Glass tint

We have an awkward shaped window in our bathroom on the boat. To enable me to make some new curtains I would like to have a straight edge rather than the curved shape of the window as it is. My idea is to place a small sheet of tint on the odd shape. (Irish I know, but I can say that). Has anyone got any ideas for a paint tin you can paint on or some other idea. It is only an idea at the moment but any suggestions would be helpful.

M

We have an awkward shaped window in our bathroom on the boat. To enable me to make some new curtains I would like to have a straight edge rather than the curved shape of the window as it is. My idea is to place a small sheet of tint on the odd shape. (Irish I know, but I can say that). Has anyone got any ideas for a paint tin you can paint on or some other idea. It is only an idea at the moment but any suggestions would be helpful.

M

I'm not sure if I've understood you correctly, but if it's a question of obscuring the glass on an odd shaped window, I used Fablon frosted panel on the inside surface.

My window was very small, so I didn't want to reduce the light level at all. The Fablon can be stuck on (carefully from the centre with a spreader to avoid bubbles), and then trimmed very neatly in-situ with a very sharp modeling knife.

The photo doesn't show the frosting unfortunately because of the back-lighting, but you can see the neat effect, and the fact that you can't see anything through it.

post-669-136713962598_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Regarding the paint question,

There is a tint spray on the market. Normally used for tinting rear light clusters on cars to make them look black.

However, i wouldnt recomend it.

Firstly, You would need to remove the glass / plastic window and then even if you did manage to get a good finish with it, it will scratch off too easily.

Which means that you could never clean it without the risk of damaging it.

There is also a glass paint on the market as well. I know they make red, green & blue which wouldnt look too great really. As for a dark tint, this will be just a matter of applying several coats. (but not with the red, green or blue)

I have used this paint on bulbs before to change the colour and found them to work quite well. A window, im not so sure.

I think although this would have been a good idea, I will give this a miss and just make two curtains and they will have to take their chance on how they look and hang. After it is just a boat at the end of the day and not the Ideal Home Exhibition. Saying all that , thank you so much for your imput.

M