Are Bitterns on the increase?

mbird

Having never seen one before due to their rarity, I have now seen 4 bitterns in the last year!

The first couple of sightings were last summer, one on the Yare between Reedham and the Berney Arms and the other along Oulton Dyke. This year I have again seen one on the Yare in the same sort of area, and then the last sighting was a couple of weeks ago on the way to the Beccles meet, near to Somerleyton bridge. The bird literally flew over the boat and then landed in the reeds.

Sod's law dictates that I have never had a camera handy, but I can only surmise that their population is a little healthier than it was a few years ago.

I've heard not seen a bittern! not having a camera ready wasn't a problem.

My biggest faux-par came on Hickling when for several minutes we were treated to the sight of an otter laying on his back using a stone to crack a fresh water muscle on his chest, it was only after he left we even thought about taking a picture.

• 2 weeks later...

It is heartening to hear that the Bittern has reached the Southern Broads. I have never had the privelige of seeing one.

A couple of years ago in the Spring I was moored at Hickling Sound and heard the Bitterns booming over the marshes. I was also treated to the sight of a Barn Owl silently swooping over my boat.

What a wonderful evening, I was also treated to a spectacular red Norfolk sunset.

Bobby.

I've only seen a bittern on two occasions, both times on Sutton Broad. I was fortunate enough to get some photos on the first occasion.

On the more general bird aspect, though, where have all the coots disappeared to? There used to be large flocks around Wroxham Broad and Horning Staithe. Last week, from Coltishall to Horning I saw nary a one (several moorhens, though, which I prefer).

I think you'll find that the white storks are little egrets . They are becoming fairly common. I've seen them near the location given, on Breydon Water and along the Ant.

Sorry but you're on the wrong track. They (Egrets) are plentiful around the Southern side, but NO these were White Storks that we saw and so I Goggled it and found another person had seen them in the same area albeit by road.

http://letterfromnorfolk.wordpress.com/tag/white-stork/

On the more general bird aspect, though, where have all the coots disappeared to? There used to be large flocks around Wroxham Broad and Horning Staithe. to Horning I saw nary a one 

I noticed fewer coots around this year, they used to be quite prolific. Rather like their cheeky personality.  Thought if the swan population gets any bigger, someone will be asking for a cull. They seemed to be everywhere.

Fred

Sorry but you're on the wrong track. They (Egrets) are plentiful around the Southern side, but NO these were White Storks that we saw and so I Goggled it and found another person had seen them in the same area albeit by road.

That was a good sighting then. I was able to take some photos of the bird I saw.

post-117-0-61286400-1376551004_thumb.jpg

I heard Bitterns in the last leg of the 3 rivers race this year through Horning, I also heard them About 4 am the other day while moored at Berny arms...

I guess The otters are probably eating all the coot eggs.

Mark, I gave you a wave the other day while we were driving our sail boats to Oulton, you did wave back but doubt you realised it was me on there. 

Mark, I gave you a wave the other day while we were driving our sail boats to Oulton, you did wave back but doubt you realised it was me on there. 

Sorry Clive, I didn't recognise you! I was probably concentrating as I was solo with no crew! I guess you were in that raft of three boats I passed on Oulton Dyke?

Just goes to prove I even wave at the raggies :naughty:  :Sailing

• Like 2

I was moored at the Pleasure boat, Hickling early June. It was about 4 O'clock in the afternoon on a Sunday, the pub was busy and there were people about when I heard a noise that sounded rather like someone blowing across the top of a bottle. The noise definitely came from an area where there was nobody to be seen and right by the waters edge.

To this day I've wondered if I've heard my first bittern but felt it was the wrong time of day and too many people about.

Your opinions please!