Arrived down at Brundall Yesterday

ranworthbreeze

Tan and I arrived down in Brundall around 12.30pm on Monday and went straight to the boat to unload some of stuff so we could go over to Wroxham to do some shopping and get our Roy's fix.

First of all we called in Greys for some very tasty fish & chips and a dollop of mushy peas (Tan says they were in pots). Off into Roy's we needed a few items and to take back the vacuum cleaner bags that did not fit the cleaner (they refunded  the costs of these even though I forgot to bring the receipt with us and we bought them in April). Have I mentioned that Roy's in a very good shop! The main event shopping for food was next, this took up the available space in the car.

Back to the boat by 3.45pm we were meeting Ian Jennings who we had arranged to meet at 4.00pm to do our Boat Safety Scheme (BSS). Ian is a very pleasant individual and he has his own boat berthed at Bells Marina. It examination went well and we are ok until 2017.

After Ian left it started raining around 5.00 to 5.30 and rained all night, we have had a couple of bright periods today but not for long, needless to say another day in the Marina, I decided to do a few jobs including stripping down the forward table to take it into Broom's Fabrication department for them to do some brazing on the alloy pedestal that had cracked.

It was still very damp out so with not much to do, we looked around a few boats that were for sale at Broom's you can always live in hope.

I know a lot of people knock the Yare, we have never had a bad meal in there, the service is quick and the prices for food must be some of the best on the Broads.

After lunch we picked up the repaired pedestal that I have since fitted. Happy to report that I am now using the Wi-Fi at Tingdene Marina rather than my Vodaphone dongle that was very slow this morning.

Hoping to be on the river tomorrow and heading to Loddon for the evening.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Well,Alan, you've certainly chosen the weather!

I'm currently sat in the Queen of the Icini with a lovely pint of Sundew (at £2.29/pint)!!

It's 11degs, blowing a hooley and raining.... But the forecast does look better for the next few days!

Whatever, have a great time and enjoy the nigh-on empty Yare.

Alan, you're braver than us,..  we are moored opposite you (literally about 30 yards across the marina on the other side) , .. I saw you going out today, I was a little pre-occupied baling out a bit of an underfloor leak from the torrential wind and rain from last night as you passed.   I had to get up about 1am and cut off one of my BA plates on the pulpit rail which was banging like a barn door in the wind !!  

We are down for a short break but apart from the beginning of the week we haven't been too lucky with the weather... also as she is still our new boat ( new to us anyway) we are still discovering new and exciting ways to spend lots of money we haven't got, ...  to fix and repair things that we are enjoying discovering on a daily basis    :party: ... the joys of boating. 

I called wiz-bang or whatever they are called , the new supplier of Tingdene broadband , apparently a a power supply failure around 2 am this morning knocked out most of the service, .. all resumed AOK about 4pm.  I reverted to my 3 dongle which seems to work pretty well around here.

See you around... 

cheersbar

John

• Like 2

A we are still discovering new and exciting ways to spend lots of money we haven't got, ...  to fix and repair things that we are enjoying discovering on a daily basis    :party: ... the joys of boating. 

Don't they normally refer to owning a boat as having a hole in the water that you throw money into....

I think you are discovering the joys of boat ownership,  the joys of boating are actually using one.

I am still at the hiring stage, (or as the posh guys say "chartering")!

• Like 2

Well Alan if you read this, I hope you have a good trip and agree with you regarding the Yare, we've had some good meals in there and taken guests with us who liked food.  I particularly like the salads.  Some of the boats in Broom are a bit eye wateringly expensive, some, more expensive than our house.

Jill_R, Last weekend Lisa made seven and a half litres of sloe gin, ready for next summer.

Hello John & Mary-Jane, where is the Queen of Icini?

Hope your are all in good fettle.

Keith

• Like 1

Don't they normally refer to owning a boat as having a hole in the water that you throw money into....

I think you are discovering the joys of boat ownership,  the joys of boating are actually using one.

I am still at the hiring stage, (or as the posh guys say "chartering")!

You'd think we'd have discovered it by now, .. :idea:   5 boats in 15 years !!   BUT ! .. we seem to have a predetermined role in life, to perform a civil duty, ... a charity , .. .. a sort of social service care in the "boating" community function, .. to buy old boats spend a fortune fixing everything on them,  getting them exactly how we think they should be,..  then selling them on for a loss while we invest another small fortune in something that needs even money spending on.  :roll:

Still that's why we love boating  :grin:

After posting my last message and managing to use the Tingdene Wi-Fi I switched on my laptop the next morning and could not reconnect to the Wi-Fi, then I got the blue screen of death which took over a day to sort out.

As John says we went out on Wednesday after stopping in the Marina for the last two days and stopped the night in Loddon, no phone or internet service.

I have only just started catching up yesterday and this morning.

More latter.

Regards

Alan

On Thursday we travelled from Loddon to to Oulton Board.
When we arrived at Somerleyton Bridge our canopy and masthead were already down, saw a few chaps in a dingy setting up a sign re the restrictions on the bridge, seeing the bridge height board we had about 3 inches clearence on the bridge, a couple of oncoming boats let us through because of the narrowed passage through the bridge.

We moored at the Yacht Station and got setup with a power hookup after paying our way and getting a stamp on the card.

Off to Jeckells for some bits to do a few repairs on the camopy frame locking bolts.

We then called in the Wherry Hotel Tan had the carvery a two course (including a choice of 6 sweets) for £8.99 I was boring and had the fish and a couple of beers, they were very busy but nothing was two much trouble.

A coach party of pensioners were having trouble lifting their plates but all seemed to make their way back to their seats.

We met a chap who mored at the side of us from our Marina, he had only been out 3 times in boat this year, Grandchildren and other commitments had limited his cruising this year.
I do hope we did not keep him awake, soon after arriving at Oulton Broad our aft bilge pump kept cutting in every 10 minutes all through the night.

We left early 7.00am fairly silently out of the Yacht Station, other than the bilge running and hot footed it back to Brundal, needless to say in the rain again (we seem to have had our fair share last week)getting back into our Marina and into the engine bay it was as I thought we had a leak on the fresh water system, a leak from the water pump.

After taking the pump out and a trip up to Brian Ward's, two new o seals. It was back into the engine bay, pump refitted and tested still a leak, isolated removed again off back to Brian Ward's and a new pump purchased and a rake of fittings on sale or return (thanks Tanya & Nick). Back to the boat and installed the new pump, tested and no leaks thank goodness.

We showered and went for another meal in the Yare, Tan had the Steak in ale & mushroom pie (this is really a food group and eaten and regarded by the regulars in the Yare)a pizza for me but it defeated me, I did manage another beer however.

We spent all day Saturday & Sunday training new owners to our boat syndicate however Sunday was to rough to let them even attempt to try mooring the boat.

All visitors gone we set off for a short run to Brammerton Green, lunch on the boat and a slow passage back to the Broom's fuel station for fuel and pump outs. This proved to be our cheapest time on the Broads with regards to fuel, we had only used 45 lites.

Back into the Marina I started cleaning the boat on the outside and 3 hours later it was looking ***** & span, but of course then it started raining after I finished.

Tuesday morning more cleaning then we went looking around boats again so we can report back to owners at our next AGM.

Finally off to Judith's Workshop to find they have moved to Acle, we caught up with Judith at their new premises at Unit 17 Damgate Lane Ind Est Acle.

All we need to do now is to get a quote, decide on curtain material for new curtains for the start of next season.

We had a wet journey back to Sheffield, with delays just after the end of the Norwich byepass.

Regards
Alan

• Like 2

'We had a wet journey back to Sheffield, with delays just after the end of the Norwich byepass.'

Hi Alan, you must have got stuck in the same jam as us last night, it put 50 mins on our journey between Norwich and Kings Lynn.

Then Lorna felt sick in the car so we had to stop again, poor trip home for us, we should have stayed on the boat an extra couple of days as we had planned.

• Like 1