3 rivers race 2013

C.Ricko

I've managed to edit down the film I took of all the entrants of the 3RR at the start to just over 13 minutes and it is now on YouTube.

It was really done as a trial for my new compact camera - a Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1 which shoots HD movies too. It's actually quite impressive for such a tiny little camera, although wind noise was a major issue ...... hence having to add a soundtrack to mask it!  I'll sort out the Potter Heigham footage when I get the chance.

Carol

Congratulations, as you said, you've achieved something a lot of people didn't think was possible.

Over the past couple of days* I've had the opportunity to glance admiringly at Raisena over the basin from where I was doing a survey at Woods Dyke, she's a very impressive boat. Not sure I'd want to handle something that big, even with a willing crew, but I guess Mr. Bunn is made of sterner stuff (not surprising really considering the amount of races he wins).

So, are you entering your white boat next year? I was going to enter Liberty Song this year but then got roped in to a family gathering (father-in-law's 70th birthday).

*It was only supposed to be one day, but there was a slight problem with a forklift breaking down right where the boat was supposed to go, so I had to come back today once they'd fixed it.

Indeed ... many congratulations Clive, it's a fabulous achievement! I do still think you're all just slightly mad however ! :naughty:

You did look like a well rehearsed team at Potter, and the prospect of watching Raisena negotiating that bridge attracted a lot of spectators. It was astonishing just how long it took for the tip of her mast to disppear through that hole!

Carol

I prefer being part of a team, we all maintain the boat and love sailing her, the season is a full one and the white boats generally come with us but I dont helm mine as I am not good at that bit just yet, I generally go with someone and keep up the rear!

Sailing Raisena will be done this year to win, we will have to see how we get on but the white boat is not serious for me it is an opportunity to get out on the water and enjoy it without having to worry about what position we get in a race..

Indeed ... many congratulations Clive, it's a fabulous achievement! I do still think you're all just slightly mad however ! :naughty:

You did look like a well rehearsed team at Potter, and the prospect of watching Raisena negotiating that bridge attracted a lot of spectators. It was astonishing just how long it took for the tip of her mast to disppear through that hole!

Carol

Yes Carol,

I was paddling, we had to get the end of that mast through TWO bridges at Potter, I know exactly how long it felt like, I thought my arm was going to fall off, we then had to get it all back up and sail off!!

There were lots of people filming it, I would like to see more angles, also we never timed ourselves, I think we are all quite glad we do not have to do all that in anger again and we can concentrate on sailing her now..

Here is the last bit of footage I took on the day - some of the action at Potter Heigham bridge during the afternoon. I've left the soundtrack as is, despite the wind noise, as it does capture some of the atmosphere (and panic!) of the day nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

I found out the other day that we were the 7th boat to finish and the 1st river cruiser so dispite our handicap putting us at 36th place we still won a trophy!

I thought that I would never be so silly as to do this ever again but considering the wind was in the wrong direction for us (especially up the Ant) and we got stuck on a lengthened course at Hickling we could be in with a chance if the gods were all smiling on us on the same day!