Hello, New person here

Soupdragon

Hi

About to start our first family broads holiday next week (26th), excited and nervous as never done this before. Also joined the NBF so hoping to get some advice and guidance from both sites. Hiring 'Classic Gem 2' from Richardsons at Stalham for a week. Weather is looking good for the start of next week so fingers crossed.

Any advice for 1st timers would be taken on board (excuse the pun!) Me and the Mrs and my son (13) and his mate (also 13). The youngsters will be doing most of the hard work (that's what they're for surely?) whilst I steer (aim?) around the unsuspecting folk of the broads and the Mrs sits with her feet up and a large one!!

Been looking at some pictures posted on the site and it looks fantastic - I can't wait!

Hello Soupdragon and welcome to the NBN. We're a friendly lot and you've come to the right place for advice.  :grin:  :grin:

I see you've hired a good old Alpha (same as our Friday Girl) and you won't go far wrong with her. With two 13 year olds it will be a breeze mooring her and Richardsons are great at helping first timers. Their taster video is well worth watching to give you an idea of coming alongside and tying her up.

Have a great time and I'm sure you'll be offered suggestions for where to go! :Stinky

• Like 2

Hello Soupdragon,

Welcome to the forum from Tan & myself.

If this is your first visit to the Broads my advice is to have a look at the Richardson video on their website. Just copy into your browser.

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/first-timers/#tabs=1

Are you just staying on the Northern Broads for this trip? I would suggest that you stick to the Northern Rivers, there is plenty to see for a week.

Take it slow and easy and get used to the boat it is not like driving a car and steers almost on the centre of the boat so if you turn the wheel to the left (port) the front (bow)of the boat goes in that direction but the rear (aft)goes in the opposite direction starboard.

If another boat skipper offers advice I would be inclined to take it as long as it sounds correct to you. It is easier for example when stern mooring between two boats if the people on the other boats pull you in, so after they have taken your ropes put your engine out of gear.

Some people will just hold the ropes for you to tie off, it is your responsibility to make the boat fast. How to tie up the boat is featured in the Richardson's video.

You will setting off usually in the late afternoon and one of the popular moorings will be at Ludham Bridge but you may not find any moorings availably, the next BA moorings are the St Bennett's moorings.

At this time of the year mooring spaces fill up very quickly.

If you are planning on eating at the New Inn at Horning you are best to phone to reserve a mooring, the same can be done at the Hotel Wroxham which is just before the bridge. Dependant on your boats air draft (this is the height of the highest point of the boat from the water)you may be able to pass under Wroxham in order to do this you will have to queue for the bridge pilot.

If you have any questions please ask and a number of the forum members will surely answer them, we are a friendly bunch on here.

Regards

Aaln

• Like 1

Thanks guys, watched the Richardsons video the other day and it has calmed some of my nerves about mooring!! i am not planning on straying south this time as the tides at Gt Yarmouth sound daunting for a first timer. I have been watching some of the Rascal's video blogs which have given me some ideas of things to do and places to go.

Hello again Soupdragon ...(do you have a name we may use, please?).

Two 13 year olds to entertain, eh? Do they like to fish, cos that would keep them happy for a while.

At Ludham Staithe you can hire a pedallo or possibly a canoe for them if they like the water. They can then get around all the inaccessible-to-boats parts of Womach Water.

At Wroxham you can moor at Barnes Brinkcraft or Faircraft Loynes and your boat will go under the bridge (with a pilot) so you can get up to Coltishall for a night. Have a look at the BB or Hotel Wroxham webcam to see around there.

http://www.norfolklive.org/cameras.html

Horning has the old 2nd World War Radar plotting museum at Neatishead nearby which they may find interesting. Also a climb to the top of Ranworth church would be fun.

Whatever, we hope you have a good time!

I'm sure there are lots of other suggestions waiting out there!

• Like 1

Morning all

My mum calls me Nick!!

Fishing not on their radar (my son's friend is a girl!) although may be tempted if we can get a starter kit. I have done a lot of sea fishing, as i live in Portsmouth, but never tried river fishing. We are looking to eat in 3 or 4 pubs and cook the rest of the time on board. So, with that in mind what utensils and pots and pans are supplied on hire boats generally? I have seen mentions of taking a frying pan and sharp knife anything else we should take?

I have seen on Rascals videos that some of the Richardson's boats have a radio/cd player does anyone know if Classic Gem 2 has one? if not will bring one.

Next question is about journey there.  Does anyone come from the south coast? my route will be A3/M25 but then which is best A12 to Ipswich then Norwich or M11/A11 Thetford/Norwich? My letter from Richardson's says there are roadworks at Elveden but it will be Bank Holiday Monday.

I am sure i will have some more queries during the week.

Nick, Hi.

She certainly has a TV/DVD player and I'd be amazed if she didn't have a radio/cd.

Ditto a frying pan but I'd certainly take your own sharp knife! Give them a bell to be certain.

I'll PM Neil (Speed Triple) and ask him about  your route, he lives in Bournemouth. The A12 Ipswich Gt Yarmouth is a nightmare at any time and on a Bank Holiday Monday it will be no better...

Try Googling "Roadworks" (http://roadworks.org/)

and you'll get the latest update for the Barton Mills/Thetford new dual-carriageway roadworks. Then click on Live traffic congestion.

• Like 1

Hi Nick/ Soupdragon,

We are picking our boat up at Richardsons the same afternoon. Getting excited now!

Give us a wave if you see us.

So you recognise us...

We will be wearing a red rose in our lapels and carrying a copy of the Daily Telegraph under our arms.

Lol, trying to describe us. In our 50s, hubby 6 ft me 5 ft 6 . Hubby grey hair( he won't thank me for that) and glasses.

I'm brunette (courtesy of L'O real) , probably looking stressed out as I NEED this break!

Hope to see you there.

Chocofluff aka June and John (hubby)

• Like 2

Ok guys and gals another couple of questions!!

Mosquitos?? I know they will be there but what do people use/do to minimise their impact on the holiday? I have heard about the marmite thing and do eat it regularly on my toast. Anyone have any other tips?

As long as the weather is good, we quite fancy a day at the beach, although maybe not Gt Yarmouth!! I am sure I read in another post on here someone visiting the beach near to the Nelson's Head PH, I have found the pub and it is in Horsey, are there plenty of moorings around Horsey mere as the map only shows the staithe?

Thanks again for your assistance

• Like 1

Hello Nick,

Myself and Fred have a standing joke re Marmite, I can not stand the stuff but my youngest son swears by it.

Instead I have taken vitamin B tablets daily, the creepy crawlies have a bite but then tend to leave me alone, prior to starting taking vitamin B I used to get bitten to death with midges, so for me it works.

You can of course use all the spays that are on the market.

With regards to the boat you are hiring Classic Gem 2 it has an air draft of 7 foot so you will not get under Potter Heigham. You could moor at Potter Heigham and use public transport to get to the coast or you hire a day boat from Herbert Woods or one of the other smaller operators at Potter Heigham.

I am told that the area you mention is very good.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

With any cruiser the companies often say something like "will pass under Potter Heigham with a suitable water level"

Unfortunately the river levels never seem to be suitable lately...

I did get through one year, with a 36ft bathtub, and even then the pilot scraped the bridge with the roof rails....

• Like 1

Hi

I live on the south coast and have been up to Broads Great Yarmouth about 5 times.

My prefered route  from the Brighton area is:

London orbital car park; A12 to Ipswich; A14 for about 8 miles (sign posted Midlands, Bury (Norwich A140)) then A140 to Norwich.

The A140 is single lane for most of it's lenght but usually OK.

I use to spend a lot of time going backwards and forwards from Brighton to Thetford M11 etc but have always found this way to Norwich to be OK, takes about 4 - 4.5 hours

• Like 1

thanks for the info everyone, tomorrow is the day!! All packed and ready to cast off early morning incase we hit Bank hol traffic. Apologies to anyone that I bump into over the coming 7 days, I have got the damage waiver thingy and I am fully insured (I hope!!)

Any last minutes tips or recommendations of places to go on the Northern part? I think I have one more of The Rascals video blogs to watch, thanks Robin great information in all of them.

Hi Nick,

My Favourite places on the Northern Broads are:-

Womak Saithe, Ranworth Staithe, South Walsham Broad, the Green at Horning if you can get in together with The Staithe & Willow (a very good place to eat. Outside the Hotel Wroxham (you can reserve a mooring)and finally on the green at Stokesby if there is no room there is mooring outside of the Ferry Inn who offer good honest pub food.

Please let us know how you get on.

Enjoy your holiday and be safe at all times.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1