Broads Authority Launches new high Speed Boat

Brian

Hello Clive,

I doubt it at high tide with that mast and could also be a problem on certain tides.

From other forums it was said that it went out to tender, at least it went to one of the Broads boatyards and not abroad like most other goverment/quango departments tend to do.

Regards

Alan

They had to have it built to patrol Breydon, as Breydon is now the respsibility of BA

I suppose it needs to be so fast as they need to catch all the Cigarette boats that traffic drugs into Norwich Via Breydon ! two guns.

Mercedes-AMG-Marauder-Cigarette-Boat-1.jpg

What ever were they thinking ?

Didnt anyone tell BA i sold the Bayliner a couple of years ago ! :naughty:

Not sure that they needed a vessel designed for 60 miles off shore and if they do I would love to see the risk assessment that allows river cruisers in novice hands to cross such a dangerous piece of water.

Fuel use should, and I am sure will be something that is strictly monitored on this new asset, and there should be little need to use it above tickover. it would be nice to see it published as a separate expense but I have a feeling that is not going to happen.

Given the price that was paid for the vessel, it was probably not that different in cost to one of their existing river launches. On the surface they seem to have got a very good deal.

I am also really pleased that the boat was brought from a local builder who we know have a proven pedigree.

My only worry is that as they are also the provider of service and repairs for the BA. It would have been nice to see the boat separate removing any possibility of accusation that figures could be offset with the service contract but it would also have been very unfair to exclude Goodchilds from the process on the basis that they do a good job of the current maintenance.

Just for your info ,not only did they look at other new boats they looked at buying secondhand ones and adapting them.

Given that they selected the type of boat, would they be able to go out to tender - presumably only Goodchilds will have the mould? I cannot remember the other boat they looked at closely but I guess there was more than one in the frame.

The existing boats are getting pretty long in the tooth and do lack a few creature comforts - such as toilets!!! Cannot really blame them for wanting one on board i suppose!!

Yes it did go out to tender, it was in the October 2012 edition of Boating Business. Having trouble with the scanner so I've typed it out below:

Public Notice for Tenders

The Broads Authority wishes to invite expressions of interest for tendering for the following contract A, B or C:

• A. To lay up {2) patrol vessel hulls and superstructures from an existing Broads Authority owned moulding.

• B. To lay up (2) patrol vessel hulls and superstructures from an existing Broads Authority owned moulding and to fit out and complete one patrol launch.

• G. To fit out and complete from the above moulding one patrol launch.

Businesses with an interest in tendering for this requirement should apply to, Adrian Vernon at the Broads Authority, Dragonfly House, 2 Gilders Way, Norwich. Norfolk. NR31UB. Telephone 01603 756054. Or electronically to adrian.vernon@broads-authority.gov.uk for further information and to be later sent a copy of the tender documentation. Expressions of interest must be returned to the Chief Executive at the address below to be received no later than mid-day, Friday 26th October 2012

John Packman

September 2012

Chief Executive Broads Authority

Dragonfly House

Norwich NR3 1UB

Neil,

this was for the Charles Collier launch,

I will be interested to see how much this ends up costing and also the expected delivery date.

I am not sure the new 'Breydon' launch will even fit in the new shed they are building at Thorpe.

The base next to Hunters in Ludham was built but turned out to be virtually useless so they dont really use it, They decided to mothball it during the 'cost cutting' excersise a couple of years ago but could not find any one to take it on.

I did consider if I could do anything with the Ludham site when it came up for lease, but there are a few issues.

1) Access - I don't know the details but I believe there are planning restrictions concerning vehicle access to the site. Certainly physical access is through Hunter's Yard's car park, which pretty much precludes getting boats to and from the site by land, or deliveries by large vehicles.

2) Parking - there isn't much, which is probably what scuppers it for either private moorings or a hire operation.

3) The boatshed isn't really high enough to deal with anything much bigger than the BA river launches, similarly the boat lift isn't really large enough for a lot of Broads motor cruisers.

On the plus side, if somebody did take it on, the office space on the first floor has great views over the marshes and the river. :)

Of course if somebody did want to take it on, and needed a surveyor/BSS examiner/project manager for their business, I'd definitely be interested in talking to them.

edit to reply to previous post...

perhaps, but as a commercial operation it is not an option but the BA is not a commercial operation and does not appear to have any desire to operate as one would,therfore there is no suprise.

There are indeed many limitations of the Ludham Field Base and as has been said there are practical issues on turning it over to a traditional Broads boat yard type operation. Having said that I can think of some uses for associated business projects although traffic restrictions for the lane won't help any prospective users. My guess is that the prospective lease costs are just too high for the type of business that can in all probability use it.

The actual workshop facilities are fine but the basin is very small and it has no slipway, just a manual hoist. In all probability it is in reality best suited to the current occupiers and if money was not so tight, they would probably keep it. The central location is well suited to much of BA,s operations and they may indeed be forced to retain it if it cannot be successfully let I suspect.

Currently many of the staff spend a lot of time moving around from their new Thorpe Depot which is hardly close to a lot of their operational area.

There are indeed many limitations of the Ludham Field Base and as has been said there are practical issues on turning it over to a traditional Broads boat yard type operation. Having said that I can think of some uses for associated business projects although traffic restrictions for the lane won't help any prospective users. My guess is that the prospective lease costs are just too high for the type of business that can in all probability use it.

The actual workshop facilities are fine but the basin is very small and it has no slipway, just a manual hoist. In all probability it is in reality best suited to the current occupiers and if money was not so tight, they would probably keep it. The central location is well suited to much of BA,s operations and they may indeed be forced to retain it if it cannot be successfully let I suspect.

Currently many of the staff spend a lot of time moving around from their new Thorpe Depot which is hardly close to a lot of their operational area.

Why did they build it then why not rent a local office?

Why build another one???

I guess money is not tight.

It must be like watching your Ex wife spending your life savings on shoes :roll: