Trials, Tribulations and Triumphs of our first Broads Holiday

Soupdragon

Hi Nick,

The staith at Womak is a great location and the walk up the lane to the Kings Arms is well worth it, I am glad you got in there it is a very busy place.

Regards

Alan

I'm not sure they moored at the staithe ... from the description I think they stopped further down Womack, at those moorings just outside Hunter's Yard, and then walked in.  Could be wrong.

Hi Stephen,

You may be correct, we have moored there in the past on finding no room at the staithe, it is a longer walk up the lane after using the path that takes you past Hunters Yard.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Of course.  Personally I moor in Hunter's Yard ... but then I'm a rag and stick man and I'm allowed  :Sailing .  Nice showers too.   :grin:

I enjoyed your tale, thanks for sharing. Funnily enough I can't think of anything worse than getting in your car in the middle of a boating trip (you've paid a fortune for a boat and you're missing out on using it!) but that makes your story all the more intereresting somehow! Top marks to Richardsons (I'm a regular customer) for swapping the boat. I've been hiring for many years and whatever boat I'm on and wherever I am, there are occasions where I have to draw on all my experience to manouvre the boat/ moor/ unmoor/ navigate a bridge or whatever. I agree the big forward drives must be the most challenging style of boat in many respects.

• Like 1

Loved the tale and have to say top marks to Richardson's to swap the boat - but what a difference it made to your holiday, better to enjoy and be more confident than return and be unhappy because of all the stress of driving a boat.

From initial call, hand over and assistance I must admit Ricardson's are bang on with customer care!

You had a good holiday by the sounds of it overall, apart from 'natures alarm clock' going off ;) and did a lot of things both on dry land and onboard. :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure they moored at the staithe ... from the description I think they stopped further down Womack, at those moorings just outside Hunter's Yard, and then walked in.  Could be wrong.

No right, that is where we moored

Did you go far enough along Horsey beach to see the seals?

Damn, didn't know about that or we would have.

Sorry about the wait but have just finished a 3 shift weekend. Here is the final part of our tale.

Day 7, Sun 1st

The wild fowl were quieter this morning, must be Sunday!! We woke quite early as we were going to have a final cruise down the Ant, the weather was a bit overcast but still warm. A quick coffee and I slipped the ropes and headed out of Stalham. The river was very quiet and only passed a couple of other boats on the move, a few moored up on wild moorings. The kids were still asleep when we left but the engine soon got them out of their bunks. We got to Barton Broad and I decided it was breakfast time so headed just out of the channel and dropped the mud weight. After a cracking breakfast both Clare and me remembered at the same time that it was our wedding anniversary!! We had brought cards but in all the excitement of the holiday it had slipped our minds. We bobbed about for an hour, it was quite windy on the broad, feeding the last bits of bread to the swans and watching the yachts start their racing. Soon I decided it was time to go before there were too many yachts to dodge. We headed back up the Ant but we kept going straight instead of turning right for Stalham and head up towards Wayford. This was an even prettier stretch of river and it was fairly busy. We turned at the bridge and headed back to Richardson’s were we had a lunch consisting of everything that was open in the fridge before we packed up and loaded the car.

The fuel tank was refilled and we went to reception for the refund of what was left of the fuel deposit and to say our goodbyes. Then it was off to Tescos for fuel and the start of the 4 hour, uneventful drive home.

• Like 1

Final thoughts on our week afloat.

I am glad we finally had a holiday on the Broads; it has been something I have wanted to do for a very long time. Would I go again? Probably is the answer I come up with at the moment. Our 1st boat choice was poor for a first timer in my opinion. A centre cockpit is a much easier introduction to boating – again in my opinion. The first 2 days were not enjoyable for me or Clare as she could see I was struggling. Once we changed boats it was a different story and again I can only thank Richardson’s for their help and flexibility in allowing us to change. I was seriously considering going home before then.

If we go again it will be with friends, and it will be out of the main summer season. As Clare works in a school this makes holidays out of school holiday times impossible but I am sure Easter or October half terms would be quieter. We missed a lot of the things I have read about in this and other forums because of the lack of mooring spaces in August.

The Norfolk Broads are a beautiful and sometimes magical place and at times on our holiday we both felt we were somewhere special where the pace of life is completely different from our modern, stressful life. It was almost like being a kid again – no worries, just discovering new things and having fun.

One final question – why are so many pubs named after parts of a king?

• Like 1

Great Tale, thanks for sharing. 

My parents used to hire a long Bathtub style boat like the first one you had but there were lots of us onboard (aunty and uncle cousins and my brothers) to help out so it is lots easier when lots are on board.

I can confirm that the October holiday is a better time to go, ok alittle cooler than in the summer however it's still great and certainly refreshing. We used to always go in the October half term (both my parents were teachers). We went in the back end of the half term last year and managed to get everywhere we wished and it really wasn't that busy.

Hope you manage to revisit.

Paul

Glad it worked out in the end. If you do come again pop back on the forum to discuss the boats you are thinking of hiring-trust me someone will know about them!

We are also stuck with school holidays but worth pointing out this Easter it snowed on the broads, this May half term was lovely but last May half term (Diamond Jubillee) week it was very wet! So it's a bit of pot luck. I have never been at October half term but worth remembering it will be getting dark early so it may make it a little more difficult with the children!

That is a valid point Matt! This year the clocks change on the 26th so first day of the holiday but last year the clocks changed at the end of the half term, which I was watching as it makes a difference to cruising times. And like you say keeping kids occupied is not as easy in the darker nights, however my parents used to manage with taking us to pubs with games rooms and having board games onboard. Stuff like that.

Come back soon Nick.  I understand about the school holidays issue - I too was a teacher (now blissfully retired).  Really enjoyed reading your updates, and with this weeks experience behind you it will be much easier next time.

Christmas is the bumper time for seal watching at Horsey, as the pups arrive.  Boxing Day attracts thousands of visitors.  However, even in the summer, if you pass through 'Horsey Gap', turn right and walk for half a mile, you're almost guaranteed to see a fair number hauled up on the beach sunbathing, and lots more bobbing around in the water.

These pictures were taken a few years back when Mrs Bobdog and our flatcoat retriever were having a paddle ...

post-14321-0-78097600-1378745021_thumb.j

post-14321-0-01978600-1378745073_thumb.j

post-14321-0-71761800-1378745143_thumb.j

post-14321-0-99218500-1378745188_thumb.j

• Like 2