The council on the broads

brandenjg

Hi everyone, thought i'd drop in a post on a subject i found quite interesting. Norwich city council have spent the last week cleaning the river in norwich. At a cost of £3000 they've had access to a boat and a floating pontoon. Since monday they've been directly picking rubbish from the river and surrounding banks, clearing over hanging branches and the removal of graffitti. The area cleared is what i would class as beyond most visitors to the broads navigation as the work was carried out mainly from bishopgate bridge all the way round to the end of navigation.

Hopefully the clean up could mean the start of some action after varied discussions on how to turn the water into a real feature of norwich tourism. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for any new moorings and water taxis (2 of the suggested ways to improve tourism).

Kind regards Branden

If the banks and river are left with litter and generally in a sad state it attracts more of the same. However if cleared on a regular basis and the place looks spotless then that is how it will stay. Most normal people do not go around dropping litter and dumping bags of rubbish. Well done Norwich Council.

If the banks and river are left with litter and generally in a sad state it attracts more of the same. However if cleared on a regular basis and the place looks spotless then that is how it will stay. Most normal people do not go around dropping litter and dumping bags of rubbish. Well done Norwich Council.

Hear, Hear!

And thanks for the post, Branden. We haven't been past Bishops' Bridge for a couple of years beacause of fearing what might wrap itself around the prop.

Good to hear that, and I agree with Hylander's comments. Now they need to start on the roads too! Only yesterday it stuck me just how littered the A47 has become near Acle and I struggle to remember the last time I saw a litter picking patrol along the road; something which was commonplace a couple of years ago. I only hope the new McDonalds at Brundall doesn't increase this.....