Richardsons 45 flybridge

Clive

Your team did a great job. Just as you would have of expected

Such a team doesn't happen by accident. Good luck to you all for this coming season.

As to delivery of a private owners model, I expect that'll be a few seasons away yet before you have a free build slot - such will be the popularity of "The Commodore" class.

Once again - Good Luck - and well done to you all!

Simon

• Like 2

the hull of number 2 is in the mould, the components are made and we start the superstructure tomorrow, 

Broadway 4 is on the car park and the build will be started tomorrow after we have tidied the bomb site formerly known as the build shop!

We have a few new ideas which we will probably bring out on the new Broadsman/carousel class for next year.. nothing ground breaking- yet!

If I was any of the larger yards investing tens of thousands of pounds in 'off the peg' molds I would certainly be worried about my customers salivating over Richardson's new boat and wanting to book it.  It makes the Alpha 44 seem very dated not just in design of the mold but even the bonded windows and the side door that is so well made to be flush (hello Broom influence).

Hi Robin, 

Lovely comments cheers, but I need to correct you about the doors, whilst I would not like to admit to nicking anyones ideas  :naughty:  the sliding doors, although used on the Brooms were first introduced by Porter and Haylett in the late 80s on the 'Traditions' 

Clive,

Fair enough so Porter and Haylett came up with a good idea that has lasted the test of time and influenced both your good self and Broom ;)

I think the overall design really works and I envy those who will hire this boat - alas not sure I can afford that for the time being since I've got it in my mind it would be a good idea after all these years to learn to drive and get a car.

It is certainly a shame that the only designs available now are the Alphas (which, before the RC range didn't look terribly dated), Richardsons (which aren't available to other yards) and Ferrys (which only exist at Ferry and two Sedans at NBD). I guess I shouldn't ignore Brooms here, but these aren't really designed as hire boats (although popular with smaller parties).

The opportunity for a smaller yard to develop new boats is very limited, and, as Robin says, building a "new" boat against the very new Richardsons fleet is quickly becoming the process of making something that looks dated.

Changing things such as windows, even just the frame colours and glass tints makes a remarkable difference, but I wonder whether any other hire yard will develop their own designs again and offer them to other fleets.

And, my opinion on the new Commodore? Crikey. It's a good looking thing.

• Like 4

I think Richardson’s saw the boat and got on board back in the bleak days when number of people hiring was falling and invested a huge amount to begin the production of the original Broadsman.

Now with the launch of Commodore and the success of their platinum fleet I am sure other large yards are looking thinking ‘damn we were caught napping’. 

Of course it can be argued that a new shiny boat will get people to hire it – at a premium price above others and indeed that is so.  Brinks Rhapsody really is lovely inside and innovative with how it is propelled, but externally it does not look wonderful with the rigid solar panels (because the design mold is not and never was designed to have panels put on it).

it won’t take too long for people to see Commordore and think they ought to have a look at that next trip, and if you can then have a really efficient and friendly customer service to match your product you’ve caught a customer, made them happy and they will question going elsewhere for the next holiday.

As time passes I am sure it will not be lost on yards like Barnes Brinkcraft and Herbert Woods what would we do if Alphacraft went by the wayside?  Would there be a sudden buy up of molds and take over where they left off, or would they be forced to come up with they own in house molds like Richardson’s have. Either way they will have to go through all the learning curve Richardson’s already have, thus be starting from behind.

I’d like to see a sort of ‘design completion’ where different boatyards had different designs, just like in the past – the problem is do we have enough customers to support such investment and what if in the next couple of years numbers dropped suddenly – so it is a risky investment.

Hmm having commented about how good the design is I have to say I'm not a fan of the Porter & Haylett style side door. For me they will always be inferior from a practicality point of view to a straight forward rear cabin door. However I shall try and keep an open mind until I see onboard the boat. No doubt the (doorless) rear cabin is a joy to behold.

There is a side access on the Stbd side via the upper helm for when you are moored on the other side so that you don't have to clamber over the aft deck or down the side of the boat, we have tried tomato the steps to the upper helm better than other similar boats but they are not as good as the side access, there are ideas about putting a rear door in another model but we would  probably have to rethink the footwell for the upper seating..

Remote locking on a boat! I hope Clive can get these built fast enough as I think they will be extremely popular! Thanks for putting the pictures up, do you have any pics of the forwars cabin Jonzo? And which is better aft or forward just so I can get dibs in early!!

Yeah.. don't like it... looks terrible  :liar  :naughty:

It's good to see it all finished after seeing it being constructed in the thread and It's nice to see such a high quality of boats coming along.. :bow  :bow  Shame I will never be able to hire one though.  Well done all involved and I hope she's well looked after whilst on hire!

cheers

Mysen and MrsG were kindly invited onboard for a look-see over the weekend.

Awesome inside and out.

We have seen the future and it was afloat and called 'Commodore'

Just two points that stood out - the boot topping needs raising as the white gell finish shows off the river muck far too easily and makes even a new shiny boat with a dirty bottom look like it needs a clean.

The domestic fridge ain't big enough!

(Oh and it could have done with a Beta powerplant rather than a french one)

Griff

• Like 2

Ah yes, we didn't have time to bring her out and raise the water line she is not laying in for a while now but will sort that..

as for the fridge I think you are probably right but I drink real ales which don't need chilling like the fizzy stuff.

Has your 50hp red engine got the poly Vee belt like our blue one with a 130a alternator? 

I can quote for fitting a Nanni in BA if you want to upgrade? 

• Like 3

Lovely looking boat there Clive. 

We moored next Broadlander 1 on Saturday night and

have to say that the Shower pump is as noisy as hell! 

Not only did it we keep hearing it going off past Midnight

but our neighbours did too. (We moored on their portside)

The people on board maybe didn't realise how noisy this

was from outside the boat but we didn't get to sleep until

past 12.30. 

Maybe something you could look at Clive? Maybe sit the

pump on rubber bobbins or something to insulate them

from the hull.

Otherwise, they are all really nice looking craft and a

credit to you and the team.