Bounty sovereign 34 sedan

Hi everyone

We have just purchased a 1997 model of the above with a Nanni 85hp 5 cylinder engine and bow thruster. Engine hours are 858. The only significant problem found by the surveyor is a worn  bearing on the prop shaft. It has osmosis but the surveyor said its not much worse than when he last surveyed it in 2006 for the previous owner. It seems fresh water boat owners are not overly troubled by it.

If anyone knows of any issues or problems with this model, we would greatly appreciate it they would kindly let us know. Many thanks.

Robtom

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to ranworthbreeze, jill_r, and jonzo for replying to my post. I am sorry about the delay in replying but I was expecting something to flag up a contact! Anyway the surveyor was Paul Homer and the engine is indeed the 5 cylinder turbo Nanni. We are on the Thames, not the Broads, but I guess the speed limit is the same. 

Our biggest problem so far is the black rubber (or pvc) rubbing strake around the gunwhales and also around the stern nearer the water line. It appears to have shrunk and I need to get hold of some more of the same profile. Wilks have nothing and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know where I can get it, or anyone that used to work for Bounty boats who would know? Thank you in advance if you can help?

Robtom

Fendering  Thank you all for your help. I had already tried Walker Rubber without success But LPH have something similar and I am awaiting sample. Someone at the marina suggested Trendmarine and they also have what appears to be the right profile but again I am awaiting a sample. Watch this space!

Senders and gauges for the holding and water tanks.This boat has none. Has anyone had experience of fitting them? I can just get to the top of the holding tank but there isn't enough free space to drill a hole big enough for the sender. This boat has the second cabin with the 'double' berth. If I remove the panel under the mattress in the trotter box I can see the forward end of the water tank (although not reach it) and there is a small blanking plate which appears to cover a hole for a sender. Was this fitted as new? And how do I get to it? 

Engine There is a metal floor bearer above this, because there is not enough room for a timber bearer, but this has chafed almost through the engine inlet pipe due to its movements on its mountings. I can tape it up of course but the proper solution is to cut a notch in the metal. has anyone done this?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

• Like 1

the company name appears to be

GEORGE CULLEY

8, WADDINGTON FOLD

ROCHDALE

LANCS

i just googled george culley and it came out top of the page

sorry  :bow

• 2 weeks later...

Engine There is a metal floor bearer above this, because there is not enough room for a timber bearer, but this has chafed almost through the engine inlet pipe due to its movements on its mountings. I can tape it up of course but the proper solution is to cut a notch in the metal. has anyone done this?

I have a similar problem, although it was the engine mount in my case so no hope of filing it down.  I have wrapped the area prone to chafe in a piece of old fender held securely by a bunch of cable ties.

It is a lot neater than it sounds - the fender plastic was cut to exactly the circumference of the water hose so it fits snuggly round it, and the cable ties are neatly lined up at about 35mm centres!

good luck!

Peter

Thanks Peter, sounds like a good idea, I will try it. Also thanks Alan for the Littleport tip for fendering. After a lengthy wait I finally have a sample which although a smidgin too wide, is, I'm sure, as close as I'm going to get. 

Reagrding my question about a gauge for the water tank, i have discovered that Tektanks do a system where you can fix sender units to the outside of the tank and check the level. I haven't fitted it yet but I will report back when I do.

Is the Bounty Sovreign 34 a river cruiser, or is there a coastal version, as i can`t understand why a boat designed for use on the Broads would need such a powerful turbocharged engine?. Most broads hire cruisers of that size used to be powered by the ubiquitous "Perkins 4108" or the trusty "BMC 1.5"?. I know of many Alpha 42`s that were powered by the humble BMC 1.5, and performed really well, and they only produced around 35ish hp, and even less when governed at the throttle lever. So why would the Sovereign need such an engine, especially when at "river speeds, or revs" the turbo would, as Jonzo points out, possibly suffer from clogging up?.

Regards to all ...................... Neil.

• 1 month later...