2014 Meets

Sorry, all you good peeps, but I inadvertently messed this thread up at 03.30 this morning in a moment of insomnia... here's what I've manage to salvage....  :oops: 

I've had lots of chats with peeps attending the last two Meets.Last weekend was particularly good because we saw quite a few new faces.

I'd like to suggest that 2014 is planned differently with the three Southern Meets on set dates to make it easier for those of us who aren't retired! Also a Northern Meet at, perhaps, Salhouse Broad, if anyone fancies organising it?

Dates which come to mind for the Southern Meets would be Easter weekend, first weekend of school holidays and last weekend September/first weekend October. Venues to be agreed by popular agreement.

For a Northern Meet we need some more suggestions, please.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

The only downside to those dates John are the Easter and First week of the school holidays are often the most expensive times for hirers, not to mention the chaos on the roads with everyone trying to get away. Even for us with our own Caravan we try to avoid such busy times on the roads, one crunch on the A47 and you can be stuck for a couple of hours.

I might be able to make the September one, but due to family situation, l cannot commit to helping out with any Northern meet, were very much taking one day at a time at the moment, and awaiting the results of a bone scan fairly soon.

Julz

We are mostly Norfolk bound in August, so have a chance of making it to a meet then as long as there is fairly easy road access and parking, as mentioned above, we try and avoid traveling at bank holiday times, our 5 hour journey can quickly turn into almost a full day if we get stuck in traffic due to roadworks, accidents ect.

I agree a northern meet with plenty of hype towards the hirers and inviting them to Join NBN by flyers, and local shop window adds to incourage the tourists would be a good idea, especially if hosted in a popular area with plenty of boater footfall.

Julz

I like the idea of a witsun event, as Karen and i often go around May-June. As mentioed about hirers and the cost jumping dramatically around bank holidays, i think the first weekend in October being a regular event should stay. As for the Northern meet, Ranworth island might be a good option, but Salhouse has to be favourite, as they seem to be the only veues big enough to take a largeish number of boats. The only others i can think of are Hoveton viaduct moorings, and Coltishall common, but they`re out because of Wroxham bridge, unless someone dismantles it by then?

hi john , may's usually a good time for us, but july is a no no, it's just toooo expensive, & i usually like to come down in september, as the past two years when we've been, we usually found that the weather would start to change at the end of september, lori :-)