is this connected properly

• Hi all, my mate helped me connect the steering cable to the outboard bracket but I don't know if it has been done correctly. When I turn the wheel one way it's fine but turn it the other way and it seems to touch the outboard stopping it going to full lock, if that makes any sense. Your help will be much appreciated.post-17992-0-24512500-1376845033_thumb.j

In the close up photo it looks as though the steering cable pushrod is bolted directly to the tiller pinion plate on the motor.

There should really be a ball joint there, to allow the motor to tilt as well as move from side to side.

With a splash well mounted push/pull linkage, it is very much a question of carefully arranging the "eyeball" fitting on the side of the splash well so that it doesn't foul anything when moved from lock to lock, and also allow the motor to  be tilted fully.

When you manage to upload the larger photo of the whole well, we'll be able to see the rest of the mounting.

post-195-0-39318700-1376848864_thumb.jpg

thanks again Strow. It looks like I need one of those ball joints then. Also should the arm be at the top or bottom of the bracket and would this make a difference. Sorry to be a pain but as you've probably guessed I know next to nothing about outboard motors

Sometimes the ball is under ans sometimes over, it depends on the size of the outboard and the specific engine well.

The dimensions can vary so much, so that type of steering connection is laid out for each specific case. The "eyeball" fitting that holds the end of the steering cable outer is very adjustable, so that the mid point of the steering push/pull coincides with the straight ahead position of the outboard.

Then the clearance for the connection to freely  swing up and down when the motor tilts is checked before tightening things up.

Hello Jim,

The bracket that is supporting the rod that moves the outboard looks at to steep an angle to me, I would have thought that it binds a lot in each direction.

You may get better results if the assembly is more horizontal to the outboard.

I am sure there must be a better way to connect the outboard.

Just my thoughts from a purely mechanical standpoint.

Regards

Alan

Yes, as Alan has said, the linkage between the steering push rod and the tiller plate is too crowded, and it's binding when the motor is swiveled.

"Splashwell" mounted outboard steering is very much an individual situation setup, and changing an engine moves the connection points, so clearance and angles need to be moved slightly each time.

I would try to extend the tiller mounting bar plate connection point forwards, and then raise it up, with one of these swivel fittings (in the photo).  

The left hand photo is one of my old setups with the same Honda 10hp engine. You can see the triangular tiller plate is much longer and clearer of the motor, so that when it twists, it doesn't foul anything.

post-195-0-12057700-1376983046_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-45537200-1376983064_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-52893500-1376983081_thumb.jpg

Yes, that will give a lot more flexibility to the join between the steering cable and the tiller plate.

You may still need to extend the tiller plate forward slightly as well though, it's much closer to the front of the engine than the one in my photo.