You tube clip

andyg

Having seen the video now ,it may have been different boats as the traffic reports stated the movements were today to Yarmouth ,so may have been lots going on this last couple of days as the you tube was the Thirteenth but could possibly have been filmed earlier.I am sure we will hear from someone who knows ?

These look far too large to be ‘Broads Boats’ – and it was guessed these may be Sealine molds – which could make sense.

They went into administration, Richardson’s then snap them up cheap – knowing they have the shed space, skilled labour and plenty of knowledge in recent years in building new boats.

If that was to be correct it could be a nice ‘in’ to build low volume, high spec offshore boats.

There would not be much sense to just have molds stored on site – or for someone else, equally it would not make much sense to buy in molds and then try and sell them on – in short we can presume these molds have a use and that use will be fulfilled by Richardson’s themselves.

Below is the video that begun the rumour mill to creek into action and now is running along at a fair speed.

Edited: the video was posted above while I was typing this .

• Like 1

Matt you are correct they would have not long left the dreaded Birmingham area.      I dont know how they got on but the A14 was closed that day between 3 and 7 because a Tanker had been involved in a serious accident with a lorry.   The Tanker was loaded with Ethanol.     It made our journey to Hereford interesting as we then had to re-route off the beaten track for a while.   The traffic was horrendous as it always is whenever something like a serious accident occurs.    Thank goodness now back home to normality.

Sounds like a number of different moulds going to different places.

I can confirm that some came up from the Acle Straight roundabout at Acle, over Acle Bridge and up the B1152 to Potter, and then along the A149 heading West.

I was out riding around the back lanes on one of my bikes, and the Police closed the roads in both directions for each stage. The biggest transporters I've seen around here for a long time.

As I've said elewhere, I think this could be a savvy move.

When you think about it you have a boat hire business already, that is their 'bread and butter' along with the holiday parks and pubs. As a result of this you have a stable base to build on and explore new ventures.

As far as the boating side of the business they have a really good team of staff who know about boats - from engineering, engines, fiberglass, building - you name it with most of the fabrication being done onsite.  If you can buy materials and then produce the finish product it sure saves a lot than buying in from suppliers pre-made things and further your workforce has the skills to produce such which money can't buy.

Richardson's have a huge site at Stalham - but they also happen to own a lot of 'real estate' in other locations that they lease and have an income on.  Take Le Boat in Horning.

So if they have bought the molds to then build new boats (which used to be Sealine models) - you have your market for such boats all over the world though I think UAE and American customers are more likely going to be the most common buyers of such expensive boats.

Such customers need have no idea your day to day business is that of hiring out boats in England these new customers would see a good looking boat, well fitted and perhaps (knowing Richardson's philosophy) at a slightly better more competitive price than the competition.

Richardson's could promote a low volume, bespoke package for the upper market - something like Rolls Royce or McLaren do - high quality fittings crafted interiors above the other options out there, those who can afford such would like that.

If it took off you could then move the operation to another site - like Horning - but, if it flopped unlike Sealine whose whole business was building boats and thus would fold, Richardson's can then simple cut their losses put the molds and tooling up for sale and return to what they know best - the holiday hire industry which having been run all along separately would not have been affected by the new venture financially.

As long as they do not borrow too much, and keep each business separate from the other (like Virgin did back in the day) you've got one strong single brand but without one huge risk associated if it was a single 'umbrella business'.

I look forward to what becomes of this in the future past speculation.  Certainly goes to show the economy can;t be as bad as it once was and now is a good time for change and good risks.

• Like 1

Sealine's traditional customer base was in the UK and Europe, Brunswick had lots of boat builders in the US so were not interested in pushing Sealine there.  When they were sold the new owners spent a lot of money converting their range to US spec, also in marketing, setting up dealers, stock boats etc. 

I think they sold 2 before going into administration, I'm not sure how many stock boats were left.

I'm aware where the T50 and T60 moulds have gone but I'll leave it to the new owners to announce it.

There would not be much sense to just have molds stored on site – or for someone else, equally it would not make much sense to buy in molds and then try and sell them on – in short we can presume these molds have a use and that use will be fulfilled by Richardson’s themselves.

Hi,  Sorry for the delayed response to this.. As has already been deduced, the moulds are the T50 and T60 from Sealine.

We are storing the T50 hull and deck for Brooms who have a plan which is for them to talk about and not for me although I don't think there are any secrets..

We bought the T60 to advertise properly and sell on, we have some work to do to prepare for sale but that is the plan.

If anyone wants a set of mouldings I would consider it but the build would tie up my staff for a year and interrupt the hire fleet programme too much

I hope not too many people were inconvenienced when the A11 was shut :naughty:

• Like 1