A scam uncovered

quo vadis

Not everyone is clued up about 'breakers', either domestic or on the charging posts. I must confess that I only learnt about them when I bought my current house about 12 years ago. Prior to that I was a dab hand at putting new fuse wire into the old-type fuses, by candle light.

If someone has got some dodgy wiring on their boat, or tries to take off too much power, it's not inconceiveable that they could trip a breaker, then try all the other sockets with the same result. I found the same situation at Coltishall - all breakers tripped - and simply reset the breakers. Sometime later, a ranger arrived (by road) and told me that a boater had reported that the post didn't work!

I recently 'rescued' a first-time hirer who couldn't work out why he wasn't getting any feed from a post. No-one had told him he had to insert a card first!

Scam? Probably not. Ignorance, more likely.

• Like 1

i'll have to borrow a few extention cables for when i'm working on caravelle ....lol .... i have the same type of meter beside caravelle and have only used £1.50 electric the last 3 months despite using lots of power tools . you'd be suprised how little you use ,so if several people put a £1 card in or just one put a £5 in then there will always be a nice float for someone . some people do use the trip switch as an on/off for outside instalations and thats perhaps why there off .

Hello Gary,

I agree a pound card will last all night and has done with two people sharing the socket.

Regards

Alan

Not when they've got the immersion heater on 24/7, Alan! A hirer at Loddon in July was complaining to me just how much they had to feed into the post!

And the privateer who had three 2KW heaters on and kept blowing the trips!

Can't believe my scam was uncovered. I had tripped them in July hoping the credit would still be there next Easter!!

In all seriousness I can't believe how protective people are (and I include myself!) over a couple of quid on an Electric post once you consider the total cost of boating!

• Like 1

Can't believe my scam was uncovered. I had tripped them in July hoping the credit would still be there next Easter!!

In all seriousness I can't believe how protective people are (and I include myself!) over a couple of quid on an Electric post once you consider the total cost of boating!

Matt! You are talking about good beer money there!  :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

I have been known to use left over credit on a leccy post for an extra battery top up overnight, I've also left 90p worth on one so I could use a leccy drill for a few minutes, when you need it you need it.

Saying that as of tommorow I should be the proud owner of a 1000w honda genny for £50! Result :smile:  (yes I do know and trust the source...)