White Horse, Neatishead.

ExMemberBobdog

Noticed yesterday that the 'for sale' sign outside the White Horse has been replaced with one saying 'sold'.  Hope that this is the start of a return to better things for this once brilliant pub.  No disrespect intended to the current management, who I understand have been pretty much screwed by the brewery tie, but if we can have the pub back to anything like it was in Jill and Andy's day, with great 'slow food', well kept beers, and lots of 'boaty banter' I'll become a regular again after sailing.

Mmm, a village co-operative has taken over the village shop, and that's doing really well - staffed by volunteers - since it re-opened.  The people I spoke to in the shop the other day didn't have any idea who had bought the pub though, which makes me question the idea that it's a local syndicate, but you may have better sources than me.  While I'm on the subject, the shop needs support, so if you're in the area ... they do fresh coffee and cakes etc and have a little seating area outside.  They'll deliver to boats at Barton Turf, and I think Irstead Staithe.  If any of you are Facebook users, the shop has a page here ...

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouseStoresCommunityShop?fref=ts

I'll post any news about the pub as and when I know more.

Ah, Norfolk Nog/Howard, I've just realised.  I think you may be confusing the White Horse at Neatishead with the White Horse at Upton.  Same name, different pubs.  The Upton pub has indeed been taken over by the local community, following the retirement of old 'Winkle' who ran the place for many years.

Hi Bob

I can see where you are coming from but no, I am familiar with the White Horse at Upton, in fact I was in there a few weeks ago. Another very fine pub.

Another Forum member did very kindly pass on some information to me about the White Horse at Neatishead. I also had anecdotal accounts from other sources that some locals were planning to buy it but this latter information may have proved incorrect or the offer may have lapsed.

Any further updates would be much appreciated.

Hi Howard,

Ah, OK, sorry.

I'll certainly be keeping a weather eye out.  My own boat is moored at Barton, just round the corner from Neatishead, and I'd love the White Horse to be up and running strongly again.  

Funnily enough, I bumped into Andy, who ran the pub with Jill, until about 2004/05 I think, having a pint at the Pleasureboat at Hickling last Sunday - he was looking well.

cheers