Freeman 32 Mk2

steve1961

There have been many discussions all over the web on all the forums about osmosis. Basic fact! Osmosis never sank a boat! Yes, Freemans seemingly picked up an unfortunate tag of suffering more than most but it is only in the most extreme cases where the very expensive remedial work is required. Given the age of these craft I would challenge anyone to find any marque of craft of a similar age without the slightest trace of osmosis. Look at Mr Truss's final comment, "For a caravan builder a very solid boat"!

Then examine the quality of the interior finish. These are generally very fine boats for their age. Ask Lord Paul!

Trevor

• Like 1

There are no finer boats available that came out of a mould around the time these things were built and few since unless they have been made to specification.

The sheer quality of the furnishings in a Freeman are astonishing for a vessel that was essentially built as part of a production system. It's certainly true that there is osmosis in the Freeman family, but then I've seen blisters on boats only a few year old. Too much is made of osmosis and the "problems" it causes; well, if you keep an eye on it and stop worrying unless you find shes sitting six inches lower next year than this, stop worrying about it and enjoy a fabulous classic cruiser.

• Like 1

W

There are no finer boats available that came out of a mould around the time these things were built and few since unless they have been made to specification.

The sheer quality of the furnishings in a Freeman are astonishing for a vessel that was essentially built as part of a production system.

Well, Steve, there's the definitive answer for you from Andy himself!  :clap  :clap

Please let us know how you get on!

• 1 year later...

Hello Akmanxman18,

Welcome to the forum from Tan & myself.

I have just searched on the boat listing searches we have on our Useful Links pages sadly these have not come up with any results, was your families  boat registered on the Norfolk Broads or another waterway? If you have the old registration number this might help.

xmas6

Regards

Alan 

Osmosis is something I've never worried about! back in the mid 80's I bought a Seamaster Cadet, being new to boats I knew nothing about osmosis until I took the boat out of the water and it was pointed out to me, some of the blisters were as big as dinner plates, not knowing any better I dug them all out and filled them with car body filler, yes everyone told me it was wrong, but that boat is still on the Broads today and has never had any other treatment, I saw it out of the water a year ago and it looks no different from when I did the work on it,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 2

:wave welcome to the forum steve!

As others have mentioned. No boat has ever sank from osmosis. I dont understand why people worry so much about it. Most boats will have the odd blister. Just ignore it there's bigger things to worry about.. As Andy said these freemans are just stunning. If we didnt get this boat last year we would without any doubt a freeman owner.(the 32 looks amazing go and grab it before someone else does!).. cheers