Trambos Symphony afloat

trambo

Well, It's all over for another year. Back to work and looking forward to Christmas. 

Anyway happy memories of another Broadland break, so please don't yawn and I'll start the tale.

Day one. Friday 12th July.

Up 05:00. Which is my normal time anyway. Breakfast: Duck egg, glass of beetroot juice, strong freshly ground black coffee and a blood pressure tablet. Shower, shave, apply the moisturiser. Again nowt unusual. Then it's all change. Gas and water turned off. Last check of windows and doors. Into the already loaded car and we are off on holiday.Yippee! (I would point out at this time that between getting showered and getting in the car I did put some clothes on.) Decided to take the more scenic route from Runcorn via Stockport over the Pennines and then Newark, West Lynne and the A47. Stopped at the Newark Little Chef for brunch. How tired these rest areas look these days. Like being in a 70s time warp, the illusion completed by the lady waitress who has worked there for years. 2013 prices though but who cares, its holiday time! Next stop Waitrose at Eaton just off the A47 to  get the supplies and then just a few more miles and we are at Brundall. Into Silverline and Colin gives us a wave, we backed up to Silver Symphony and unpack. Well, to be honest Derek unpacks while I'm in the office with Colin whilst he reminisces for 3/4 hour about his time at Jenners, Herbert Woods etc, not that I encouraged him of course! No longer that young, Silver Symphony is an Aquafibre Opel 28  which was built for Harbour Cruisers bought by Swancraft before entering into the fleet of Silverline. Completely refitted in their style she differs considerably from the standard fit out of the Opel 28 especially in the galley and cabin areas and was  beautifully presented  both inside and out. So after the handover procedure and the aircraft style demonstration of how to put a life jacket on properly (I'll film it one day) we are off! Blue sky above and bound for Cantley. Always quiet at Cantley, no problem mooring........unless...... there is a regatta on! We squeezed in and relaxed at The Reedcutters and enjoyed an evening meal there as well. Anyway about 1000 and after all that travelling we were knackered so it was off to slumberland and a looking forward to Saturdays excursions.

Review.The Reedcutters

Beer- very good

Cider-good

Pub Food- ok

Atmosphere- very good

post-71-0-92949000-1375223329_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Next time you make that journey, try stopping at the Friendly Farmer just outside Newark (turn off the A1 to the A17, and turn in to the FF immediately you come off the big roundabout).  Good food, plenty of big airy space to eat it, and great coffee, all at reasonable prices.  Did the Norfolk/Leeds journey about once a week for 6 months or so before I retired, stopping at the FF (about half way) every time - never disappointed.

Keep it coming Fred! I notice there was no review of the A17, I hate that road!!

Glad to see you thought the food at the Reedcutters acceptable. I haven't stopped there for a couple of years after a previous visit when it was far from it, but will add it back to the list of possibilities again.

Day 2 Saturday 13 July 2013.

Woke up to sunshine and that lovely water reflection effect you get on the roof of the boat. Chef was dispatched to the galley to prepare a full English while I lazily lay, mesmerised by those reflections. Peace was shattered by the roar of the coffee grinder signalling me to get my butt out of bed. Now of all the items on a boat that a 240volt supply has transformed, the coffee grinder I take from home is the tops! Breakfast complete I took over galley duties. What a lot of dishes a full English creates!

Now the reason for us stopping over at Cantley was to get the train to Norwich as Derek wanted to visit Will Giles garden in Norwich, which is only open on a Saturday afternoon. Now It would have helped if I had got the train times but didn't so off we trolled to the rather well kept station only to find they only run every two hours! What shall we do? Only one thing for it.........The Reedcutters, which is so close to the station it was almost like walking into a station buffet! Suitably lubricated we caught the train and took the short walk along Thorpe Road to Will's garden. Now for anyone remotely interested in gardening Will Giles Exotic garden is stunning. As a non gardner I was fascinated and Derek, who is the Gardner, overwhelmed. Especially as Will is one of his heroes.  Now I don't know if you can remember the Paris John Sergeant / Margaret Thatcher handbag incident but I know how he felt as Will went off down the path explaining some planting skill to Derek, while he gleefully followed in great excitement and in his haste, pushing me almost into one of the plant beds! Anyway had a great time.

So back to the boat. As we neared Cantley we could see the regatta underway on the river. It looked very impressive from the train. Then I thought, as we intended to get underway straight away, would I be surrounded by a swarm of sallies? That impressive sight looked now a little more intimidating. Anyway as it happened the race was over and the yachts returning to their moorings. As we prepared to leave our neighbours exclaimed "Oh we are so glad you're going, that mooring is worth gold!" As we passed the pub I took a glance astern, and two yachts were already manoeuvring into the vacant spot.

The decision now was wether to stop at the Berney Arms or carry on to Great Yarmouth and have a night out there. The Berney won and we took supper at the pub. When walking back, by which time the tide was coming in full flow, an Alpha Concord style boat attempted, with what appeared to be a solo crew, to moor with the tide. Needless to say he did not end up where he thought he would but CRUNCH into a moored aft cockpit Princess. After bumping along the side he got the bow against the quay and I managed to get on board to help him tie up. He went to apologise to the owners of the boat he had hit and I carried on to Symphony when Derek said look. I turned around and a lady had appeared on the deck of the Alpha with a small dog. She then took the dog for a walk, past the Princess and her hubby without as much as a glance and is if nothing had happened! Anyway down went the sun and we soon retired again a little early. I spoke to the owners of the Princess the next morning and they thought the accident whilst upsetting things on board had not caused any damage to the boat itself.

Reviews

Will Giles Exotic Garden. A must see  http://www.exoticgarden.com post-71-0-06061500-1375385908_thumb.jpgpost-71-0-97956400-1375386106_thumb.jpg

Berney Arms.

Location superb

Beer. poor

Cider. good

food. ok

atmosphere poor 

• Like 2

Day 3. Sunday 14 July 2013.

Had a peaceful night, moored near to the wind pump. Love this spot and the way the sound of the water against the hull changes it's music depending on the state of the tide. As usual when crossing to the North we planned to stop over at the yacht station for a couple of hours. I prefer to pay the £5 day fee and get the full flow up the Bure. As we were about to leave a flotilla of sea going cruisers began passing us and we joined their procession in a gap before more arrived that I could see coming down the Yare.  We all followed in a line  at just normal river speed until just before Breydon Bridge where they stopped, I take it to let the boats behind catch up and then whole fleet to go through as one. By this time boats had started to to head from the Bure and up through Breydon bridge to be confronted with a dozen or so sea gong boats stopped in the channel, the crew of Fair Freedom looked aghast at the sight! Would have loved to have seen them all pass through but Breydon is not the place to potter around so we shot the bridge and turned into the Bure to the Yacht Station. Gent came retied all the ropes as they always do and after paying started Breakfast. Conversation went sort of (Derek had paid)"Suppose it was £5?" "No, it was only £3" Derek replied."It's £5 for a day ticket but only £3 if you don't leave the compound" So no trip to Asda! Now before anyone tries to get a £3 ticket don't! More will be explained in a later instalment! Anyway. I went to fill up with water (that hose is heavy but goes a long long way) and Derek went for a shower at the yacht station. Reckon we left Gt Yarmouth around 1030. The weather by now was perfect. Sunny, warm but a breeze. This somehow made the old Port of Yarmouth Marina look more sad than ever. Remember its heyday when the small boat agency Broads Holidays' was based there and how sad the way it declined and destroyed peoples visions on the way.

The marina in about 1974post-71-0-10213400-1375602879_thumb.jpg

So on up the Bure with the usual discussion at the Stracey Arms,"Shall we stop?" After the deliberation we, as always, don't and continue on to Stokesby. Oh how I love Stokesby. Seems to have developed in a much more gently than  many other Broadland villages. Moored right outside The Ferry. Sign "Mooring £5. No all male boats without arrangement". So we went in, checked and no problem and no mooring fee if using the pub. Had light lunch and a couple of pints, onto boat and chilled. Heaven.

Now I have an obsession never to go against he tide and I suddenly realised if we did not move soon then we might be.  So rather reluctantly we departed and headed for Upton. I have often moored at the end of the dyke and there is still a mooring there, although the  mooring actually on the river now has a"no mooring" sign and is probably reserved for fisherfolk. This time we intended to go down the dyke to the staithe. Making sure no one was coming up the dyke we proceeded at tick over speed. No problems at all and if a boat had come up there was the odd non occupied mooring that could be used as a passing point. Turned Symphony by hand and we were just in the company of one other small boat and an angler and his wife. The peace was shattered when I saw a  Barnes Brinkcraft boat coming down the dyke and yes, a large all male party. The angler gave me a look which said exactly what I was thinking as we expected a lot of thrashing, expletives  and noise as they attempted to turn. Not for the first time the stereotype was proved wrong as they stern moored at Eastwood Whelptons without any fuss and the only other time we heard them was when the canopy went up! It really is a shame that just a few inconsiderate groups give large parties a bad name. So it was off to the White Horse for a drink and an evening meal. It's a pleasant stroll from the staithe, although the village seemed much bigger than I remembered it. On arrival at the White Horse it all seemed very quiet. The boys from the Barnes boat where in the beer garden at the rear and there was a group of local youngsters on the trestles out the front. One person inside, who left as we went in, not promising. Anyway, the beer looked interesting and there was even some strange ciders for Derek. "Can I see your menu" asked Derek. "Sorry, we have stopped serving food" was the reply. Oh eke I thought! Anyway The beer was good (no comment on the cider) and we  had a bit of banter with the young locals. The lads from the boat left and one of the locals said to us "they are so gay." Now my gaydar had already worked this out but I thought it best to just agree, I just wonder what they said about us as we trolled back after another pint. On retuning to the boat the lads had gone and a Faircraft arrived but this also left after half an hour leaving just us and a couple of freindly angling blokes on a small private boat. We prepared an impromptu evening meal and settled down to a beautiful evening. Upton really is a lovely spot to moor.If the staithe is full then the characterful and neat boatyard should have some. It was a pity the White Horse had stopped serving food but that was our fault not checking and Upton is now on my preferred mooring list.

Upton Staithe. Quite idyllic post-71-0-73156500-1375609339_thumb.jpg

Reviews

Ferry Inn Stokesby

Location. Superb.

Beer. Good (not a huge selection but served well)

Cider. good

Pub Food. Excellent

Atmosphere. Good

White Horse Upton

Location. On a village road but not unpleasant.

Beer. Very good

Cider. One dreadful and one good

Food. Oh. I wish I knew!

Atmosphere. Quiet when we went.

• Like 2

Day 4. Monday 15 July 2013.

Always find it difficult to change sleeping habits on holiday. Usually up at 05:00 but today managed to sleep in till 06:30! Cook was dispatched to do what cooks do and I waited for the result listening to 'Today' on the radio. Lazy sod eh?

Breakfast over I did my washing duties and checked low water times at Potter Heigham as plan 'A' was to end the day at Horsey. Low water was 11:50 so we left to arrive 10:30/11:00 at the Phoenix Fleet boatyard to pick up the pilot.  The weather which had been a little murky was beginning to clear and we enjoyed a pleasant cruise up to Potter Heigham even though I kept on thinking, "We are going against the tide. Grrrr" my pet hate. Anyway we arrived at the shambles that is Potter Heigham. Reminds me of Blackpool. It's so kitsch its great!  Know I'm sure everybody has the same thought as they arrive at the pilots quay, "Will we get under." Well, we got under easily and we headed for Hickling. I think the upper Thurne is the most beautiful of all the Broadland rivers. Wild but without the brutality and starkness of the lower reaches of the Bure Yare and Waveney. We had three day boats travelling at a sedate pace in front of us all the way until one forked right to Horsey and the one immediately in front signalled if we wanted to overtake but we declined, after all what was the rush. Now arriving at the Pleasure Boat staithe it was full although there was a mooring occupied by two chairs and a set of fishing rods but no anglers anglers to be seen! This resulted in us taking a chance that there would be a space at Whispering Reeds boatyard. There was and we checked with the office that it was ok to stop over which it was as long as we left 17:00 as they had a boat due back in. It was strange mooring at Whispering Reeds as we had hired another opal 28, Hawaiian Goose the year before they ceased hiring out cruisers. The yard itself looked just as it had, complete with Hoseasons signs as if nothing had altered. Asking about Hawaiian Goose we where told it had been sold to a lady in South Walsham and I am sure I saw it moored at Belaugh later in the week. So we strolled round to the Pleasure Boat and had an excellent light lunch and a few bevies in their beer garden. Sods law, there were now plenty of moorings on the staithe and no sign of my angler who had packed up and gone. We had hand turned and moored stern on at the boatyard to facilitate leaving as it's always just a little more difficult even after only two pints! So we left and crawled up the very narrow boatyard dyke and passed the houseboats and onto the Broad. If I was going to hire a houseboat it would have to be one of these, the view must be fantastic. On to Horsey and moored, again hand turning ready for leaving. As we came in the trip boat passed us which always pleases me when I see her as I went with mum & dad on her when she was Little Ships Tudor Rose. post-71-0-61608900-1375825644_thumb.jpg Looks very different today but the aft cabin still remains.

Two ice creams from the kiosk and we are off to the beach. Love the way you get to the gap and suddenly the roar of the North Sea hits you. post-71-0-99527500-1375825877_thumb.jpgThe seals where out in force and showing off but as if on purpose every time I went to get a shot they went down and just peeped their heads out the water. One even seemed to want bark to us. On the way back we noted many wild flowers including Ragged Robin post-71-0-03793000-1375825704_thumb.jpg and a wild orchid. post-71-0-51723200-1375825774_thumb.jpg Stopped at the Nelsons Head for our evening meal which was very good and got into a conversation with the locals on a range of subjects from how to make a proper Caesar salad and the Broadland legend Susan Ellis. Anyway I think we may have had just a touch too much beer as we wobbled slightly as we stroled back to the boat. The beer and that sea air took its toll and yet agin we retired about 22:00 after a busy but enjoyable day.

Reviews

Pleasure Boat Hickling

Location. Excellant

Beer. Excellent 

Cider. good

Food. good

Atmosphere. good

Nelsons Head.

Location.good

Beer. Excellant

Cider. Good

Food. Good

Atmosphere . Good

• Like 3

I just love your story Fred, and im taking note on your Pub recomendations, as we only have a couple of days to go now until we are Norfolk bound ourselves, and looking forwardto our months tour, starting on the North coast and working our way down to Ludham for a fortnights stay, then down south to visit family for a few days before our return.

Im looking forward to the rest of your tale, we are considering cruising above Potter Heigham bridge on a dayboat whilst we are down, weather and bridge clearance permitting, l much prefare the quieter areas to cruise in during the height of the season, although one of my favourite spots to sit and watch the waterway is at Ludham Bridge, plenty of boats to spot, some nice crews to meet, and a few wallies too, its always fun and games at the bridge!

Julz

• Like 1

Once upon a time before we started Caravaning again, l used to be a regular resident of Wroxham bridge when staying in the Faircraft appartments, watching the fun and games with the comfort of my own facilities for hot brews, cold drinks, and a snack from the kitchen whenever the fancy takes us!

Some very skilled helmsmanship when Conersuire cruisers had their yard upstream and the only way to get them through at high states of the tide was to flood the bilges to lower them in the water. They used a big green tug boat with a powerful pump to do this, took them through, then left the boats bilge pump to sort out the extra water for itself. We have seen a couple of nasty accidents as well, althogh since the new footbridge has been installed and the chains dangle down as a warning gauge, these have been less frequent.

Julz

• Like 2

My favourite bridge to people watch is the Wroxham Bridge sat outside the Hotel Wroxham a beer in hand and waiting for the fun.

sounds just right alan

I think I will pop down and have a quicky, should be there in 10 mins ice slice

• Like 1

Day 5. Tuesday 16 July 2013.

Wow. We woke up to a glorious morning, warm cloudless and still, perfection. Horsey is a lovely spot and so peaceful. Now wouldn't it be nice to have breakfast out on the Mere? So at about 0800, when we thought most people would at least be awake we started up and as quietly as possible left the dyke moorings and out onto the Mere. Pure heaven. It was so tranquil that we decided there was not going to be any clattering of pans for the full English and we settled for a duck egg with toast and marmalade.

post-71-0-56401000-1375999913_thumb.jpg    Horsey Mere

While out there I noticed the two markers you used to line up to find the Waxham cut had gone. Is the cut still navigable and if so are there any casual moorings at the end anymore? Remember the last time I went up (years ago) the water was a brownish colour and reminded me of the Trent & Mersey at Harcastle. Anyone remember E.W. Johnson's small boatyard at the end of the cut?

All good things come to an end and as we wanted to pass through the bridge at Potter about 11:00, we reluctantly upped mud weight and set off.
Got to the bridge a bit later than wanted but no problem getting through, unlike the last time on Symphony, a few years back, when on a very stormy day the pilot was hit by a sudden squall  as we were just exiting, resulting in us scraping the bridge. Now besides the bang as the canopy involuntarily was thrust back the one thing that sticks out in my memory is the big"ooohhh"we got from above the bridge. Fortunately  there was only some minor damage to the handrail and a small chunk out at the rear of the canopy where it had hit the stop.
Now you can't stop at Potter Heigham and not visit Lathams, the shop that makes Poundsaver look like John Lewis. Derek made a beeline for the gardening section and I amused myself looking at the tack and almost buying a few times. In fact I did. I bought the anti-misting cream for windows that Robin recommended on one of his YouTube films. So if you reading Robin I hope you are on commission! 
So with the rear deck now decorated with Derek's garden plant buys we took the chance that there would be a mooring and left to have a late lunch at Ludham. We used to moor at the boatyard but these moorings are occupied by private craft since the demise of DRL and this has put extra strain on the village moorings. Two boats in front turned and left. It was not looking good. Opals are slightly narrower than their Alpha mould sisters and this came to our rescue. There was just a gap between two boats. To make sure I shouted to Derek to up fenders and started to manoeuvre into position to reverse. Looking back Derek had not moved from his stern position. "Are you putting the fenders up?" I shouted. "I am." came the reply. I won't repeat the words that went through my head when I saw him struggling to raise the two large stern fenders onto the deck! "Just put them down" I said and by now I was reversing in. Now sometimes. Just sometimes, everything goes spot on and this time it did. I felt like the captain of the Queen Mary 2 as my neighbours congratulated me on my manoeuvre. I of course modestly blushed and said it was luck!

So into the village. Ludham is one of my favourites. Good butchers and one of the best small village stores anywhere. Provisions bought it was off to the Kings Arms for lunch which was more liquid than solid! After two (or was it three) pints we made our way back. Shall we try one of those casual moorings for the night or stay and have a meal at the Kings Arms we pondered? The wild mooring won. So after topping up with water we departed. Not a good decision as it turned out as they were all occupied. Ok, down to Thurne. How about Fleet Dyke I suggested? Ok said Derek. Again, not a good decision. Full. Looks like we are anchoring on the Broad. Fine was the reply. So we dropped mud weight and settled down for a boat cooked feast. How hungry we were  with nowt since breakfast other than a packet of crisps! I don't remember the main course but the desert I do. Roly Poly and custard, just the thing in a heatwave, fabulosa! After a further high cholesterol helping, this time of cheese we watched the sun go down on a fragmented but rather fun day and like the sun we retired for another day.

Spotted this ex Loynes beauty Loch Connan  at Thurne on the way to South Walsham post-71-0-59080700-1376000371_thumb.jpg

Fred

Reviews

Kings Arms Ludham.

Location. Good
Beer. Excellent
Cider. Excellent
Food. Crisps are very upmarket!
Atmosphere.Good.
  • Like 2

Hello Fred,

What a great story, I think I would have stayed at Womack Staithe for the night. Such a good spot to moor and as you say the village and pub are well worth the short walk up the lane. 

Quite a few years ago at the staithe there was poster for tortoise racing at the local village fete at the old rectory. There was the usual stalls and I managed to buy some old tools, but not a tortoise to be seen.  :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Day 6  Wednesday17 July 2013

Woke to a rather murky start. Low cloud and still. As so often happens when mud weighted we had turned in the night so we had a view now towards the Inner Broad, and a couple of Hunters yachts, always a nice sight.  Rico's one and only private 'Broadsman" was moored at one of the houses that border the Broad and the crew seemed to be getting her ready to leave. Not sure if I like a dark blue hull on a boat so big or thats what I told myself to curb the pangs of envy!

So breakfast done we upped mud weight, purposely keeping it just below water level to clean, it was slow speed ahead. "Thats it" I shouted as the last of the black gunge cleared the weight. Hauled it up and  down into position. Now I expected a clunk but instead got a muffled squelch. The bottom of the weight had a thick layer of the black stuff, now sandwiched to the deck!  Let it dry out I thought from previous experience and off we set. The sun was now breaking through and with no urgency we made our way upstream. As usual Horning was crowded. I always say no matter what the plan is, if there is a mooring at the village we will stop, mooring here being so scarce. In ten years I have not stopped and today was no exception! Leaving Horning it was so pleasant we felt no need to increase speed so we just toddled on at 4mph. It was surprising how few craft overtook us and we arrived at Wroxham truly chilled.

As  Coltishall was the destination we made a beeline for the pilot, giving our customary wave to the Brinks web-cam. I'm always tempted and wonder if anyone has ever"mooned" to the camera? Anyway, the sight of a sixty + year old man doing such a thing would surely result in arrest as well as a lot of viewers spilling their coffee! Two Rico's Horizons occupied the pilot moorings so we kept well back until a space came free and then just hand held Symphony until it was our turn. Asked Derek if he had the dosh for the pilot but the pilot reminded us that Silverline boats went through free. Through the railway bridge and how the river changes. Intimate, shallow and pastoral.

post-71-0-96922000-1376214235_thumb.jpg

The Heavenly scene was about to be broken though! I glanced down at my ankle and despite precaution two mozzies were at it. Now I know you should not remove them but I did and they drew blood. By the time we had moored at the common I counted twelve bites, all on one leg!

post-71-0-52090300-1376214475_thumb.jpg

Anyway irritating  but nowt else and I put cream on each bite. So off to the Rising Sun for lunch. "You're not going in shorts" exclaimed Derek. "Why not" I replied? Well, it seemed  my leg looked like a cat with the mange so after a somewhat heated discussion I gave in and put jeans on. So a pleasant lunch was had in the Rising Sun although I always find its decor a little contrived and we returned for a pleasant afternoon doing absolutely nowt!

post-71-0-74289000-1376214571_thumb.jpg

That evening we planned to go into the village and have a meal. So for the first time this holiday, smart casual was the order of the day. Now on the boat I go barefoot and the problem came when I tried to put a shoe on my bitten foot. It had swollen up I would say two shoe sizes! "Try smart deck shoes" said Derek. Same again! Well, it's not quite the thing to walk into a restaurant bare footed so for not the first time we settled down to an impromptu evening meal afloat and retired for the evening, dreaming of squadrons of mosquitoes  chomping away at my poor foot!

Review.

Rising Sun.

Location. superb

Beer. ok

Cider. ok

Pub food. ok

Atmosphere. friendly but decor, you could have been in Manchester, Nottingham......

• Like 2

Hi Fred,

A good report as always.

We have only been under Wroxham Bridge once, we hired one of those larger day boats that seat 8, good boat, toilet, galley and handled well. We hired for 3 hours if you wanted to stop at Coltishall it would be better hiring for at least 4 hours.

Sorry to hear about the insect bites, I take vitamin B daily through the season, it seems to work and I do not eat or like Marmite. Of course you can buy all the sprays but I take delight that they is some poor insect with a nasty taste in it mouth!

Regards

Alan

Day 7. Thursday 18 July 2013.

Awoke to a grey, misty and muggy start. Leg itching but not as swollen. Oh ek. Don't Scratch. Don't scratch. I kept telling myself as I applied lashings of aloe vera gel mixed with lavender oil. Stopped the itching and I smelt like a Viennese sauna!

After a light breakfast (far too muggy for the full English), the sun began too break through and we set off. Not before I might add I took mozi precautions, to every exposed part of my body. Rub on stick I had used in Turkey and more aloe vera, this time mixed with citronella oil. Wow I stank! However if it kept the little blitters  away. So be it!

The river to Wroxham is a delight post-71-0-76462200-1376425521_thumb.jpg and although we had intended to stop at Wroxham and get a  train to Sheringham a combination of the heat and not wanting to aggravate my swollen foot we decided to take the day as it came. So we just potted down stream, into Bridge Broad and picked the pilot up at Porter & Hayletts. Needed pump out so he took us into NB Direct and moored us up. Now although I'm not a fan of using the bigger yards to hire from. NB Direct is a model of efficiency and also very friendly and obliging. Pump out complete it was over to Roys for some provisions and a look at the department store. Derek then made a line for their garden centre while I returned to the boat and popped to the laundrette to freshen up some smalls! 

Derek came back with yet more plants for his collection which now began to fill the forward cockpit as well as the stern deck and we decided to give the Bridge Restaurant a try for lunch. Slightly old fashioned it was nevertheless pleasant with nice river views. Oh how slow the service was however but after 55 minutes from placing our order we eventually got our meals which I have to say were excellent. With some trepidation we ordered sweet, wondering if by the time we got them it would be time for tea!

Bridge Restaurant Wroxham post-71-0-34097800-1376425227_thumb.jpg

Derek ponders on his lunch post-71-0-00034600-1376425295_thumb.jpg Oh cheer up!

Your lunch sir. post-71-0-39098900-1376426215_thumb.jpg Thats better!

So it was off again down the Bure, diversion acoss Wroxham Broad and onto Salhouse where we like to anchor at the Wroxham end but close to the river. A lovely spot just in the company of one other boat and the abundant wildlife. So chilled again we had our evening meal and spent the rest of the evening chatting to our neighbour and enjoying the peace and tranquility of the place. Just perfect.

Salhouse post-71-0-78427000-1376425402_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Fred,

I hope your foot and legs get better, if you have not already taken anti histamine I would do so if your foot is swelling up.

You missed a fry up, don't you know bacon is a food group, well my son says it is, by the way he is the one that loves Marmite!!

Keep up the good work with your reports.

Regards

Alan