Platinum Emblem

Mandybstorm

Hi Everyone. We have been to the broads on holiday several times before but have always had traditional low sliding roof boats. This time we have hired the Platinum Emblem as the family were seduced by the sat tv and the glamorous look of the boat, however as our holiday date approaches I am starting to worry that she may not fit under the Vauxhall bridge at Yarmouth. Does anyone know for definite if she will? I have called the boatyard but they just said she should given the right conditions which didn't sound too definite. We do like to see as much of the broads as we can whilst we are there so would be a bit gutted if not.

Also does anyone out there have pictures or video of her as we have found that there are very few on the internet? We are 2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 child and 2 dogs (lab & a border collie) so also worried about her size. Hoping that she will be ok for us and that we don't live to regret booking her. She is shorter in length than our usual boat as we usually hire The fair countess.

Any help or reassurance will be welcome!! My oh my what have we done!! I'm sure she'll be fine just a little fear of the unknown setting in here!

• Like 2

I'll agree as I've seen her on the southern broads. Might have to time things just right @ Yarmouth though & I'd very much doubt she'll go under st Olaves so you'll problem have to go round via new cut if you want to go to Oulton

Doesn't mention St Olaves in their blurb...

PLATINUM EMBLEM - Sleeps 4 + 2

Bridge restrictions do apply (Wroxham, Potter and Beccles), but there are still plenty of places to visit. 

Mandy, Hi and welcome aboard our friendly forum.   :clap

To help please let us know when you are coming, then you'll get lots of advice from members.

Where are you hoping to go and what do you want to do?

If you can manage Fair Countess then I doubt you'll have any problems with Platinum Emblem. Relax, anyway, you'll have a great time!   :wave

HI Mandy and welcome from me. Great looking boat. Have a great time on her.  Gt.Yarmouth will be no problem at advised passage times. St.Olaves has an average high water headroom of 8'4" so with care will be passable at or near low water. 

Fred

Hi thanks for all the replies so far. We are coming down on the 30 aug for a week. No set route as yet but we were hoping to spend 1 night in Norwich as we have a groupon voucher for an Indian meal there. May not head to oulton as it was a little busy last time we went and not ideal for the dogs. We have a border collie who is a little highly strung! Although my teenage son may disagree as he got lots of female attention there. He looks a little like Harry styles (one direction). We woke to find several phone numbers stuck to the rear door!!!! We tend to try and moor up at the more remote places so the dogs don't bother other people except for the days we need to top up on water and provisions. We have done a huge Asia order this year to be delivered to the boatyard so hoping that goes smoothly.

In the past we have had an elderly relative aboard but we have managed to sneak away this year. Hence choosing the smaller boat which I may live to regret. Last year we went last minute and had superior gem from richardsons which was great apart from an unfortunate toilet incident which I won't disgust you all with!

Looking forward to coming down now but a little disappointed I can't find any decent pictures or video footage on the Internet. We will have to rectify that.

One question for the experts, I am presuming that the height of the boat affects the handling , is it more difficult to control and more delicate on the steering? Sorry don't know the technical terms!

I'm a dog walker/ animal carer working 7 day weeks mostly so desperate for the chance to wind down with a gin and watch the world passing by. Www.thek9walker.co.uk if anyone wants a nosy!

• Like 1

I think she has an airdraft of 8ft 6" so it would be very close at st Olaves, if it were me I would go via new cut. Plus you get the added advantage of a quick stop off at Reedham that way

I should have written average high water not low.  :norty:  In saying that The Ship sounds inviting  cheersbar One thing for sure, you wont be mooring at Thorpe Green!

Fred

I guess you're picking the boat up on Saturday? Slack Water Gt Yarmouth is about 2pm then and 3pm on Sunday. If you head back on Thursday slack is at 6pm and it will be dark by 9pm; so you've plenty of time to make Stokesby or Acle. Mention the NBN at Acle and you aren't charged the £4!

If you do want to go to Oulton just ring and book a mooring on the floating pontoons stern on... much easier to get on and off and costs the same!

The windage won't be that much different I would have thought over what you've had before and wouldn't make her anymore delicate.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures!  :wave

I'm a little confused as you say you've hired Platinum Emblem, not hired her but seen her in July & she looks fantastic, but you talk about not wanting to go to Oulton because of the dog. I'm confused because Platinum is not a pet friendly boat unless anything has changed.

I would agree about using the pontoons at Oulton if u want to go there, our dog loves running round the park there & the pontoons certainly make it easier to get her on & off the boat.

Hello Mandy,

Welcome to the forum from Tan & myself.

I have had a look at the boat you are hiring from Ferry Marina it looks very good.

I can not find my list of boat air drafts on my home PC but as Fred says he thinks sit is 8ft 6inch, I would have thought similar but your boat yard should be able to let you know.

Look at our link to the Broads Authority website, it is in Visiting the Broads under slipways, website links.

IMHO the Broads Authority tide table is the best tide table because it shows the height of tide at low water which is important to us because we have an air draft of 9ft 8inches with the canopy down and the masthead,

You can print off the tide tables to take with you for reference whilst on the boat.

With regards to your trip to the Southern Broads, the Bridges nominal heights at high water are: Acle is not a problem at 12 foot, Yarmouth is with the two bridges at 6ft 9inches and 7 foot, St Olaves is 8 foot, Somerleyton is 8ft 6inches (but will open if a single red flag is flying), Beccles Bye Pass is 12 foot, allowing you to get into the marina, you will not get under Beccles old road bridge. Reedham Bridge is 10 foot, all the bridges into Norwich are above 10ft.

As Fred says you will not get to Thorpe Green being as the bridges are both 6 foot.

The Green at Brammerton is an ideal place to stop with the dogs, I would have thought the park at Oulton Broad would have been also a good stop, if you moor in the Yacht Station at Beccles there is a large area of parkland next the marina.

Robin has posted a number of video's on the Norfolk Broads from the many hire craft he hires to do his blogs.

If you have more questions please ask, we like to help.

Regards

Alan

Just had a look see at your lovely boat you are hiring.   What a good choice.  I dont see why you are worried.    Apart from the bridges stated that you will not get under you will be fine and extremely comfortable.    I always print out the tides on the link as it states exactly what the tides are at what place and is a good general guide.   Put in the date of the week you are going and Bobs your Uncle.   It even shows the passage time for Breydon.

http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp?StartDate=20/08/2013&lines=7

Take lots of snaps and enjoy yourselves.   I liked the idea of the ASDA order being delivered.   Glad I am not the only person who brings the kitchen sink as well.    

Does you and your son fish?

• Like 1

I'm a little confused as you say you've hired Platinum Emblem, not hired her but seen her in July & she looks fantastic, but you talk about not wanting to go to Oulton because of the dog. I'm confused because Platinum is not a pet friendly boat unless anything has changed.

I would agree about using the pontoons at Oulton if u want to go there, our dog loves running round the park there & the pontoons certainly make it easier to get her on & off the boat.

We found oulton a bit stressful last time we went as the weather was great and the park itself was very busy. Jess our collie is very highly strung and gets totally wound up by lots of people and other dogs. She is scared of men she doesn't know, loud noises ect.. So we tend to moor up at places where we can take her to a quiet corner for a tiddle and where she won't scare anyone as her fear is quite often mistaken for aggression. She is a dog with issues so we do tend to plan our movements around her needs. This makes us seem a bit reclusive and anti social I suppose!!

The kids chose the boat this year as every other year we have gone with a sliding roof boat. They wanted the sat tv and the flashy looks of the boat I suppose so we decided to indulge them. We also have a Labrador so we were hoping the closed in style would help to keep her a little more confined. Keeping her out of the water is a constant battle! She would actually jump from a moving open boat if given half a chance which is not good. I don't mind her having a dip but in a controlled safe way. I am slightly concerned that the boat will be high to get on and off when moored side on but I'm sure we'll manage.

Thanks for all the good advice folks. I'm sure we'll be fine if we study the tidetables.

My husband suggested buying lots of beer to weigh the boat down so we can squeeze under the bridges. Nice try dear!

We will certainly take lots of pictures and video of the boat so we can remedy the lack of info on the Internet at the moment.

We collect the boat on the Friday afternoon 30th aug so look out for us . Salhouse may be the first stop I think. X

• Like 2

Have you got life jackets for the two dogs?       I assume the hire company will supply your family with theirs and please please all of you wear them especially when arrive at a  mooring and when leaving.

Hi yes got life jackets for them both just in case. The one for the lab is rather snug though so need to get busy with a Velcro tummy extension or starve her for a day!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't that type of boat get stuck under either Somerleyton or St Olaves bridges earlier this year? I think it was the one from Faircraft Loynes (Fair Executive?).

Regarding walks at Oulton Broad, we walked through the park and kept going until we reached the marina, then when you're passed the marina Clubhouse there's a path which will take you all the way to the Waveney. We did it a couple of times two weeks ago and didn't see a soul, saw some interesting coloured old caravans though.