Sorry I have not replied to this earlier, I have just got back from a holiday in Greece and now trying to get used to our wonderful UK weather.  :roll:

As has already been said, you cannot have two AC sources connected together and must have a change over switch. As with MBA Marine I prefer a manual switch as you know exactly what is happening, although I have fitted automatic changeovers with no real problems. 

I would find it highly unlikely your 230 AC set up is the cause of your charger failure, that said though I am a little confused why you would need your invertor on for your charger to function. I am guessing the charger has been connected to the invertor power source or you do have a automatic change over relay and it has stuck on the invertor power source and not the shore power, If this is the case due to invertor efficiency's you would certainly be overworking your battery charger.    

As far as MCB's are concerned a 16amp B type breaker will run continuously at 16 amps with no chance of tripping. As a rule of thumb an MCB will trip at 3 to 5 times full load current. Of course other factors do come into account.

Trevor, please feel free to PM me if you need assistance.