How busy is it in July?

Primus

Hi,

We have been doing narrowboat/canal holidays over the last few years and have really got the boating bug.

Looking at booking a week in July on the broads,did a trip approx 10 years ago which was a weekend stag do cheersbar ( this 1 plans to be quieter and less rowdy as a family trip ).

I mentioned my intentions to someone who did this 2 years ago and while he said they loved the broads and the scenery they expressed their reservations about the time of year we are going and it being like a bank holiday stuck on the M6 ( his words ). Now this person is a fellow canal boater ( he also works on the canals ) so is possibly used to the more slower steady trundling pace of life the canals bring so he could be biased but he did say he would definately do the broads again but he would go off season to avoid the amount of traffic/people he encountered.( he's really not as antisocial as he seems )

I don't remember it being overly busy when I went last time but this was at the end of september.

His main points of concern were.

Heavy boat traffic ( he was waiting to pull out of his berth at Marina and was waiting for over an hour as boat after boat went passed ).He said he had never seen that many boats on 1 stretch of water before.

Found it difficult to moor up due to the amount of boats and boats were forced to moor up 3 boats side on

3 Boat rage incidents in 1 day :shocked more than he'd ever seen on the canals in total in 15 years.

Pubs and waterside eateries were also really crowded even if it was possible to moor up close by.

I asked if there was some sort of event happening that could explain it and he said there wasn't as he had asked other boaters but he was also told that it was a particularly busy week for whatever reason.

Were his experiences ( now my concerns ) the norm for high season on the broads or is it nothing to worry about.

Many thanks

Jonzo,

Thank you very much for your reply..We were looking at the northern broads and this is were we were concerned about.Our plan was to leave from Wroxham but we are now looking at the southern broads and possibly Brundall...Again thanks for the info..Much appreciated cheersbar

Jonzo,

Thank you very much for your reply..We were looking at the northern broads and this is were we were concerned about.Our plan was to leave from Wroxham but we are now looking at the southern broads and possibly Brundall...Again thanks for the info..Much appreciated cheersbar

Primus, Hi. Welcome aboard from us. cheers

If by July you mean the school holidays period, then yes, the Northern Broads can be quite crowded.

Hiring from Brundall, or Thorpe near Norwich, does give you that quieter option of the Southern Broads.

Will you have children and how old are they? Then members can offer some ideas of where to go...

PS. Do you have a forename we can use, please?

Hi John and Mary-Jane, :wave

There will be me the Missus and a 17 year old with us but with the possibility of a 10 year old coming as well.

We would be looking at July 13th-20th and hadn't looked at Thorpe.

Originally looked at Wroxham as Barnes Brinkcraft had a boat we liked the look of but are open to suggestions.

If you or anyone else can give any insight into routes/ideas then that would be very welcome.

Thanks for your time in replying cheersbar

Dean

If you do choose to go from the north then get a dinghy if you are happy to have a row. The kids will love it and the busier places such as Horning, womack and Ranworth will be accessible by dinghy when the moorings are full.

You can still use a dinghy in the dough in places but the current makes it hard work in places!

Dean, Hi.

There are several yards at Brundall, Alphacraft comes to mind.

One of our members, Freedom Boating hols has boats at Thorpe and is well talked about.

Maffett cruisers at Loddon have budget boats.

When you decide where you're hiring from then it will be easier to suggest routes.

Hi Dean, welcome from me too. Over the last 2 years my wife and i decided to stay on the southern rivers having hired from Maffett cruisers, and we were glad we did. We`ve NEVER had any trouble mooring. We also appreciated the peace and quiet more, and enjoyed some really lovely "out of the way" moorings too.

As for your party, you say you`ll have 1 or 2 children with you, are the both girls or boys, are are they mixed, as there are not that many boats that have "single" cabins, which will also affect your choice of boat.

Regards ................... Neil.

You can still hit from the north & then travel to the southern side, we have done this the last couple of years. This also enables you to stop off @ Yarmouth, plenty there for the kids to do.

You then have the best of both worlds the North where there are more things to do & then the quieter southern side where you can relax a bit more. Just check you tide tables to make sure you are going with the tide not against it, this will keep your fuel usage down. For yards look at Richardsons or Herbert Woods better value & still good quality IMO.

Hi Minor, yes, you can go from north to south and back, but in all honesty, you`ll take up around 2 days of your holiday travelling and use a lot more deisel, whereas if you stay south, you could always moor at Reedham, or even Brundall, and catch the train in to Yarmouth, or even bus or taxi it from St Olaves. Then you`d have an extra day to relax and cruise the peaceful southern rivers.

Hi Dean, I have also done a trip from South to North and back in a week, but you do have to pick the correct week as it is very dependent on the tide times being right for passing through Yarmouth both going and coming back. If you do think of doing the round trip remember that you not only have to get through Yarmouth at slack water but you also need to have enough time to get to your desired mooring spot before sunset, and to allow enough time to carry on to an alternate if that spot is full-up when you get there. You also spend at least two days of your trip going up and down the lower stretch of the Bure which is probably one of the most boring sections of the area.

On a one week trip I would say stay in the North or South, and pick a boat from a yard in the chosen area.

I would say though that I find a lot more reeds fringing the rivers down south and I would go for a higher boat,

i.e. a centre-cockpit or fly-bridge model so that who-ever is on the helm can actually see more than just the river and the reeds...

I can also remember the busy days of the eighties, when I nicknamed the section of the Bure between the Ant and the Thurne the M25 as there were that many cruisers and day boats going each way, and when double of triple banking was common at places like Reedham.

I came back to the Broads a few years ago and was actually pleasantly surprised that there were a lot less boats around.

Yes the North does tend to have more hire-boats around but I have done several cruises up there in the school summer holidays in the last few years without too much trouble finding a mooring etc.

Some of the very popular spots do fill up quite early, and you may want to go for a plan involving leaving early and then mooring-up early especially when hoping to stop overnight at Ranworth or Horning. (The "cheat" if you want to stop over-night in Horning is to book a table for dinner at the New Inn and reserve one of their moorings at the same time.)

Dean, Good Morning.

Actually the tides are pretty favourable if you don't mind an early start!

Assuming you get away from Richardsons (as one of the furthest boatyards from Gt Yarmouth) by 15.00 it'll take you about 3 hours to Acle to overnight. The Bridge Inn at Acle is a good stop but do book ahead if you intend to eat there.

Then an early start on Sunday (about 07.15) and you're through Gt Yarmouth at 09.10, which is slack water, on Sunday morning. I'd not advise you to try for Gt Yarmouth Saturday night as the Rangers may well have left and mooring there near low water without help can tax anyone. (The banks are high at low water and the river will still be running quickly).

Returning to the North, slack water is at 13.00 on Thursday and 14.20 on Friday.... Sunset is just after 21.00 so you'd have plenty of time to get back to somewhere near the yard by early evening Friday.

Hope this helps! :):)

Yes you could do that speed, but isn't it false economy as the money you save on diesel will just go on bus or taxi fare?

As for spending 2 days of your holiday going North to South & back again, I don't see it as any time wasted especially if it's your first time ont the broads as you are still relaxing at the helm exploring & enjoying the views. The only downside is the stretch between Stracey & Yarmouth possibly the most blandest views & boring stretches of river on the broads. Still if your going with the tide it doesn't take long.

Hi,

It would seem that your friend either had a very hard time, or is particularly sensitive. Yes of course July school hols is the busy time, but really the issues are not as described.

I have been coming to the broads all of my life and owning a boat and not being tied to school holidays can go virtually when I like but I certainly do not shrink from visiting in the busy periods, indeed the buzz of seeing happy people enjoying their holidays and lots of boats out on the water is just one more magic dimentions of the broads rich tapestry.

Boat rage? rubbish ! never seen that, might be a bit of a dispute over the last choice mooring at a popular spot and a few carefully chosen words of anglo saxon. You might also hear a few choice words from a private owner when someone is reverse mooring at a speed Donald Campbell would have been proud to have reached in Bluebird and a young family member weilding a very substantial boat hook which they intend to inpale in your boat to aid the mooring process. Just don't get involved, sit back and enjoy the free show.

As a country boy I love the scenary, the wildlife, the fish and the seclusion but I also enjoy the holiday atmosphere at peak season.

Occaissonally you will read both on here and on NBF posts which I can only believe are intended to either keep the visitors down or an attempt to ruin the Norfolk economy, people write about yob behavior and try to make out its full of drunken yobs, Those sort of post make me cross.Taint so, yes its a popular holiday destination for stag parties, maybe even the odd sweet sherry is consumed before dinner, but by and large it is a case of a few people putting on fancy dress and having a good time, I for one welcome them. What you must remember is we are talking of the same cross section of the population as you see everywhere else, together with the odd pain in the **** who will make a nuisance, just remember if you do come across such a being they will be in your life for a few short hours only, then out of it forever.

The buisiness of taking an hour to get out of the marina, I just cannot understand that comment at all. I would go as far as saying that apart from some sort of major incident it would make no sense at all. Couple of minutes at most to slip into the stream.

True about the popular mooring, beside pubs etc, yes they will fill up at lunch and tea time, people have this idilic image of mooring outside a pub, well that might work on the canals, but very limited on the broads ask around though if you want a pint or a meal there are a number of good pubs just a short walk away from the quieter moorings.

Remember also that although its popular in the summer I believe the number of hire boats is a fraction of the number that there was in the 70 and early 80s, I am guessing 33% ish but I am sure that someone will correct the figure. And it still worked well then!

So if you can only come in the holidays don't be put off, I will be there but I will probably be the one who has been moored since 10.30 or 11! .

One more thing Please moor close to the next boat on the mooring its so selfish to moor in the middle of a gap that should fit two 40 footers and for someone to take up two spaces.

Hi All,

Fisrtly thanks very much for all of your replies and advice and to let you know I will be doing my own leg work and research and not expecting you all to plan my trip for me :) I just like to ask the experts for their input!!

Gordon: Thank you for you detailed advice very helpful however I have asked my friend about the issues again and he is far from over sensitive and stands by what he described.

He did see 3 incidents of boat rage ( punches being thrown ) however he does say that they could have been related incidents as they were in the same night along the same stretch of water and this could have happened anywhere so he wasn't saying this was typical behaviour of the broads and he wasn't trying to put me off in anyway as he said he had a good time and would definately go again just not that time of year ( hence my original post ). cheersbar

Anyway back onto topic.We will definately now be hiring in the south and will look at all the companies mentioned here.However 1 thing we hadn't really thought about are the tides, I have no experience with this what so ever as last time I went only 2 people really drove the boat and i don't remember tides being an issue..So for a complete novice would this cause a problem?..I know I'll get some basic instruction but I have never even seen a tide chart (?) never mind read one but I'm also sure I'm not the 1st person with no experience to hire on the broads so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too troublesome...Am i putting too much though into this issue or should i just go with the flow ( pun intended )!!

Again many thanks for the invaluable advice and I'm sure once i have booked the boat ( hopefully next week ) then I'll have a tonne more question!!

cheers All

Hi All,

i don't remember tides being an issue..So for a complete novice would this cause a problem?..I know I'll get some basic instruction but I have never even seen a tide chart (?) never mind read one but I'm also sure I'm not the 1st person with no experience to hire on the broads so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too troublesome...Am i putting too much though into this issue or should i just go with the flow ( pun intended )!!

cheers All

Dean, Good Evening.

If you've got an active 17 year old with you it shouldn't be a problem... only thing to remember is always moor into the current!

Hi Primus. Glad you still intend to go. I am sorry your mate did not have as good a time as he should have had As far as the tides are concerned don't get too hung up about them you will be in waters regularly navigated by complete novices perfectly safely. The only time you will need to consult the tables is if you intend to go through Yarmouth to or from Breydon. Plenty advice on that in the hire manual the free broadcaster magazine and of course on this very forum. Heed the mooring advice from the good admiral on the last post. You will be fine. Enjoy. Now the exciting thing. Choosing your boat

Admiral and Gordon,

Again thank you for the input on the tide questions i knew i had come to the right site!!....Have just started looking at Boats on the south and have already had to rule out Maffett as their boats go from Fri-Fri and we have to go Sat-Sat due to work commitments but have seen a couple at Richardsons and at Freedom Boating so confident we'll get something that fits the bill....Just realised however that the 1st ashes game will be on day 4 when we arrive....Now to find a boat with Sky!! :grin:

cheers

Dean

Hello Dean,

Welcome to the forum.

You have already had a lot of good advice regarding the Broads.

Friends of mine used to hire two boats from Silverline and found them very good, also Alpha Craft is in the same location and of course the new boats that Broom's are now hiring, we had a quick look around these this week and they look very tidy.

With the Southern Broads as long as you do not go through Yarmouth you will not need tide tables as already mentioned, but you will need to be aware of the rise and fall of the tides when mooring.

Have a good and safe holiday.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a quick update...Boat is booked and we finally chose sanderson marine out of Reedham and we booked through Hoseasons.Got a fantastic deal in fact we are paying half of what we expected to pay out of Wroxham so delighted at that...No plans as such in terms of where we will end up as we are just going to relax enjoy and see what happens.

1 more question though...Can anyone recommend any good up to date guide books/maps for the broads?

We use Pearsons for the canals and overall are very good, we would want the usual guide/tips on pubs,restaurants shops and good mooring spots included.

Again many thanks to you all !!

Dean

Hi Dean, i think you`ll find the Pearson operation from Reedham is nothing to do with the Pearson operation on the canal network?. Which boat have you hired, and which week will you be going?.

As far as maps and guides go, we always use the "GEO projects" one from the BA. It`s an excellent map, and if you get the latest edition, it has individual local maps as well as the general plan map of the Broads. It also shows pubs, moorings, shops boatyards etc etc, so it`s all the maps and guides you`ll need for the Broads in one. As for guides withing the Norfolk and suffolk area away from the Broads, the best thing to do is to contact your local tourist information centre, and they will contact any relevent Norfolk/Suffolk offices with a view to sending you any local details of what`s on and where.

Regarding moorings etc, if you`re looking for a bit of peaceful fishing, then i`d recommend the head of Langley dyke or Rockland staithe, both on the Yare, or Geldeston loch at the head of navigation on the Waveney (mind the bridge height at Beccles), plus Pye`s mill moorings on the Chet which would make an ideal first night stay, as it`s only an hours cruise from your base at Reedham.

Have a great holiday, and when you come back, don`t forget to write up a tale in the holiday tales section.

Regards and best wishes ................... Neil.