NEW ELECTRIC POSTS AT LODDON BASIN....BUT?

diesel falcon

As you oops! so called professionals are not what they used to be. Is it one or two additional new posts fitted?

If they are lucky and the post can be detached from the base and turned round 180 degrees it will cost less than a couple of hundred in labour and travel costs if not it will be a costly mistake.

Regards

Alan

i walked past them several times saturday and sunday too (short cut from caravelle to get coffee and grub) and thought they looked good, just not practical. the electrician was working on them saturday perhaps i should have said something from a practical point of view but 9 out of 10 tradesmen don't take kindly to such comments .. was lovely in loddon sat eve watching the herron catching its supper .

i walked past them several times saturday and sunday too (short cut from caravelle to get coffee and grub) and thought they looked good, just not practical. the electrician was working on them saturday perhaps i should have said something from a practical point of view but 9 out of 10 tradesmen don't take kindly to such comments .. was lovely in loddon sat eve watching the herron catching its supper .

see trev and bobs boating blog!!

• Like 2

A question for the electrical experts - is that coil of wire sufficiently loose to avoid any danger of overheating? I realise it is subject to the load being placed on it, but, as a total amateur, I have always followed the usual advice to uncoil lengths of wire before use.

• Like 1

Hello Paladin,

A good question.

If the same amount of cable was on a reel then no, but that cable is open to the air.

That coil of wire however should be on the boat rather than being on the mooring, I might leave some slack to take into account the rise and fall but a coil like that is waiting for someone to trip over it.

If we are some way from the post I loop the cable around each post.

Regarding the design of the posts it would be better if the sockets and card readers were on the sides of the posts.

Regards

Alan

It will depend on the load (amps) being used as to whether it will heat up. Any wire will overheat if you put enough current through it, though if it's coiled it will do so more readily. If you really do coil it (as on a reel) then watch out!

http://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/122077/Overheated_Extension_Cord.html

Coiled wire can create an induction loop if enough current passes through it. Having said that, we store our cable on a reel and only unwind enough to plug in, and have spent 20 years caravanning and 5 years boating never felt the cable get even slightly warm. It may be more of a problem with a 32A cable, but I think with 16A it's much less of a problem.

Hello Mark,

Stick a 3KW fan heater on any 16 amp cable and it will get warm.

Regards

Alan

Good job I don't have a 3kw fan heater then Alan :grin: . The most we ever have on is the battery charger and 1kw kettle. We do have a 1kw immersion heater but always turn that off if boiling the kettle as we get fed up with posts tripping if several boats are split off from one post.

A question for the electrical experts - is that coil of wire sufficiently loose to avoid any danger of overheating? I realise it is subject to the load being placed on it, but, as a total amateur, I have always followed the usual advice to uncoil lengths of wire before use.

I've just looked at that pic again and I must say that I personally think that your coil or whatever should be on your boat!  :bow  :bow  :bow

No it will not overheat its a water hose :naughty: