Slow speed and reverse steering

Hi everyone, Whilst looking through ebay i stumbled upon an outboard rudder extender. My question is are these any good/ do they work. From research (google) it seems they give greater maneuverability when moving at slow speeds or in reverse which i know is a problem i have with my boat. Although I've adapted to how my boat handles i can see a rudder extender being a useful bit of kit if it works.

Below is a picture of the version on ebay.

Thanks Branden

post-465-0-31013100-1369528474_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, Whilst looking through ebay i stumbled upon an outboard rudder extender. My question is are these any good/ do they work. From research (google) it seems they give greater maneuverability when moving at slow speeds or in reverse which i know is a problem i have with my boat. Although I've adapted to how my boat handles i can see a rudder extender being a useful bit of kit if it works.

Below is a picture of the version on ebay.

Thanks Branden

Yes it will help but dont expect a miracle.  you need a large rudder like yacht would achieve much turning in reverse.

I've fitted rudder attachments to every outboard and outdrive boat that I've had that is used extensively at displacement (no-planing) speeds.

The improvement in maneuverability has been dramatic, up to about 8 mph, where previously they "wandered" a lot, and lost steerage completely in neutral, even though still moving.

I even went to great DIY lengths to fit a proprietary Dutch "Ruddersafe" to my Volvo Penta Duo Prop outdrive on my 23ft 200hp cruiser.

Cruising along at 4mph, is now just like a shaft drive displacement cruiser, no wandering, and no constant course correcting.

When coming into a mooring, the engine can be put into neutral, and there is now the same steerage way as a conventional rudder, whereas before, all steering was lost with the power off.

The simplest and cheapest models with the non-lifting rudder blades work just as well, but can be dangerous at planing Speeds, as they enable a much tighter turning circle.

The "Ruddersafe" or "Course Keeper" is more expensive (about £140 from Compass24), because it is a much more sophisticated design, with an automatic pivot on the blades so that they lift out of the prop thrust at speed, making them safe for high speed boats at any speed.

http://www.compass24.com/product/95958018/ruddersafe

I'm a little surprised at your problem with steering in reverse. This is where outdrives and outboards excel in comparison with conventional rudder boats.

Because the whole prop assembly swivels, the reverse thrust is vectored, pulling the stern of the boat in the direction of the steering, so outboard powered boats can be steered really well backwards, around quite tight bends.

By comparison, shaft drive boats with rudders often have to resort to quick blips of "ahead" with the rudder thrown over, to achieve any sidways force.

Even as standard, an outboard is effectively a fully steerable "stern thruster".

If you google "ruddersafe", you'll find plenty of good feedback from users.

https://www.google.co.uk/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=ruddersafe&oq=ruddersafe&gs_l=hp.3..0l4j0i30l6.1087.3307.1.4204.10.9.0.1.1.0.231.1036.6j2j1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.14.hp.6EiUSjXQuTs&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47008514,d.d2k&fp=1e0359cdbaae5f65&biw=1292&bih=674

ruddersafe%20vp%20leg.jpg

It will make a difference, as Strowager says. As your prop is directional, you'll already have reverse steering anyway.

The greatest difference is likely to be in the fact that you will gain more manouverability in neutral (providing you're moving through the water, of course).

The downside is that you got more stuff sticking out the back of the boat which may cause damage or impedence in tighter spots.