Trambos Symphony afloat

trambo

Now look I know we have been doing a lot if where was this photo taken etc but the photo above under "the river to Wroxham is lovely" is a long way from Wroxham unless I am mistaken!

Au contraire. Belaugh but it is on the river to Wroxham!  :dance

Day8. Friday 19 July 2013.

A little murky on waking again but sun soon burnt through the low cloud. Salhouse was at its best and we could have stayed a lot longer but we planned on stopping at Ranworth for lunch. Now due to the popularity of Ranworth, if going for lunch, I always try to get there between 1000 and 1030. Crews have had their breakfasts and are setting off. Anyway the theory was spot on this time. Three cruisers came down the dyke as we headed in and there was one boat in front of us , so we had a choice of berths. post-71-0-14399600-1376680179_thumb.jpg The choice would have been bigger but for a day boat on the main moorings while the day boat / dinghy dyke was empty. I thought it was a bit mean as she was a private craft and the owner should have known better. Anyway, probably me just being pedantic. Moored also was Richardsons Broadlander.She really is an impressive craft and looked magnificent. post-71-0-83891600-1376679971_thumb.jpg

Decided to have lunch inside The Malsters as it really was too hot to enjoy a meal outside. The place has had makeover and really looked good and a big improvement over the rather disjointed former decor. Must have been the combination of the drink and heat as we both ended up having a snooze on return to the boat.

Now the plan said, anchor on South Walsham for the night, as we intended to visit Fairhaven garden the next day. However as we had anchored here earlier in the week St.Benets moorings or Fleet dyke was chosen as an alternative. On approaching St.Benets the end mooring opposite Fleet dyke was free and too inviting to resist. post-71-0-33863200-1376680495_thumb.jpg post-71-0-45504500-1376681361_thumb.jpg

Suddenly the peace was broken as a large Woods boat passed music blaring and a sudden realisation on my part of the equation: Friday X 1630 X weekend = big boat,rowdy parties,Hell! Now we seemed to be at the epicentre as boats from Barnes headed downstream and boats from Woods headed upstream with a sprinkling of Riccos that had made it down the Ant, added to the convoys. Now our quiet idyllic mooring was under big threat! We had space behind for at least two 40 footers. As each juggernaut approached I had a little prayer..."carry on....please carry on!" Similarly as a smaller boat approached I said to myself,"Please stop. Please stop." Well, no one wanted to stop at all! At least not until dusk when a small cruiser moored up and a little later a yacht came in immediately behind us. Phew!!! At this point I must point out that I have nothing against large same sex boat parties (that sounds a bit naughty but you know what I mean) and my preconceptions have been proved wrong on so many occasions but oh, I was glad the peace and my nerves were restored and we settled down for the night, looking forward to another sunny day tomorrow.

Review,

The Malsters Ranworth.

Location. Superb

Beer. Excellent

Cider. Good

Pub Food. Good

Atmosphere. Good

• Like 1

Day 9. Saturday 20 July 2013

Woke to..... yuck, fog. Not the nice romantic mist you get on the river and love. No, the dark soaking wet kind. You could see the droplets in the air slowly moving horizontally up the river. Everything was saturated outside. Thought I would try the windscreen wiper out as no proper rain was forecast for days. It worked superb, as I expect from anything on a Silverline boat to do but are you like me and hear the wiper talking to you as it sweeps?  Something like pieces of eight, pieces of eight or cracking good biscuit, cracking good biscuit. Now if your boat wiper does not talk to you then you probably about to send for the man in a white coat but if it does you know what I mean! Anyway I was shocked as the wiper said," Work woman now. Work woman now." Never had a sexist windscreen wiper before!

So breakfast was had and we consoled ourselves that the sun would burn through at any time. Hmm. Ten o'clock arrived and although the fog had risen, it would not nice to for strolling around Fairhaven so we set off for Acle instead.

The murky weather didn't stop these two beauties shining through.post-71-0-52396500-1376825850_thumb.jpg  post-71-0-83442800-1376825887_thumb.jpg

Only person at The Bridge and the mist had come down again so our mood was a little down. "Oh lets go on to Stokesby for lunch and then Great Yarmouth for the night." I said. After all if you're feeling low, what better place than Great Yarmouth to absolutely wallow in it! So we arrived at Stokesby at the public mooring and although no blue sky the clouds had lifted and it was much brighter and so to our spirits. Couple of pints and lunch at the Ferry and our equilibrium was restored. Lovely mooring so we decided to stay the night. We had a nice couple neighbouring on an Alpha 35 'Northern Lass' who I think are on one of the forums. Our friend in Runcorn rang and said the sun had been scorching all week and temperatures every day in the 30s. Derek a keen gardener was worried about his weeds, sorry specimens and Alan said he would go down with a ladder, get over the fence and use the outside tap to water the garden. Great until he rang to say the pressure was very low and I remembered I had turned the water off at the main! Anyway, all was not lost and Alan watered the pots using pond water. Anyone into gardening Derek has a gardening Facebook page at  https://www.facebook.com/gaygardenercheshire

So evening set in after a very lazy day, even by our standards and it was back to The Ferry for the evening meal. Now when I judge food I base it on the type of establishment. I do not expect a pub or pub restaurant to be to the same standard or quality as  a stand alone restaurant. The meal at the Ferry however would have done any restaurant proud. It was outstanding, full marks to the chef that night. Whilst there a family came in, nowt special I thought except the lady was wearing the brightest top I have ever seen, a really bright vermillion. Derek piped up "Thats Mel thingy err, Mel Giedroyc".  "Who"? I said, thinking only Mel I know is a Spice Girl. "You know Sue Perkins mate on the Great British Bake Off and the Philly advert". Now if had been Paul Hollywood I may have got excited but Derek was made up and immediately went onto Facebook!  After a couple of pints it was back to the boat and ZZZZZs after a very,very, lazy day.

Review (2nd)

Ferry Inn Stokesby

Location.       Superb

Beer.             Good

Cider.            Good

Food.            Outstanding

Atmosphere. Good

Celebrities.    Division 2

• Like 1

:wave  hi trambo, really great blog, & lovely piccies too, love that piccie of broadlander, it almost looks like a limo lol, but my favourite's got to be the old wooden broads boats, it's nice to see them still around, & nice to see that people take pride in them,  lori  :Stinky

• Like 1

Day10 Sunday 21 July 2013

After a peaceful night awoke, looked for the water reflections on the roof. None. Peeked out the curtains, dull and miserable, again! Oh well, back under duvet while chef was dispatched for his duties.

Full English consumed and the resulting mess washed and cleared it was all hands to a morning of........doing nothing. As we were crossing to the South we would either be heading down from Stokesby after lunch or leaving as soon as tide turned and have lunch at Stacey. With the thought of that exceptional meal last night we chose to stay. So the morning was spent playing pinball on the iPad,  bit of shopping at the store while Derek started another book.  These boating holidays are all go! Meanwhile, the sky stayed dark grey.

After all these exertions it was time for lunch and so off for the third time to the Ferry. It really is a pleasant pub. Modernised but not too much and very nice staff. A large same sex boat arrived and was duly dispatched by the manageress. Now I must admit I had mixed thought about her policy when I first saw the notices but it does keep the frontage quieter for everyone else and the large boats can still moor at the other moorings. So another pleasant lunch at the Ferry over we returned to Symphony. Northern Lass, which was also crossing today had left on our return but we stayed another hour, when I realised we had been at the 24 hour mooring over the 24 hours and thought it best to get going downstream.

Journey down the Bure to Great Yarmouth was uneventful and even rather pleasant as a little brightness tried to break through the clouds. Still just a little early to cross Breydon decided to stop at the Yacht Station, so under the bridges onto Breydon, turn and back to make a perfect mooring against the tide.

Now at this point I will just give the straight facts because of the implications. Attendants arrived to check our ropes and take fee. Conversation went. "Staying overnight " " No. Just mooring for the tide and not leaving the Yacht Station." "Thats £5 then" " £3? As we got charged last week because we are not leaving the compound" "No £5, it's on the notice board" Called Derek. "Have you the ticket from last Sunday?" "No, he didn't give me one." Hmmmm. I paid the £5. One of the attendants was thinking exactly what I was and just said "Last Sunday" and we left it at that.

Anyway, time to leave the Broadland paradise of Great Yarmouth arrived and to send us on our way the elusive sun broke through in all its glory.

What a difference an hour can make. post-71-0-74516800-1377641689_thumb.jpg  post-71-0-71738000-1377641742_thumb.jpg

So we headed across. The sun streaming down through the now fast disappearing cloud, making the marker posts monochrome. A Herbert Woods boat had gone the wrong side of the posts and just gone aground but managed  to struggle off. Seemed to be having some sort of problem after the event and was going very slow, so we hailed him if he was ok. Looked a little embarrassed and shrugged his shoulders as if to say, why ask? 

On to Burgh Castle and moored at the Fisherman's Inn. Lovely spot although the concrete topped moorings need care on approach. Never before moored at the Inn, always looked to me to be like one of those roadside cafe before the motorways came along but had read some good reviews. In the most part would recommend although the food on this occasion was rather poor but I never judge on just one visit as everyone can have a bad day. The beer though was good and we enjoyed a relaxing evening supping in the beer garden, which gave extensive views over the mashes. Back to the boat and a final check of the ropes before retiring.

Reviews

The Ferry Stokesby (3rd visit)

As before. Totally recommended.

Fishermans Inn Burgh Castle.

Location.      Superb but caution needed when mooring.

Beer.            Very good

Cider.           Good

Food.            Dissapointing

Atmosphere. Very good

• Like 2

Day 11 Monday 22 July.

A mist hung over the river as we arose, but already the sun was warm and Derek settled down to his  culinary skills while I had a short lie in, watching ,yes, the water reflecting on the roof.Magical! Had not had a totally undisturbed night as the boat had made a bump, probably just the tide but enough for me to get up and check the ropes. Everything was fine but the next time I stop at Burgh Castle we will make it the BA mooring not the Inn as the mooring is a little rough.

So we set off for Beccles in glorious sunshine although as we passed through St.Olaves for some strange reason the mist returned to disappear by the time we reached Haddiscoe. Past the Waveney River centre, day boats were coming out like bees from a hive zig zagging across the river in both directions. Now we cruise at a rather sedate pace but it was quite a shock when one of these little Bs overtook us on the inside especially as the rest of the river was unoccupied. Only presume the crew had been told keep to the right and the had taken this literally.

The sun was now basking as we arrived at Beccles and we made for the yacht station as the headroom under the bridge was on the cusp even for Symphony. Moored up and decided to have shower before going into town. Now the space in the washroom is narrow on an Opel 28 so procedure when having a shower is to put towels on the cupboard next to the toilet door in the galley, have the shower and then sneak your hand out after the shower and grab a towel. Derek said he was going to use the shower at the yacht station. So as usual I put all the towels safely onto the cupboard, Derek went off for his shower and I had mine. All was well until I went to grab a towel. Just two hand towels remained and to make it worse a boat had come in alongside. So I dried on the hand towels and now had to make my way to the cabin with the full view of my new neighbours and just a small hand towel to hide my modesty! This was not as easy at it might sound as they milled around the deck or talked in the cockpit. I deliberated on stooping and wobbling to the cabin but when I tried I was still in full view as Symphony was a lot lower. Anyway after what seemed an eternity I timed it right and got there and dressed. Derek returned. "Did you take two bath towels." I asked. "No.", was the reply. Well, its disappeared. The boat was then searched from top to bottom. No bath towel. Derek went back to check he had not taken two. No.  "You've left it at Great Yarmouth." I said , getting annoyed. The conversation then got heated and the expletives here are definitely censored but the end result was Derek rang the Yacht station to ask if he had left it there and no he hadn't . The mystery remained. Derek, "I haven't  lost it." Fred,"Your a careless, useless buffoon."

So two very clean but narky gentleman went into town. Wow it was hot but Beccles really is delightful and we pottered around, slowly talking to each other again. We decided to have lunch at Ronnie’s cafe, a rather old fashioned establishment with a rather old fashioned menu. Who wants a roast dinner when its in the 80s? However the food was nicely prepared and the staff pleasant. Then on to Baileys delicatessen which has a nice range of overpriced goods and from past experience, service without a smile. We were not to be disappointed! Anyway we stocked up with some fancy olives and bottles of Maynard House Orchards apple juice which is just unbelievably good and passed Bernard Hill (“Give us a job.”) on the way out. Next port of call was Seppings butchers with it's gourmet sausages and wide cheese range and the back to the boat with a diversion into one of Beccles many charity shops and the bargain purchase of the complete bound works of the Rev.W.Audrey's Thomas the Tank Engine for £3:50.

Back at the boat we decided to fill up with water before departure. Derek went down the quay to get the hose whilst I went to get the water key that was kept on a hook on the rear cabin bulkhead.The door to the toilet room was still open from my earlier shower and I closed it to get the key. There hanging on the hook was the missing bath sheet. In all our searching neither of us had thought to look behind the door. I found it hilarious especially when Derek piped up “Oh yes. I remember putting it there now.” To which I retorted my earlier exclamation of “Buffoon.”

As we wanted to spend time in Norwich later in the week we departed downstream with no particular destination in mind at ended up on the Herringfleet moorings, one of our favourites. We had supper, opened a bottle of red and enjoyed the evening, once again doing absolutely nothing. Great!

post-71-0-88343400-1378150620_thumb.jpgpost-71-0-18101500-1378150567_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

Day10 Sunday 21 July 2013

Now at this point I will just give the straight facts because of the implications. Attendants arrived to check our ropes and take fee. Conversation went. "Staying overnight " " No. Just mooring for the tide and not leaving the Yacht Station." "Thats £5 then" " £3? As we got charged last week because we are not leaving the compound" "No £5, it's on the notice board" Called Derek. "Have you the ticket from last Sunday?" "No, he didn't give me one." Hmmmm. I paid the £5. One of the attendants was thinking exactly what I was and just said "Last Sunday" and we left it at that.

Fred, Hi

I have written it here on the NBN many times and I'll do it again!

"WAITING FOR THE TIDE"

Here in Good Olde England we have a centuries old custom called "Waiting for the tide" where you cannot be charged if you are doing just that. I like to take a good ebb into GH when going North and then wait a couple of hours until I've got a decent flood behind me.

They've tried, oh how they have, to get money out of me but I refuse and use the magic words! They also tell me I can't leave the YS but I just tell them

"I'll be in that round building over there!"   :naughty: :naughty:  :naughty:  

Perhaps next time?

• Like 3

Hi John, I did use that line once and got told that as the boat (Symphony again I think) could get under the bridges and the tide was in my favour, I had to pay up. To be honest as we use the facilities and often go into town I think the £5 is reasonable. What does concern me and I am a little surprised at the implications is that Derek was charged a fictitious fee of £3 and no mooring ticket?

Fred

• Like 1

Hi Fred,

The only time I went to the Yacht Station was in 2001 and that was by bus, I wanted to know about the set up and look at the bridge. It was operated out of a shed and Harbour Master looked as if he had spent all his life in the sun, I could not understand what he was saying and he shrugged when ever I spoke.

The Yacht Station needs floating pontoons with associated walkways to be effective, as it stands at the moment it is an accident waiting to happen again like the unfortunate lady that drowned a couple of years ago.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi John, I did use that line once and got told that as the boat (Symphony again I think) could get under the bridges and the tide was in my favour, I had to pay up. To be honest as we use the facilities and often go into town I think the £5 is reasonable. What does concern me and I am a little surprised at the implications is that Derek was charged a fictitious fee of £3 and no mooring ticket?

Fred

Absolutely, Fred, I thought that you were waiting for the tide. I wasn't trying to imply that you could use that whenever you felt like stopping there.

Sounds like a bit of private enterprise on your £3 visit, eh?  :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay with day 12 or for that matter in any internet activity. Having only one completely functional eye, it was rather carless of me to get an infection in it, which has resulted in me keeping off the computer totally at home. Anyway here we go.....................

Day 12 Tuesday 23 July

Hot, clammy and murky. Horrible is the only way to describe the start of the day and to make it worse we would have to go against the tide until reaching the Yare junction at Reedham. The New Cut looked more mundane than ever in the dull and sticky conditions but the sight of Reedham as always cheered us and then just the short cruise to the Chet. Not much improvement in the weather but the Chet is such a pretty river, full of contrasts, that we did not really mind. As always we seemed to meet another boat on a bend but everyone was taking it slow and no problems. Moored up at the staithe and it started to rain. Not for long but enough to clear the air and yes a gap in the clouds! Blue sky again. Topped the water tank up and then into Loddon. What a lovely village it is and very friendly too with a real community atmosphere. Passed The Swan and what a transformation from our last visit when it seemed to be on its last legs.Nearly went in but decided on the Kings Head. Little bit of shopping on the way down, found the brand of apple juice we had purchased in Beccles at 50p a bottle less, so bought the stock! Derek got yet another plant for the expanding on board nursery and so on to the Kings Head. This turned out to be a mistake as they had had a large function the night before and the dinning room was closed and meals were being served in the bar. This normally would not be a problem but as we drank our pints there was a strong smell of toilet blocks in the pub. Now I don't mind mustard on my beefburger but Harpic Ocean Breeze is a bit much! So was it to be be back up to The Swan or down to Rosy Lee's. Rosy Lee won. What a fantastic little establishment she runs and such a genuinely nice person she is too. Really do recommend anyone visiting Loddon to at least have a coffee and cake there, if not a meal.

Back to the boat and off to moor the night at Pyes Mill. Now I was hoping to get an end mooring because that night the BBC was broadcasting from the proms Wagner’s Die Walkure which just has to be heard LOUD! The night before we had heard Das Rheingold, muted to spare our neighbours which rather spoilt it. Unfortunately the end mooring was taken by a very nice crew on Alpha Firefly. So a little bit of experimenting with Radio 1 and we worked out the maximum volume we could attain without upsetting anyone. Settled down to cheese, red wine and Wagner’s happy little five hour tail of hate, incest, disobedience and punishment. Great fun, great music but wow, exhausting. So opera complete, cheese ate and rather a lot of wine drunk, it was off to bed and ZZzzz.

post-71-0-14332600-1379183879_thumb.jpg   Silver Leaf.  A Johnson Sons & Jago built craft and former 1960s hire boat from Silver Leaf Boats Horning.

post-71-0-25396400-1379184035_thumb.jpg      Maffets boatyard. Note the Alpha mentioned by Neil (Speedtriple) on his thread about Maffet's new addition.

post-71-0-29398400-1379183940_thumb.jpg    Evening moorings.

• Like 1