vauxhall bridge

jillR

I think that is the finished job because they certainly ran out of money to finished the full repairs to the bridge, and only the surplus of parking revenue paid for the paint.  I fear that what we have is a half painted and half repaired bridge and await more funds to complete it. 

If that is correct then by the time further funds are in place it may well be that the first painted part will not be looking in the best of states and you will never have a uniform and complete bridge.  I never did agree with this all being done to save the bridge in situ but that is a topic for another day.

• Like 1

I think the painted parts are a great improvement, makes it look "very pretty". As a non-local I find it difficult to understand why it is so important to spend so much money on something which is used so little and is a pain in the **** for those who pass under it. Maybe someone has a money mountain and they don't know what to do with it....I could suggest a few things lol.

a bit more here .....

http://www.greatyarmouthpreservationtrust.org/en/projects/vauxhallbridge

http://www.greatyarmouthpreservationtrust.org/media/uploads/History_of_Vauxhall_Bridge.pdf

maybe one day in the not to distant future they may wish to start using

trams again to connect the rail station to the town across Vauxhall bridge.

• Like 1

Hi Jill, Great set of photos and it is looking a lot better but I am not convinced that so much money should have  been lavished on such a project. Doubt a town such as Great Yarmouth could ever sustain a modern tram system although if the tram-train project shortly to take place between Sheffield and Rotherham is a success, it may see proposals for the Wherry line to be extended into the town.

Fred

It is ridiculous to spend so much money on the bridge IMHO. It's not particularly attractive, is in a crappy part of town and serves no useful purpose other than a foot bridge.

A few years ago, the company I worked for was asked to quote for the bridge being lifted off and placed on the bank to then be refurbished, but the cost was too high for that project to go ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

Came under the bridge today,can't understand the logic of all that money ,which could have been better spent to more use in the town,being spent on the section of bridge which is seen coming downstream.I could see the logic if the other section was being scrapped ,but what happens the the other decaying section and the old walk way?as there sure wont be that sort of cash available I can't imagine what will happen now?

I say weigh it in and put a more attractive bridge in its place, there is good reason why its the last bridge of its type, everyone once saw the light and took theirs down. New modern bridge with more clearance under verses Old rusty and too low? I know where my vote goes. even if restoration is completed how long will it last? Yarmouth is trying to cut its costs in every corner so give it 10yrs and it will just be a rusty lump of metal again. pointless. 

• Like 2