Thieves back again on Broads

Boaters

Looks like there may be more theft reports to follow-BB are asking owners to check their boats: @BroadsBeat: Owners - Please check your boats if moored on #TheBroads. More #marinecrime reported. #Malthouse Broad & #Upton dyke hit as well #Coltishall

Yep that'll be yet another 'You naughty individual,consider your wrist most firmly slapped' then  Let alone the forlorn hope of any compensation for damage caused to the craft, loss of insurance no claims bonus and the like

At least it looks as though they caught him, and if convicted, it will go on his record.

If he's got any previous, it all adds up.

Slightly better than an unsolved crime.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking to Broads Beat and others at the Anglia Afloat show Saturday I found out that that recent thefts were from our yard ,came by boat and broke the locks to get out it appears.They feel they are still active in the area ,but did say it is a nation wide problem with these motors going via container out of the country,draw our own conclusions as to who is involved ? I found that one of the guys knew of our break in some years ago ,but they were lads from the area and it was felt this time it is thieves coming into the area for the pickings as very little is found at local boat jumbles etc as was one of the outlets in the past.!

Whilst I except the argument about life taking priority over property, how does that relate to a murderer getting 10 years, yet the train robbers or brinks matt robbers getting 30 years.

I do think there is very much a high profile, low profile, take on crime, if these thefts hit the national news for a few days the resources for investigation would be found.

we offer a full removal of all out board for winter stored in a alrmed secret location 

as part or winter lay up and service ................

as the years have gone buy the number were less its all cost too......................

we noticed too that some owner orf stolen units are replacing with old units and getting paid out for a replacement four stroke to current market value .....................

shortage orf secound hand engines orf certian size now 

take it orf, take it hum and or give it to yer outbord man to sort it out if he is insured for such offer store expensive engies etc all well and good 

cost from ..........................£120.00 with us anyway ...............not an add just info ......

• Like 2

Broads beat now reporting further thefts at Ludham Bridge. I would have thought outboard insurance is going to rise dramatically? @BroadsBeat: STOLEN from Ludham Bridge since 06022014.Mercury 20HP outboard model no.F20ELPT colour black.Serial no.OR311023. Any info call 101. @BroadsBeat: STOLEN from Ludham Bridge since 06022014 Honda 25HP outboard colour silver. Model no.BFD4 25. Serial no.BATJ/1000086. Any info call 101.

I feel sorry for the guy with the honda 25hp, his boat was taken last year, with wires stripped and engine hot wired control lever and engine hood damaged, I replaced the ignition and damaged parts in the autumn and his boat is hit again, this might be what makes him give up boating.

I can see why. 

It costs us £25 to replace the 9kg propane calor gas bottles on our caravan. 

So goodness knows how much 13kg cost.  Butane is not quite as useful in the winter, as it freezes at a slightly temperature than propane.

Despite the changes to the regulations there is still a market in scrap value as well.

These will never be found, as there is just no way of identifying them.  Which is why the 'toe-rags' target them because the likelihood of being caught/convicted is next to nothing.

SueH