Norfolk Airshows, anyone know the dates for these please?

Julz

We were lucky enough a couple of weekends ago to attend the Yorkshire Armed forces day in Scarbrough, and were very impressed by the displays given by the aircraft both old and modern. The Red Arrows were in attendance, and performed superbly, followed by a fly past by a Vulcan bomber, a Spitfire and an Hurricane, but the best of all was right at the end of the display, when a Lancaster Bomber flew very low over the clifftop where we were standing, so low infact you could see the pilot in his cockpit as he swooped around to give everyone another look, much to the delight and much cheering of the crowd.

This has given us a taste for seeking out other airshows, and I was wondering when the Lowestoft one was on?

Im also trying to re-schedual a recently cancelled trip to Donna Nook, which over looks the Wash, and its Military bombing training ground, with much activity if you happen to be there at the right time, and of course at a safe distance!

Julz

Hello Julia,

Have you been to the Lincolnshire Aviation Centre, if not I am sure you would enjoy the taxy run you can pre book in a Lancaster, my brother in law and father in law went a couple of years ago and made a day of it.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/lancaster-taxy-rides if the link does not work just paste it in

Regards

alan

Thanks everyone, some really useful information there, and as good as it is to look around them on the ground, the real thrill is seeing them doing what they do best, and thats Flying!

We are lucky enough to have a Vulcan Bomber on perminent display a few miles from home at the East Midlands Airport Aeropark, about 15 Aircraft of all types and sizes, set in a landscaped picnic area overlooking the runways of the EMA.

It was from here a few years ago that I was lucky enough to see Concorde Land and Take off, and on another occasion The Red Arrows landed, but that was back in the 90s. I used to get regular tip offs from my cousin who was a flight engineer at EMA when something good was due in to watch, but since his retirement, its become harder to get to know such things in time to make a visit.

Julz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi julz, i saw the vulcan at east midlands airport when it was at the other side of the airport, & ive been the museum at newark & seen one there, I actually saw one fly over our house a few weeks ago, I thought it was thunder outside at first, then I went out & saw the vulcan flying over, WOW what a beauty, & that roar goes right through your body, she's beautiful, & ive entered the raffle in vulcan to sky, prize raffle, & the 1st prize is a flight in a spitfire in formation with XH558, the 2nd prize is to fly in formation with XH558 in a blades aerobatic aircraft, gulp :lol: the 3rd prize is a harley davidson XL8831 motorcycle, the 4th is a day for 2 with the red arrows RAF display team, brill, & ive actually got my name on the inside of the vulcans bomber doors, wow , :lol: as you've probably guessed I'm a vulcan fan,sorry can't help it , she's so huge & yet so elegant & what a roar , ive also seen an old black & white film when she did a full barrel roll, WOW .:wub: Ok nuff said ,:lol::lol: lori

sent from my samsung tab2/ on tapatalk2

If you look into the history of the Vulcan they were switched from high-level to low-level attacks (due to improvements in Russian high level anti-aircraft missiles)

and it was not unknown for them to come back from training exercises with branches in their engine air in-takes.....

Many, many years ago (1975) I was going north through the Yorkshire Dales on my little 90cc Yamaha motor-bike when I heard a strange noise as I approached the top of a pass.

Seconds later I saw a Vulcan for the first time, 

It was coming UP the pass from the other side and went over me at about 100-200 feet....

What a sight!

For me it ranks alongside the time I looked out of my car in a Austrian pass to see two Golden Eagles flying alongside me and only about 12 feet away (they were actually about 500ft up, due to the sheer drop off from the road into the valley)....

Of course on both occasions there was no way I could get the camera out in time!

• Like 1

Yes, I must confess to being a fan of the vulcan myself, we were very lucky to have one do a low swoop over our caravan pitch at Cayton bay a few hours before the actual display over Scarborough took place. We clearly heard the roar of those powerful engines before we spotted her come through the early morning cloud, my guess was that she had taken off from RAF Leaming near to Catterick baracks on the A1, and was having a practice over the area before the crowds arrived. Apparently all the old planes in the display performed along the North Yorkshire coast on the same day at three differnt airshows for Armed Forces Day, starting at Whitby and finishing at Hull, before flying back to base.

There are a few spots around the Menai straights in North Wales that are also good for military plane spotting, most fly from the Anglesey Base, but a few others fly down to use the Snowdonia mountain range to practice their low level flying skills in Battle mode, deafening when they echo through the valley, but exiting to watch all the same

Julz

To anyone who is into the vulcan , there is an app on itunes & playstore , it's a great app, oh & ive just heard from vulcan on fbook that the flyover at cleethorpes will now be on sunday & not saturday, as they are short of pilots, lori :-)

Hi

If your on the Broads, don't forget Norwich Airport Aviation Museum has quite a few static aircraft including a Vulcan plus other items on display, well worth a visit to those into aircraft.

Photo shows my favourite a Lightning :love  ...post-15429-0-19868300-1374918055_thumb.j and an unusual shoot of the Vulcan...post-15429-0-86808500-1374918165_thumb.j

• Like 1

Did you help crew them then John?

I bet most of her original aircrews are now retired, hence the difficulty getting enough experianced pilots and crew together to fly the Vulcans at Displays.

Just before l retired l nursed a old pilot who had crewed a Vulcan on the Falklands campaign, he lived near to the East Midlands airport, where his career had ended flying planes for a commercial airline, he was suffering from Dementia, and it was hard work keeping him confined within his large bungalow which had several concealed exits, at every oputunity he tried to give me the slip and head off down to the runway!

The lads down at the local pub loved him, if he did escape, he would head down there and bribe them with large rounds of drinks to give him a lift 'to work', which of course ended up with them delivering him back to his own front door!

Julz

• Like 2

I was an Air Electronics Officer (AEO) on Vulcan Mk1's, Julz.

Sorry the pic is so blurred but it was taken 50 years ago and didn't have many pixels!

After a couple of years I restrained as a pilot... the rest is history as they say!

Lovely story about the retired guy... we were all a bit mad!

• Like 2