Rockland Dyke

Linny

It's Short Dyke. Was trying to find out more about it and came across quite a few posts on the official Norfolk Broads website. It seems the land has been purchased and the new owner not keen to allow mooring. There is a Parish meeting on 8 July when this will be discussed, but for now the signs stand.

Apologies Hockham Admirable did not mean to call the other website 'official Norfolk Broads website' I did in fact mean the Norfolk Broads Forum. (Sorry it's my age!). I do indeed think of this as the official Norfolk Broads website! Regards Linny.

Hello John,

Where is the location of these moorings that have been posted with the No Mooring signs.

Is it on the southern dyke that leads onto Rockland Broad or it in the dyke that leads onto the 24hour moorings at Rockland St Mary?

I do not have a map with me at the moment so I am struggling to get an exact location.

Regards

Alan

Apologies Hockham Admirable did not mean to call the other website 'official Norfolk Broads website' I did in fact mean the Norfolk Broads Forum. (Sorry it's my age!). I do indeed think of this as the official Norfolk Broads website! Regards Linny.

No need to apologise at all and sorry if you thought it necessary... this is the friendly  forum! :wave  :wave

Hello John,

Where is the location of these moorings that have been posted with the No Mooring signs.

Is it on the southern dyke that leads onto Rockland Broad or it in the dyke that leads onto the 24hour moorings at Rockland St Mary?

I do not have a map with me at the moment so I am struggling to get an exact location.

Regards

Alan

Its the southern dyke, Alan... or the first one you come to coming up-river from the Beauchamp Arms. It shows quite clearly on Google Maps and must be one of the longest moorings on the Broads!

Sorry for the muddle , I have reposted.

Posted Today, 08:13 AM

It was me who spoke to the chairman on Tuesday.    When he phones me after the meeting I will let you know what has been said.    In the meantime I intend to write to him once I get home from the being on the boat,  as there are one or two issues I would like to raise.     Somewhere , and I expect others will have them too, at home (filed   :roll: ) I have some photos from the dim and distant past of when these moorings were revamped.     Now with the best will in the world I cannot see a land owner , other than a Parish Council or County Council having there wherewithall to pay out for a very costly quay heading.      Surely unless there was an agreement to allow mooring for say 20 years afterwards and then the land owner can do as he wishes,  our right to moor there should still stand.  The Deeds will show this in the Transfer.   I understand from others that the bench at the end of the dyke has been tipped up.   Now benches to my mind generally are placed by relatives after someone has passed away.    I would like to know if this bench is a memorial bench because that is , to be polite, most unkind if someone has deliberately tipped that over.

Will keep you posted.

Mo

Sorry I should have said the gentleman I spoke to was The Chairman of the Rockland St Mary Parish Council.

Mo

• Like 2

Just received this..........

I thought that I should notify you as the local Parish Council that we, Broadland Environmental Services Limited, ( BESL ) have temporarily erected ‘No Mooring’ signs along a section of Rockland Short Dyke. A recent condition survey of the flood banks along Short Dyke has highlighted some holes behind the backs of the piling which could be hazardous to holiday makers trying to get off their boats.

We had hoped to back fill these areas as part of our planned crest raising works but due to the present of the rare snail in the dyke we have in the short term postponed this work pending more surveys. This work is now programmed for later in the year and therefore the signs have been erected to help protect the public from injury.

We are currently speaking to both the landowner and the Broads Authority to notify the wider public. Going forward we would hope to formalise a longer term plan for managing the moorings along Short Dyke to avoid this situation occurring in the future. It may be that the Parish and local businesses who may benefit from these moorings should be involved in these discussions.

We trust you understand the need for our actions and I would be happy to discuss this further with your committee.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi all, we`ve just come back from a great week on the Broads, and we DID moor in Rockland Staithe on the Saturday night. When we left and came through "Short Dyke"  being the southern most with the quay heading, it most certainly DOES have several "No Mooring" signs along it`s length. I must admit, i was rather surprised, as this has often been a popular place for those who prefer to moor in the open parts of the Broads. 

Regards to all ......................... Neil.

• 4 weeks later...

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the people who've bought the land lose then they'll probably try another way of stopping people mooring there, by charging to moor there & you can bet it won't be cheap. Sorry to sound like a doom & gloom merchant lol, it's just the way I see it. Lori :-)

From what I have been told.      This is purely a BESL matter.    They are going to restore the bank as soon as the snails have gone off for pastures new.    Then the moorings are going to be as before and maintained which is good.   All is not lost.        The land owner in this instance, turned out was not the same one as had been thought in the first place.  This land owner and the local business are quite happy for people to moor there.    

This came from BESL

I thought that I should notify you as the local Parish Council that we, Broadland Environmental Services Limited, ( BESL ) have temporarily erected ‘No Mooring’ signs along a section of Rockland Short Dyke. A recent condition survey of the flood banks along Short Dyke has highlighted some holes behind the backs of the piling which could be hazardous to holiday makers trying to get off their boats.

We had hoped to back fill these areas as part of our planned crest raising works but due to the present of the rare snail in the dyke we have in the short term postponed this work pending more surveys. This work is now programmed for later in the year and therefore the signs have been erected to help protect the public from injury.

We are currently speaking to both the landowner and the Broads Authority to notify the wider public. Going forward we would hope to formalise a longer term plan for managing the moorings along Short Dyke to avoid this situation occurring in the future. It may be that the Parish and local businesses who may benefit from these moorings should be involved in these discussions.

So hopefully before too long normal service will be resumed, as they say.

M
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would just say that today I have emailed BAMNuttalls to ascertain exactly what is happening with the Short Dyke Moorings.    I last heard from them in June and it is now almost the end of August.   I have asked what progress has been made.       I shall keep chipping away at them until we get a result.

Ever Hopeful and like a dog with a bone...... xmas2    I put Father Christmas in because it may well be by then I will receive a reply so don't hold your breath.

• Like 1