Newbie to this forum

easyrider

Hi all :wave  just a quick hello from a new member of this forum. Been browsing for a while so thought it was about time I joined in the fun. As a new boat owner be prepared for some questions :smile: some of which will probably be a bit daft or obvious.

All the best Jim

• Like 1

Hi and thanks for the welcome. My boat is a little 19ft Dawncraft Dandy. She was in a bit of a state when I bought her. The exterior wasn't too bad, a few coats of paint would sort that out, but the cabin was in a mess so I completely gutted her and started again. She is still "moored" on the driveway beside the house but hopefully she will be on the water soon. I've tried attaching a couple of pics of her but as I'm new to this forum I'm not sure if I've done it right

all the best Jim

post-17992-0-83871600-1376308987_thumb.j

post-17992-0-68877100-1376309039_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks Hylander. To start with I will be putting her on the River Cam for a year. The reason being is that I live in Essex and the Cam is a lot nearer to me so if things do go wrong at first I can get to her easier. I've already sorted out a mooring for her at a place called Waterbeach (had a look there the other weekend and it is ideal). After the year is up I do intend to move her to the Broads, probaly southern.

• Like 1

Hi all :wave  just a quick hello from a new member of this forum. Been browsing for a while so thought it was about time I joined in the fun. As a new boat owner be prepared for some questions :smile: some of which will probably be a bit daft or obvious.

All the best Jim

Jim, Hi and a belated welcome aboard the NBN from us.  :grin:  :grin:

My holiday wifi has been a bit hit and miss over the last week and I'm very interested in your new boat as I built one like her from scratch with marine ply many years ago... she was 18ft long and I squeezed five berths into her!  :Stinky

Thanks John and Mary-Jane. 5 berths on an 18 footer must have been cosy, obviously you found out who your friends were. :smile:  Considering I knew nothing about refitting a boat I must admit I'm a little bit pleased with what I've done so far. The hardest bit for me starts now as I am definately no mechanic and I've got the outboard to sort out :unsure:

Not really, I just opened a tin of spaghetti, had a go at unravelling that, and the rest was easy :D  Seriously though it was a bit of a nightmare, especially as the only electric work I've done before is wiring a plug, but with a bit of googling on the internet and some valuable advice from forumites I got it sorted

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a few more pics of the interior so far. Laid the carpet, now all I've got to do is the cushions,getting the fabric this week, curtains and the front window. I know I'm doing that a**se upwards, getting the furnishings done before the window, but I'm waiting for my brother to get a break from his work to help me do it and I'm impatient :grin:

post-17992-0-59850300-1377617972_thumb.jpost-17992-0-89021700-1377618005_thumb.jpost-17992-0-61049100-1377618038_thumb.jpost-17992-0-60796500-1377618071_thumb.jpost-17992-0-95887500-1377618098_thumb.jpost-17992-0-67766000-1377618131_thumb.jpost-17992-0-02009700-1377618166_thumb.jpost-17992-0-34479000-1377618191_thumb.jpost-17992-0-33613000-1377618219_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hello Jim,

Some great strides there judging by your pictures.

I assume that you have an insert section and cussions to make up a double berth.

Curtains can be a pain on a curved or sloping screen, the way you can do it is to have a track at the top and at the bottom with the curtains fixed between them the alternative is to fix at the top and to have a rod that clips in place so the bottoms of the curtains sit behind the rod. For storage you can but a telescopic rod, we do this on our aft cabin curtains and the rods fit into out tiebacks.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, Yeah I've got that under the cockpit. There's a big gap underneath so i made a little door to block it off and make a handy storage space thats out of sight when sitting in the cabin. As for the curtains I was going to give the old velcro a try, a strip at the top and bottom of the windows