LUCY

Swift

As no-one has started the Jack Powles owners section, perhaps I may be the first.  This is "Lucy" - our smallest boat - a sixteen foot carvel mahogany on oak launch built by Jack Powles for his own use.  There is one other reputed to have been built for the yard foreman.  A longer launch also exists which has recently been converted to electric power.

Lucy's keel was laid in 1948.  She has had a succession of petrol engines, but, for the last twenty odd years she has been powered by a 48v DC electric motor powered by eight, six volt deep cycle traction batteries.  She is used every day, 365 days a year and a journey from Potter Heigham to Wroxham and back to Potter is easily achievable on a single charge.

She is a dream to drive - very manoeuvrable and with instant response from the electric motor.  It's just a pity that she is not very clean through the water.  At anything over sensible cruising speed she kicks up a bow wave and wash that would shame a destroyer flat out!

I hope that other JP owners will be along soon to list their boats.

David (Expilot) and (Swift)

post-16489-0-89437000-1376598791_thumb.j

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I am a little confused as I recently bought through Broadland Yacht brokers a boat almost identical .She was advertised as Jack Powels launch.The previous owner Tom Newman who works at one of the boatyards who was selling it descibed it as Jacks launch and said that another was built for his foreman.My boat is called Rani and I was told that she was initially called Lucy 1.The information given to me was that the keel was formed for both boats in1940 but both were hidden away because of the wood embarge during the war and that they were both finished in 1954.The boat has supposedly the 1940s coin that was put in the bilges which I believe was a tradition.If you can cast any light on all this I would be greatful.