Maffett Cruisers New Addition

Hi all,  i found out today that Maffett Cruisers have already taken over another new addition to their fleet. When i spoke to John and Linda in June, they said they were seriously considering another new boat to increase their fleet to 5 boats. The new boatis a centre cockpit Alpha 42, and is one of the  variants that has 4 sleeping cabins and the saloon in the centre cockpit. She will not be available for hire this year, as they are using the rest of this season and winter carrying out various improvements, such as removing the bath fitted instead of one of the bunks in the aft twin cabin and re-instating it as a twin/double cabin. She`s also going to have a new engine and running gear, and will be relined with soft fabric. She will have permanent berths for 9 people in 4 cabins, being 2 double, 1 twin-convertable double, and one en-suite family cabin fwd. They`re going to call her "Kestrel", and YES, i did take the opportunity of making the first booking, and have booked her for late June.next year. We`re booked in for the Autumn meet, and will be on Maffetts "Jay", so will be able to hopefully get some piccys, and post them up on the forum.

Good news me thinks for hirers looking to stay on the southern rivers.

Regards to all .......................... Neil.

• Like 2

Any ideas of pricing, Neil?

Hi John, no, i`ve no idea what she`ll be priced at, but knowing John and Linda, it WILL be very competatively priced, and the price advertised when she goes on the website is AN ALL IN PRICE, WITHOUT all the usual add ons from many yards. Things like diver insurance, car parking, hair dryers, pets and pet life jackets etc etc.

It`s really good to see them expanding their fleet, as with so many Southern yards having gone, it will be a very welcome addition. They did tell me they were considering the 35ft version, but as i said to them, at least with the bigger version, if can still be let to smaller parties, just like when Karen and i had Kingfisher which is a 4-6 berth and there was only the 2 of us.At least with the big version, if regulars such as us want to come with an increasing family, they now have that option of being able to all fit on one boat.

Going back to the pricing issue, i would imagine she would compare favourably with Pacific cruisers  "Pacific Imperial", as she`s roughly the same age, size and comparable layout?.

Trambo, yes, you`re spot on with the Citation from Sabena, but when DRL operated her, the ripped out one of the sigle bunks in the aft cabin and put a bath in there. Go knows why, as it still had a single bunk beside the bath?????????.

There`s another sister ship to her for sale at Norfolk boatsales, which is not in as good condition, but John and Linda are not interested in that one.

Regards to all ..................... Neil.

• Like 1

Hi Simon, yes, they`re definately putting in a lot of new stuff, but first on the more important mechanical side of things rather than cosmetic. That`s exactly what they did with Kingfisher (also ex DRL), and we had a trouble free holiday, except when some brain dead idiot filled the deisel tank with water that is (i can`t find the red faced smiley?)......................

Regards to all .......................... Neil.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow Neil, I feel for you. Hirers nightmare. What did Karen say? 

Fred

Hi Fred, it was`nt Karen i was worried about. It was the rather embarrassing phone call i had to make to John and Linda back at the yard. Luckily, we did`nt have the engine running at the time, so no damage was done, and when we syphoned the water out, we took the boat back to their yard so it would give it a run, and the could check the fuel/water seperator, which turned out to have no water in it at all.

Unfortunately, i could`nt get any pics Alan, as she was layed up in an inaccessible part of the yard, but the exterior looks to be in pretty good shape already, with possibly just a good scrub down and polish needed. However, when i did ask to look inside, John said he`d rather i wait until we pick her up next year,as she`s already had the floors taken up, and are probably in the throws of replacing them. He also said she`s got many areas where the lining is peeling off bulkheads, which is how she was sold, so baring in mind she was the best out of the 2, the one for sale through NYA must be pretty ropey..

• Like 1

It looks like the word is out on their new boat (Kestrel) as when i phoned Lynda today, regarding something i forgot to mention about Jay, i said i may have to change the booking for the following week, but she told me it`s already booked for that week, so get in quick folks, as it sounds like it`s going to be a popular boat.

Since we hired Kingfisher in June, she`s been out every week since, the only exception being THIS week, but she`s booked up for the rest of the season. Obviously a wise and successful addition for their fleet.

Regards to all ..................... Neil.

Any ideas of pricing, Neil?

Hi John, when we were there on the weekend, i asked about the pricing, and the price Lynda told us for the week we`ve booked for next year in late June is VERY FAVOURABLE with comparative sized boats in other fleets, AND that price actually includes fuel, whereas virtually all the other fleets do not include fuel in their pricing. Yet another example of knowing the price you see is the ONLY price you pay, with NO add ons, a marketing policy i think EVERY yard should follow..

Regards to all ................... Neil.

• Like 2

hi Neil,

Out of interest I looked at their 2013 pricing, and on their site it does state a fuel deposit is payable with final balance, swallow/merlin £50, jay £100, per week.

Maybe this should be pointed out to them, as if the price includes fuel, prospective new hirers will not be aware that this is a mistake on the website.

http://www.maffett-cruisers.com/Files/2013-PRICE-LIST.pdf

possibly Maxwellian,

but that was from their own site, and it didn't look like you could book online, but had to contact them direct.

It was just something I picked out, and would not want a small yard to miss on customers, as I started my boating on the broads with Freshwater Cruisers, who unfortunately as a small hire fleet decided against it and dropped the fleet to concentrate on maintenance.

They do advertise on waterwaysholidays.com 

If you search for kingfisher it comes up. I booked direct and got the fuel included. We went on Swallow this year, it is a lovely boat. We have booked two weeks on Kingfisher for next year. It is all Neil's fault (Speedtriple), We read his previous posts on Maffetts and Swallow and decided to give it ago.

• Like 1