Thieves back again on Broads

Boaters

Heard that boats in Wayford and Stalham had gear stolen and one boat badly damaged :naughty: : This was in the paper and let's hope this is connected and they find the goods and take the scum out of circulation.I won't hold my breath as we and some others had our boats broken into and they caught the lads who were local and were taken to court and we all had about sixty pounds paid to us from them. :norty: I hope that they may have learnt by that ??? Last year they came by boat and had the mud weights including one stainless worth £200 . :o from six boats. two guns

.http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/two_a ... _1_1940622

chop their damn hands off I say,

Borrowed from East coast boats forum,

'

Massive Increase in Outboard Motor Theft

Postby ECB News & Info » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 pm

http://eastcoastboating.co.uk/wordpress/?p=4170

Another spate of outboard thefts in areas of The Broads, Cambridgeshire and the non-tidal Thames have highlighted the need for boat owners to be ever more vigilant.

Most recently a number of boats have been broken into in the Wayford and Stalham areas of Norfolk leaving one boat owner with his vessel ‘on the bottom’ after theives left holes below the waterline after tearing it’s motor off.

These thefts come just a few weeks after a large amount of property was taken when a gang targetted vessels moored in Brundall. On that occasion the gang were thought to have been using a small boat to avoid detection.

However more worryingly a signifiacnt number of outboards have been systematically stolen from vessels moored on the non-tidal Thames. So far over 100, with a value estimated at between a quarter and half a million pounds, have been taken in a little over two months.

It's certainly a depressing development in boating crime.

Looking at the wider picture over the whole of the UK it's almost entirely down to organised gangs shipping them abroad.

If your boat is moored in a quiet location there's not much that can be done to prevent thieves arriving by boat, all tooled up with saws and grinders.

Even if you did catch them at it, "having a go" at them personally could result in a much greater loss than property.

Phoning the law, (on a dark Winter's night) at a remote waterside location would be unlikely to catch them if they can escape by unmarked boat.

The only precaution for anyone with a high value outboard is comprehensive Insurance, with the security stipulations rigidly adhered to.

Lets face it, even Murderers and Armed Robbers get relatively light jail sentences now, and even they are reduced by remission for "good behavior"

What chance is there for meaningful punishment for someone stealing "just property"...

• 10 months later...

Still going on: @BroadsBeat: Be aware.Officers Parry & Chapman investigating the #theft of two #outboard engines since Christmas eve @WaveneyRiver centre.Any info please.101

Matt easy on your @'s and #'s as soon your  posts will need to come with a translator.

Twitter is a whole new language....

I signed up to Twitter, found it very dull and not needed so I did not return, it would also seem that many people get them selves in trouble by saying things which are often taken out of context.  Celebs now cannot move around without their every move being broadcast in seconds to the whole world.

I may sound like a grumpy old fart but I'm 32 and share this view with many of my peers. Twitter as a concept is fine but in reality is hugely damaging to society as a whole. or to surmise I do not like it! 

• Like 5

...I may sound like a grumpy old fart...

Me too Mark, (a grumpy old fart and not liking Twitter)..   :)

When the Internet first appeared I was quite a Geek and enjoyed working on website content.

The rise of sites like Facebook and Twitter leaves me cold now though.

It's a shame that the Internet's incredible availability of useful free information is accompanied by so much inane content.  For every useful page there now seems to be a hundred useless "Blogs"....

The rise of sites like Facebook and Twitter leaves me cold 

Glad I am not alone in thinking this way.    I detest their very existence,  they cause so much harm and distress they should be banned.    How people can spend all day on twitter , telling the whole universe what they are doing from minute to minute is beyond me.   Have they not got a life.   Soon they will be old and grey and wonder where on earth their life went to.   

• Like 1

Well I have to say that Facebook isn't quite the universal pariah I thought it to be.

In fact if I wish to keep up with the news of innumerable boating friends and six Grandchildren, then I have no choice but to follow it.

Not to mention several private groups where I can keep in contact with old chums from the RAF and later days. Without that I would be a much more solitary person and unable to chat with all those old mates.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how anyone can have anything against Facebook or Twitter.

Facebook is a blank canvas populated through people you add to your friends list or allow you to be added to their friends lists.

Be it you personally know them all or are 'friends of friends' or perhaps just happen to kind of sort of know someone, it is driven by the human nature of sharing what is going on in people's lives and others who know you equally being curious to be kept in the loop.  

Of course you can like a company or service and through that further be kept up to date of things going on - such as a boatyard and what is going on in their fleet, or partaking in a competition that would only be open to people who like them on Facebook. 

As for Twitter I find it very useful indeed - take the recent storm surge that hit Yarmouth and Lowestoft, it was everyday people with smart phones Tweeting and sharing video and photos that gave a real time feed of information the main media outlets just can't compete with.  In such circumstance Twitter is great in the first hour of an event but thereafter terrible for the next 12 hours as people re-tweet and recycle content.

The beauty is you can choose what to follow using 'hash tags'  e.g. #lowestoft  would get you Tweets which contained the word Lowestoft in them and with something like the free program 'Tweet Deck' you could have multipy columns updating in real time with multiple hash tags to monitor events.  When you are done, close and get on with things. 

I don't actually follow many people on Twitter but I do follow boatyards and people in the area because it is their Tweets that keep me upto date with what is going on.

Other good services are Instagram and Tumblr where people can share photos and blogs about pretty much anything, but is all searchable - you only need to seek what you wish to find. 

As for celebs and Twitter etc, they should already be aware of what they are posting and saying and that goes for anyone - Twitter is like sending a text message to the world - you should always think about what you say before hitting send.

• Like 1

I have no grievance with Facebook, I have parents/step parents whom have emigrated to different countries and its a great way to stay in regular contact. But Twitter some of you like it and can see the good, sadly I believe its out weighed by the bad. and as for all the hashtag speach I would just like people to write things without all the extra symbols, a smiley however those I like to add some expression to your words.    xmas4

• Like 1

......I'm not sure how anyone can have anything against Facebook or Twitter.

Facebook is a blank canvas.....

It isn't the "canvas", it's the way it is used.

It has enabled so many people to make such widely published fools of themselves, and often endanger themselves and their friends.