Hello there

Moondance

Hello there,     Ive been enjoying reading the topics on here for a while, & thought id join in,

My other half & myself have been hiring boats on the broads for 5 years now & have definitely got

'the broads bug'....   Am always interested to hear what other people have to say & recommend about  

places to visit, etc.....  And ive always got questions to ask about places too....

cheers,  Carole

• Like 1

Thanks everyone,   I forgot to say too that I also had several holidays on the broads  when I was a nipper, the whole family would come along & we'd have a great time & I have some lovely memories so that's probably where I first caught the broads bug!!!!

When I was aboard as a child in the 1960's I remember we hired a lovely wooden boat called the 'princess of hearts' & she looked  very stately with all the gleaming wood & brass fittings,- don't think she's on the water any more though.. A few years later we hired a boat called sea huntress & I can remember having a go steering which I thought was fun ( I was only about 7)    As a teenager we also hired a Hampton safari type boat which we only had for a week but we seemed to go everywhere , I remember picking her up at Loddon & heading across breydon which felt like an adventure, think we went right up to wroxham & back in that week!

We returned back to the broads 5 years ago & twice hired from a large boatyard in Stalham, weve had 'ruby gem' and 'san salvador' which we had a great time on & would recommend the yard as the staff were very friendly & helpful. We've also had 'spring horizon' and 'pearl horizon' from Acle,, & also found the yard very friendly & helpful. we've found the bathtub type boat very easy to handle (apart from the  stern swinging out when you steer) & like the layout but this year we're going to try something  different & are going for 'glistening horizon'!

Carole :wave

• Like 3

Welcome Carole! Like you, I caught the Broads Bug when I was a very small child being on holiday with my parents. I never lost the love of the place, so much so that it became my ambition to live near the Broads and have my own boat one day. I'm pleased to say that both ambitions have now been realised, and I still love being on the rivers as much now as I did back then. 

• Like 1

hi carole we've also hired a few times from horizon boatyerd, we've had spring & summer horizon, they were'nt bad boats but i did'nt like where the engine was right in the middle of the boat, so it could be very noisy & your ears would be humming after a days cruise:lol: we've also decided to try something different this year, me & my sister are hiring distant horizon, so we'll have to see how things go, lori :D

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Alan for the link to the website, Had a look at princess of hearts & think it was the one, shame shes not around now though, im not sure where we hired from although we did spend a lot of time on the southern rivers so probably was from Thorpe.  I also recognised the  sea huntress but cant remember where that was from, ill have to quiz my parents about that!! cheers

Thanks for that Jill, wow that took me back and to think it only cost around  £8 per person per week!!  Think we had that boat in 1966 too,  I used to love looking through the brochures every year looking at all the boats, & I seem to remember there were loads of sailing boats for hire in those days too.

Hello Carole,

There is still a few sailing boats that can be hired on the Broads, by the week or by the day. A number of these yards offer tuition as well.

Check out our information pages for Dayboats, Canoes, Half Deckers etc under the Visiting The Broads and Useful Information Slipways & Information.

Regards

Alan