Charging Points at 24hr moorings

Hylander

So with all these electric hook ups, what provision are the hire companies and private boaters doing about galvanic corrosion caused by electrical leakage, and a difference in earth potential of the supply, and that of the surrounding water?

Let's say a steel boat is moored next to you connected to the shore power, his anodes have seen better days, you connect your boat to the shore power, thus in effect you are connecting your hull and stern gear directly to his unprotected hull, via the common earth of the electric posts, so your anodes will then start to protect his boat.

People have fitted galvanic isolators, or isolating transformers, to help reduce or prevent this problem, but surely with more badly maintained boats on the system, and more hook ups, then this problem can only get worse.

Leaving an electrical supply connected 24/7 might cause quite a few issues if not provided for.

Absolutely and it is not anode related either. It is to do with earth leakage and underwater metal parts acting as battery plates.There is shedloads of info about this on other forums. If you do use shore power extensively you had best install a galvanic isolator. Well maintained boats have suffered from galvanic corrosion. GRP of course does not corrode but the stern gear can.

Now, what would be nice is electric points on substantial mooring posts around the fringes of Barton Broad... saves mud weighting lol...

Mind you it would take the excitement away on a breezy evening, as you try to guess where you will be in the morning lol...

We have put three mud weights down before now, and still dragged them.

I'll be making my own galvanic Isolator, having researched them, price on ebay which is probably as cheap as you'll get £45 to £100.

Parts inside cost £5 - £10 (a pair of block diodes and a capacitor)

nice heat sink Box (which you don't really need £20) or

suitable aluminum extruded box £6.

oh and a couple of connectors if you want it removeable (I don't)

But if you're not in electronics (which I am) and don't know what you are doing don't risk it, that lots of volts and current in there,

Hi all,

the boat I'm hiring doesn't have 240v so im taking my camping electric hook up thingy to use if and when we moor near an electric point. My question. If i say get a £1 card, how long will this last?

Thanks.

If it has a 16A Commando plug on it you will be OK.

Just charging a phone or tablet it should last days - would you not be better charging from a cigarette lighter socket or if your lucky a USB socket in the radio - that's what we do. Doubt it would drain much out of the batteries either if you did it when the engines were not running.

I have a USB charger pack that will charge up to 8 devices from empty (2 at a time) including tablets. I use it when I know I will be off grid for a long time - and then recharge the charger pack when you have leccy or plug it in and charge from the 12v system with a USB adapter when your motoring.

Find a pub. Order a meal and a few beers, ask if you plug said device in.

If not, have another beer and forget about the phone!

Hope you have a great holiday and good luck with the charging. :dance

excellent advice, thanks!!!

i have one of theseattachicon.gif81ayWuH6eNL._SX425_.jpeg

Hi Jim, some years back, i was looking to make the same as this, but was told of the sort of device below. It`s the typ of thing i mentioned earlier, but this one has a circuit breaker built in, AND it has 2 usb ports for charging gizmos etc.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outwell-power-plus-mobile-mains-kit-p333289

There is also this one, but it does`nt have the usb ports.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/maypole-mobile-mains-power-unit-230v-10a-p311812

I noticed the one in your piccy does`nt seem to have a circuit breaker, so this sort of device is complete and CE approved.

• Like 1