bilge

Guest Jonny

just a quickie thats puzzled me

if i drain all tanks onboard apart from the diesel how does water get into the bilge without the engine running?

it could be leaking at the rudder stock or the stern gland where the prop shaft exits the boat jonny

they should both have grease glands that may need filling or screwing down a bit

or they may need to be repacked

jill

Jonny, I think the answer to that is easy and nothing to be worried about. I assume you are referring to your Calypso. Any water that gets into the engine compartment will drain though the little hole in the bulkhead into the main bilge under the cabin. The drain holes out back, especially the little ones under the engine cover will not adequately drain the rear well area, as they block easily and it manages to find its way in.

Hi Gordon

this little question was nothing that is happening i just wanted to simply ask where would the most likely places to be where water could come from to get into the bilge.

especially the little ones under the engine cover will not adequately drain the rear well area, as they block easily and it manages to find its way in.

yes i know what you mean but nothing you can realy do about that.

Any water that gets into the engine compartment will drain though the little hole in the bulkhead into the main bilge under the cabin.

now i dint know about that i just assumed water come accumulates like normal ill have to check about the drain holes.

thanks for you help

Jonny

Hi Jonny.

Glad to hear that you have no real problems in that area mate. Those deck drains on the Calypso really are a pain in the stern. I am for ever onblocking them. I really need to get ihem and take the plumbing apart and give them a thorough clean out. I did have even more problems with the engine hatch being cracked and water getting into the cover, this slowly drained into the engine, filled up the blocked off area under the engine . I have now repaired that I suspect this was the cause of the recent demise of the starter motor which was seriously rusty around the brush area. Re the little hole between the engine compartment and the main bilge, this lives just to the side of the hole left when the steps are removed to the left

regards Gordon

Hi Gordon

ower Calypso has neva been in hire always in private hands

so i don't know if the drain holes were an afterfort from the hireyards

regards to the the drain hole on deck and stern all we do if blocked is just swill down the with hose if anything is blocked it soon wont be.

Jonny You seem to have more luck unbunging those drain holes with a hose than I do. often it works but many a soaking I have had when I have poked the pipe down one and the pressure has built up. :cry We have no shortage of drain holes, from memory 2 in the rim round the engine cover, 2 on the rear well some more on the sides at the back drains in battery and gas box a couple in the front well all together with a wierd and wonderful network of plumbing joining them up. Are you saying that there is no means of getting the bilge pump to protect that rear compartment on yours.

Unlike yours ours did have 30 years of abuse in the hire fleets before it retired at the end of the 2005 season. Its condition is a credit to the designers, builders and yards that have maintained it over the years :bow

Are you saying that there is no means of getting the bilge pump to protect that rear compartment on yours.

Hi Gordon thats why i thought i would put up a post and see what things iam not aware of in the bilge section on the boat.

have to check on the drain holes from the engine bay to the bilge but we have a backup wich is another bilge pump with a long hose with two long water proof wires on the end with crocodile clips.

and seams to work qwite well and cheap too

o yes the drain hole on deck yes there everywhere but you need them realy

rgs. Cool Geezer :-D