me out of a tight spot for a few years!!!

When we sold an Atlantic from Horning the new owner called the boat Rollocks he had the name imaginitavely sign written and it was easy to read wrong. When she was moved to the Thames they were told to change the name :lol::lol:

Ahh yes.. that reminds me of one of Moonfleets boats (Moon Ray or Beam) that sold into private hands and got renamed "Miss Fits".

Anyone who has seen the boat or text style will know why I had to double take the first time I saw it, and still smile each time I see her now! ;)

Dan

cheersbar

Thanks, Jill, here's another one.

They were taken at Vlissingen (Flushing) last year in June when we spent a fortnight in Zeeland. We arrived via Shotley and Ramsgate overnighting and Blankenburg for refuelling. We had meant to stop off in Dunkirk but the weather was so gorgeous, calm seas and a following tide, that I pushed on to Blankenburg to refuel before continuing to Vlissingen (a mistake because fuel was cheaper in Holland than Belgium!).

Entry to Vlissingen is quite easy directly from the sea except at LW +/- 2 hrs when the bar is restrictive. It's a lovely little seaside town and the marina used to be the fishing harbour. You can see some of the many bars and cafes in the background; some or most we managed to visit!

We later motored on to Middelburg where we stayed for a week at the yacht club, meeting lots of old friends from previous years. Middelburg is another smashing place to visit and though we had meant to go further inland we found lots to do there.

It finally took us about 6 hrs at cruising speed to get back to Lowestoft.

With the £/Euro we are most likely to be found on the Broads this year!

post-508-136713475991_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Drifting off the subject a little bit, my mum and dads caravans used to be called Dezrez the 1st an Old static 60’s pemberton.. Dezrez then their currant caravan Dezrez 2 and our chalet we keep for ourselves (not the rented one) is going to be Dezrez 3 when I get round to righting it on some slate I have!!

• 1 month later...

We were going to change 'Joshua's' name but to be honest the boat is well known to a good many people and it has proved useful in meeting people who know Roya sold him and want to say hello to the new owners, quite a talking point and good for making new friends so the name stays :grin:

Nige

Remembering the Graham Bunn "Windboats" merrywind, finewind etc. was amused to see a boat this year in Coltishall named "Passing wind".

:lol: ...was it going like the Clappers...??? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Albion Boy

I heard of a boat in Oz that was called itwilldous - apparently one dark and moonless night someone prefixed the name with an sh.

I like this name - seen years ago - near Cantley? -

pwak.gif

Robbie

• 4 weeks later...

Bill and I were discussing this one yesterday as we cruised the river Ant,and decided that if we did buy a boat , he rather favoured the name Lily-may after our youngest grandaughter, but as it would be unfair to the older ones, who may see it as a bit of favouritism, we decided it would have to be after the words we mutter when we spot her or any of the older ones toddling down the drive ...

'Here Comes Trouble!' :naughty::lol::lol::lol:

Looking at the pics above, we too love the continetal boaty places, our favourite being Volendam in the Netherlands :love Its the place we spent our honeymoon at, and have returned to quite a few times since :)

A few years ago we went 'Famous people and their boat' spotting around Marbella, and spotted Bruce Forsyth and Peter Stringfellow in one of the posh seafood bars around the harbour, and watched them stroll back to their boats, super megga gin palaces complete with staff and sailing crew :)

Julz :wave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok, our boat is called Miss Conduct, well we are into ice hockey and if your really naughty the referee gives you a 10 min misconduct penalty.... Miss Conduct.. :lol:

• 1 month later...

We have an 18 foot sailie called Hermia. Couldn't really change her name as it has been carved into her stern (if you know your Shakespeare, you may have guessed she is a Lysander). We also have a Skipper dinghy called Walrus, who will have a name change if ever realise our dream of buying a 30 foot cruiser which we'll name 'Shipshape'. The dinghy will then be renamed in honour of our hometown - 'Bristol Fashion'.

• 3 weeks later...
Spotted you a few weeks ago and it started a few hours of trying to think of variations on your theme .............mis behaving came out as a favourite

Overheard a couple walking past the back of the boat commenting on the name a while ago, maybe it was you! say hi next time :wave