Richardsons New Build Update

Mark42

Just me Siddy, am enjoying this new freedom of retirement and have always loved a laugh. Being a ex foreman you had too! lol Have a great holi on that cruiser am jelous lol 

I have 76 days till I am back on the Broads. But am slumming it on a boat from Herbert Woods !

Regards,

Iain.

Nah am not slumming it really lol. Just felt like a change and avoid the Broads version of the M25 at take over. Panic not Mr Richo sir I shall return! As for the windows....err yes.

Siddy bring a Cordless Jigsaw you may need it! Oh sorry, Mr Richo is trying to get an offer off a well known Double Glazing Co. He may have to climb a Mountain though to get a good price ! :naughty: Seriously, as I said, lovely boat, and my type these days, all on one level!

I have always wondered why new boats don't have the new sealed double glazed window units now that the technology has improved. 

Or why in the larger areas they have not taken advantage of the sort of windows that are now in our caravan, the double glazed Perspex?  Himself says that it may because the Perspex windows are not particularly strong, but again as technology has improved they may now be suitable?   It would certainly improve the winter boating experience. 

Mind you even Broom are not using such things in their new builds.

What do you think?

SueH

Perspex windows are better than they were, our glass supplier is experimenting with some which we may use in vulnerable areas on the next design although it scratches and dulls after time.

I think the touring caravan industry  uses plastic to save weight but they don't seem to last and the static caravans are so mass produced they probably use a standard opening,

I have never seen tinted double glazed units and most boats now have a tint to their glass, also many boats have curves or bends in the windows which would not work with double glazing, I think it would be odd to have some windows double  glazed and some not....

boat windows generally open on sliders (not outwards) so as not to obstruct the deck.

There are some of the problems, now go and find the solutions!

Hmmmmm,

Bendy, tinted, double glazed windows that work on runners.  If anyone could find a way to make them, at an affordable price, they would make a fortune.

Unfortunately I am not clever enough, more's the pity!

I can see the downside of the Perspex as currently manufactured.  It does scratch, and sometimes ours (despite the van only being two years old) gets condensation inside which becomes unsightly.  

SueH

bent glass is not cheap, when you get over 3mtrs of bent glass it has to be chemically toughened , that is mega bucks...  plus the tooling, then  double curvature :shocked 

we do use Trend  but also other people (including our own)

I don't want to give too much away about what we talk about though :naughty:

• Like 1