Aldeby

Mandybstorm

We are on the platinum emblem from the 30th aug for a week. We have stopped once at a ba 24 hr mooring. It only has space for 3 or 4 boats and has a pathway that leads off through some woodland with deer type fencing on either side of the path. It has a strange engraved stone at the end of the mooring. I think it may be aldeby (sp) . Can anyone confirm this and can we get to it on platinum emblem or are there low bridges blocking our way from horning side? Sorry to seem a bit dim but we have only stopped there once and love it. The walk through the woods was ideal for our dogs and being so small it was quiet and ideal for our hyper anti social border collie. (We love her to bits really). We really should of made a note of the name! Didn't,t take much notice of the bridges before as we had a low roof boat. Thank you!!!!

We are on the platinum emblem from the 30th aug for a week. We have stopped once at a ba 24 hr mooring. It only has space for 3 or 4 boats and has a pathway that leads off through some woodland with deer type fencing on either side of the path. It has a strange engraved stone at the end of the mooring. I think it may be aldeby (sp) . Can anyone confirm this and can we get to it on platinum emblem or are there low bridges blocking our way from horning side? Sorry to seem a bit dim but we have only stopped there once and love it. The walk through the woods was ideal for our dogs and being so small it was quiet and ideal for our hyper anti social border collie. (We love her to bits really). We really should of made a note of the name! Didn't,t take much notice of the bridges before as we had a low roof boat. Thank you!!!!

Mandy, Hi

You are talking about Aldeby Moorings just before Beccles on the river Waveney, near the old centre span of the now defunct railway line. There is indeed room for about 4 boats but we've never seen more than 2 at most moored up there.

Platinum Emblem doesn't give and air-height but only lists bridge restrictions as Wroxham, Potter and Beccles; so you shouldn't have a problem. Perhaps it would be better to go via Reedham and the New Cut to avoid St Olave's old bridge but the yard should be able to tell you about that.

That stone you mention is the Wherry Stone

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1948226

We look forward to hearing about it all!  :wave

• Like 1

Hello Mandy,

Try looking for the other stones during your next visit to the Broads next week, I have not seen any of these.

Other than John's link I can not find any more information about these stones, such as what do the markings on the stones represent? (and I am not talking about the graffiti on one of them) and why seven?

If anyone has any information I would be interested.

Mandy ask the boatyard what the air draft is on Platinum Emblem and if it can get under St Olave's bridge.

Have a good and safe holiday.

Regards

Alan

Thank you! The airdraft is 8ft 6 I think. I have mislaid my detailed broads map and couldn't find one on the Internet so couldn't see exactly where on the river aldeby is. We stopped there overnight when we had superior gem. There was only one other boat moored up and we had nice BBQ and a very peaceful night. The stone was a total mystery to us and we couldn't find any info as to why it was there. I like the small moorings but my teenagers don't agree! We have never attempted wild mooring as always worried about grounding the boat. We could do with a broads expert on board for a week to show us the trade secrets. Never dropped the mud weight in the middle of a broad either due to the dogs and their frequent tiddling. Really must have a child and dog free holiday!

• Like 2

:wave hi mandy, we've moored there a few times ourselves, but usually stick to the middle if possible as there was alot of midges next to the trees, we've never ever grounded there, & it is a very peaceful place, as you say, not for teenagers lol, i'm sure you'll all  have a lovely holiday, lori :Stinky   who lives in the next town from you lol,

:wave hi mandy, we've moored there a few times ourselves, but usually stick to the middle if possible as there was alot of midges next to the trees, we've never ever grounded there, & it is a very peaceful place, as you say, not for teenagers lol, i'm sure you'll all  have a lovely holiday, lori :Stinky   who lives in the next town from you lol,

Hi there! Small world, you,ve got me guessing now. Bakewell, cromford, arghhh I,m going to be looking out for you. Yes I,m going armed with insect repellant this year.

We have seen people just moored up by the edge of rivers using the mooring prong things provided on the boat but we have never dared do it as yet. I suppose you need a good knowledge of the water depths and hidden obstacles to do it safely. We need a local on board to tell us where is safe and where to avoid at all costs.

smilie_girl_205.gif hi mandy , i'm from chessy lol, & yes it is a small world, i too am hiring a high boat, ours will be 8ft 6in too, we're hiring distant horizon, but we're not going til sept ,oh by the way them mooring prong things are called rhond anchors lol, we've used them a few times, you just ave to make the ground is solid when you bang them in, lori :-)

I seem to remember the stone is part of some sort of Sculpture trail. I'm not sure if it was part of this one or not http://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/leisure/1194.asp as I can't remember the details....

Doh, Mark!

In my link above:

Wherry Stone
A total of seven stones were erected around this area of Norfolk as a millennium project. This one is called the Wherry Stone and stands at the moorings near Aldeby Hall on the River Waveney. For more information about these stones goto: Linkexternal.png

To see the other stones click the link >

Traveller’s Stone > Linkexternal.png >

Stone of Redemption > Linkexternal.png >

Stone of Regeneration > Linkexternal.png >

Stone of Dawn > Linkexternal.png >

Stone of Wisdom > Linkexternal.png >

Stone of Destiny > Linkexternal.png