pike fishing rockland broad

hi im a 26 year old angler who has fished since i was a nipper but never done much pike angling something i have always lustered after but never had much success pikeing :( ive done a great deal of carp fishing but have now turned my back on lake fishing i live in loddon near rockland broad so i now fish the staithe at the river chet in loddon with great success and also the river yare summer time again with good success beats lake fishing hands down. Im looking for someone who may be into the idea of passing on some knowledge on a practical 1 to 1 basis im a competent fisherman and dont need molly coddling i just need someone to take me pikeing and pass on some knowledge to someone who would be very grateful as everyone i ask seems to be secret squirrel and not prepared to help so if your a good pike angler with a heart pleas give me a look :)

thankyou im most grateful :) im off to rockland broad piking on the boat with me old fishing buddy si we have a range of baits and tactics to try as we have only fished it once before on saturday i will post our results tomorrow night we fished the staithe for a few hours today with great success usual tares and red maggot fished over a small bed off hemp with a pole setup which is undoubtedly the best tactic down there if you fancy trying it its a good spot with public toilets shop and cafe just over the road there are several characters who regularly fish down there and are more than happy to help a fellow unfamiliar angler it may take a little while to get to know the venue and read the water we've had great success all year round both me and my fishing mate have had roach to just over 2lb even bigger perch small chub under the willow tree near the small footbridge fishing light is the key good luck hope you get as much enjoyment from this lovely venue :wave

Plenty of big Pike being caught on the Wensum in the city,several 20 pounders have been caught recently

Good to hear, i'm awaiting better weather then heading down for a spot of piking. Bought all the extra bits for my tackle box for predator fishing a couple months ago and not had a chance to try any out yet. :roll:

thankyou very much we are going friday we went the other day i caught my first pike in the bay directly on your right as you come out of the short dyke cause of the weather we had to find a sheltered spot behind the reed beds in our little boat we both caught they were both around 6lb a nice size to handle for a first pike :) now as you say the city area is fishing well another friend who owns a boat came round yesterday morning down in the dumps as they say so i said "come on mate put the rods in the car we'll try and catch us some pike" his eyes lit up and off we went to his boat moored up at griffin mariner next to the bridge over the river yare next to the sewage works we sat on the back of his boat i set him up and cast his line within an hour to his excitement off his float went i told him to leave it 20 seconds then hit into it the rod bent right over to his excitement it surfaced it was huge we netted it as i'm not yet confident enough to pick them up via the gills we got it unhooked weighed it and it tipped the scales at 15.3lbs he was over he moon it gave him his mojo back then about half hour later his float went off again it was another cracker at 13.6lb i had to wait till then end of the day the light was fading away fast then to my joy off my float went i had to wait for my moment i waited overcoming with joy i struck into it and the rod bent for how cold it has been she gave a good fight we netted her in got her unhooked and got a picture we weighed her she was tipping the scales at 14.9lb i was over the moon :) :) :) right now for how i we caught them it was on a mixture of mackerel and smelts s on the float fishing method hard on the bottom i now have another friend hooked on catching big toothy critters. im going to rockland broad friday so fingers crossed we shall do well i will report back how we got on and whats successful i'm also off up the river yare from norwich with my mate we are very priveleged to have a friend offer to teach us a bit he was taught to pike fish by jack spool the famous eel fisherman so that will be very good stuff as you know as a fisherman that sort of thing does not happen often he was also present when another friend mk caught a 35.13 pike which is in the book called "broadland pike" right hope i've helped somebody and thankyou for you help very much appreciated

As a fellow beginner having only fished for pike twice and only landed 1 safely I'd be interested in any updates and advice you come across as you gain experience. Having been out on the boat and fishing as much as i have, i regulary see pike anglers but have never seen any actually catching anything. :lol:

It'll be cool to see more pikechaser69 posts in the future and try and get some photos uploaded when you catch the bigger beasts. :pirate

Good luck mate

of course i will keep you updated hopefully i can help pass the bug on i will sort the photos as and when all we had was a rubbish phone cam we will be taking a proper one from now on one thing i did find is that they are very powerful creatures you must handle them with care beats sitting in a bivvy fishing for carp with 20 other people round a man made pond throwing 20 quid of bait in and arguing about whos fishing where and the famous casts from the other side of the lake cause you have started catching river fishing beats that hands down if anyone wants any advice on summer fishing on the yare just ask as we have fished it for bream and big roach for a while will be happy to help as theres not a huge amount of up to date advice :)

just returned home from rockland broad pike fishing big smiles we sat on the boat near the bird hut next to the short dyke what a mornings fishing i had first was 16 the next was a pb of 18.6lb then another of 13lb then i had 2 under 10lb lost 2 all in a mornings fishing the fish gave a good fight for how cold its been it was a lovely morning as soon as the weather changed for the worse the bites stopped just like flicking a switch off. right so heres how i caught them it was a simple float method using smelts hard on the bottom right next to the reeds. im off to brammerton woods end tomorow and the river waveny sunday so fingers crossed

Well done, sounds like you are really enjoying your hobby which is excellent. A small suggestion which is given in good faith; a few full stops would make your reports read a lot easier instead of them being one very long sentence.

Look forward to hearing more reports of your fishing trips and keep on catching the Pike!

hey been to griffin mariner near the a47 fly over at norwich today. this time we have some pictures to keep you doubters happy. well we started at the mooring where my mate has his boat. i had one run and missed the bugger. we decided to try along the river on the boat for half a day with the 3 of us having no success so we returned to the boat yard for a crack at it again. we had our expert piker mr frost with us which proved very fruitful and helpful indeed many thanks to that man :). we sat at the mooring in the boat yard fishing off the back of the boat. i had 2 just into double figures and yes i have some photos to upload off my mates cam next time we get a chance. right well again i had one on the trusty old smelt and one on a whole mackerel float fished on the bottom again. my advice is to try the boatyards directly off the river this seems to be a pattern where we fish near brundall but as i said no luck on the main river :(