Walks on the Broads

chrisc37

Walks are probably too numerous to mention. The majority of moorings have a footpath to or from them, and along the rivers.

If willing to risk taking the boat up Upton Dyke (very narrow and only a few moorings at the end) there is a nice walk through woods & fields that then brings you back to the village for a pint at the White Horse.

Moor at Gay's Staithe off Barton Broad and then walk to the boardwalk that takes you to Barton Broad itself.

Try mooring at Womack water then take the footpath past Hunters Yard for another circular walk back to Ludham village.

If down south, the walk along the river from Bramerton to Surlingham Ferry is pleasant if it's not too muddy!

Walk from Reedham Village to the Ferry

etc, etc! As I say, plenty of opportunity to stretch your legs! Hope you have a great time!

How about mooring at the BA moorings at S WAlsham and walking back towards the river and then right along the bank towards Upton. Maybe stop in the pub White Horse I think then you have a choice of retracing your steps or a round trip via the road. (latter only advisable with asp or mobile phone sat mav)Lovely path and a real wildlife treat

Depending on which boat you have, if it can go under the Beccles old road bridge (at suitable tide) why not take the trip to Geldeston lock and (providing there`s public access of course) go for a walk along the bank of the continuation of the Waveney?. It`s a view of the river not seen by boat for a long time.

Or, moor at Chedgrave common on the NORTH bank of the Chet before you get to Pyes mill moorings and walk to Hardley flood, or alternatively to the village and back?.

If you`re in Potter Heigham, take the footpath on the southern bank from the old road bridge up to Martham and back?. Again, not seen as often as in the past because of the navigational restrictions due to bridge height.

As Mark says (mbird) walks are numerous, and can be of varied length and terrain, so one of the guides would a good way to discover which walks best suit your party.Whichever ones you do, don`t forget to take your camera, as if you`re away from the river, you`ll get some good shots you can`t see by boat. Have a great holiday.

Regards to all ........................ Neil.

• 8 years later...

I found this old thread and thought I'd give it a poke in the ribs.

We were aboard over the weekend as usual we like to take the time to explore in between my glueing or fibreglass operations. Saturday found us trying out the walk alongside the Bure Valley Railway from Wroxham. We found it to be a bit narrow, a high hedge one side and not much of a view the other, and there were bikes. We went for a mile before turning back. Is this walk any better further along?

Also, is there any free or reasonably charged parking near to the Broads favourite places? 

I know, the answer is to get the boat finished and get out there on the rivers! All in good time....

It's a nice walk from Boundary Farm moorings along the river to Thurne, also if you moor on Thurne mouth near the yellow markers there is a concrete path straight into the centre of Upton, you can then walk back down the dyke following the river, these are may favourite moorings but you get a lot of wash in this area as to be expected 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

I found this old thread and thought I'd give it a poke in the ribs.

We were aboard over the weekend as usual we like to take the time to explore in between my glueing or fibreglass operations. Saturday found us trying out the walk alongside the Bure Valley Railway from Wroxham. We found it to be a bit narrow, a high hedge one side and not much of a view the other, and there were bikes. We went for a mile before turning back. Is this walk any better further along?

Also, is there any free or reasonably charged parking near to the Broads favourite places? 

I know, the answer is to get the boat finished and get out there on the rivers! All in good time....

Quoting myself? Sorry I was a bit hasty when I wrote this.

I'm thinking places like Ranworth. There seems to be parking looking at google, but not much. Before now I have driven down long, narrow roads only to find "private parking" signs. Repps is one such place.

Adding to speedtriple’s reply if you stay in Potter another night then walk to the church and then head left down past the graveyard and right a few yards after on the 90 degree bend and follow the path into the woods, the walk along the mud bank at the back of Hickling broad via a bird hide and watch tower and ultimately spitting you back out onto the main road is worth taking a flask and sandwiches for, a decent jaunt. My favourite walk on the broads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RegalSafari said:

It's a nice walk from Boundary Farm moorings along the river to Thurne, also if you moor on Thurne mouth near the yellow markers there is a concrete path straight into the centre of Upton, you can then walk back down the dyke following the river, these are may favourite moorings but you get a lot of wash in this area as to be expected 

That’s good to know. We have never ‘wild moored’ upstream of Thurne Mouth, so I hadn’t realised you could get to Upton from there. We love the pub there.
There also a circular walking route from Acle that takes in Upton. 

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have always  found it a lovely walk from Cambridgee Cabby's favourite mooring on Ranworth staithe to the Maltsters. Scenic, some lovely views of a pub and not so far  as to exhaust me. I like to stay fit.

Is that why your right arm does all that weightlifting exercise once you get there? :default_winko:

10 hours ago, floydraser said:

Quoting myself? Sorry I was a bit hasty when I wrote this.

I'm thinking places like Ranworth. There seems to be parking looking at google, but not much. Before now I have driven down long, narrow roads only to find "private parking" signs. Repps is one such place.

At Ranworth, are you aware of the car park that is located down the lane/road(Farm Lane) just past the shop on the right hand side? Not huuuge but space for quite a few motors.

Edited by WherryNice
name of the road
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

At Ranworth, are you aware of the car park that is located down the lane/road(Farm Lane) just past the shop on the right hand side? Not huuuge but space for quite a few motors.

No. On google it's in shade and not obvious as a car park. Thank you, that's just the kind of answer I was hoping for! :default_trophy: I'll definitely be giving that one a try next time we're over!

• Like 1

BA Information Centres have a booklet on sale "Walking Close to the Norfolk Broads" 

The Broads Society have in their quarterly members magazine Harnser a walk supplied by the Norwich Branch of Ramblers in the July edition is a 5.5 mile walk around Coltishall & Belaugh

DSC_0000168.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 19/07/2021 at 21:34, Turnoar said:

Adding to speedtriple’s reply if you stay in Potter another night then walk to the church and then head left down past the graveyard and right a few yards after on the 90 degree bend and follow the path into the woods, the walk along the mud bank at the back of Hickling broad via a bird hide and watch tower and ultimately spitting you back out onto the main road is worth taking a flask and sandwiches for, a decent jaunt. My favourite walk on the broads.

And in Swallowtail season it's one of the best places to see them. Taking the opposite direction when you get through the wood is also good. In the graveyard at Potter is Herbert Wood's grave as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/03/2013 at 13:06, Brian said:

post-54-136713965618_thumb.jpg

Cockshoot broad walk is a great board Walk. Its in Horning, moor up opposite The Ferry Pub. Its a nature reserve.

Its one of my favorites.

Technically Cockshoot broad is the wrong side of the river for Horning, The Ferry Moorings south side of the river  are in Woodbastwick Parish, and most of the Cockshoot is in Ranworth Parish, the border between Woodbastwick and Ranworth appears to run down the dyke but which side I'm not sure..

12 hours ago, LizG said:

And in Swallowtail season it's one of the best places to see them. Taking the opposite direction when you get through the wood is also good. In the graveyard at Potter is Herbert Wood's grave as well

I have been here twice in the last few days. Weaver's Way to the south of Hickling Broad is so overgrown that the ferns are taller than me in places. The mozzies in the woods are very hungry too. Be prepared. If anyone finds a blue hair scrunchie, my good lady would like it back please.